Sam Howell

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sam Howell

Postby abloom » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:46 am

PackAttack wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:29 am I own Sam Howell in a superflex pure rebuild. I also have Richardson and Stroud and will have 2 of the top 4 picks in this upcoming draft (plus two other firsts and five 2nds). For me that makes Howell expendable for the right offer. What do people think his trade value should be? Is he worth a first of some sort at this point? I have only been offered 2 2nds or a 2nd and a young player with some upside.

I like Howell - I got him as a thrown when I dealt Daniel Jones for a first plus other stuff this summer. The upcoming draft has a lot of QBs and Washington could move that direction with such little draft capital committed to Howell. However Howell has looked good enough to keep around with the tiny contract he has for the QB position. Am I foolish to think of trading him?
I'd take any first for him. I think given your team you definitely want to move him. Most likely new coaching staff for the Commies next year. No way of knowing if Howell will have a starting job
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:51 am

PackAttack wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:29 am I own Sam Howell in a superflex pure rebuild. I also have Richardson and Stroud and will have 2 of the top 4 picks in this upcoming draft (plus two other firsts and five 2nds). For me that makes Howell expendable for the right offer. What do people think his trade value should be? Is he worth a first of some sort at this point? I have only been offered 2 2nds or a 2nd and a young player with some upside.

I like Howell - I got him as a thrown when I dealt Daniel Jones for a first plus other stuff this summer. The upcoming draft has a lot of QBs and Washington could move that direction with such little draft capital committed to Howell. However Howell has looked good enough to keep around with the tiny contract he has for the QB position. Am I foolish to think of trading him?
Any first would be great, but may be unlikely. With your build, at some point this season, I'd be happy to take two 2nds, and by the end of the season I'd probably take a mid 2nd just to make sure I got something before Washington replaces him and makes him worthless for fantasy.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:29 am

Personally, I would not trade a 1st for him. So I think both of those offers to you are pretty solid.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:30 am

Washington is also projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason. They could theoretically trade for a disgruntled QB, or there's always the option of reuniting with Kirk Cousins in free agency. There are a lot of QBs in this next class, but it's more likely they'd be looking at a Day 2 selection. I'm not sure Washington will be bad enough to get someone in the Top 10 or so, but we'll see.

Howell hasn't looked terrible, especially when you remember he's a 5th round pick. They're giving him a legitimate shot to prove he can be the guy, but right now I think it's looking more likely they try to upgrade.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:25 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:30 am Washington is also projected to have a lot of cap space next offseason. They could theoretically trade for a disgruntled QB, or there's always the option of reuniting with Kirk Cousins in free agency. There are a lot of QBs in this next class, but it's more likely they'd be looking at a Day 2 selection. I'm not sure Washington will be bad enough to get someone in the Top 10 or so, but we'll see.

Howell hasn't looked terrible, especially when you remember he's a 5th round pick. They're giving him a legitimate shot to prove he can be the guy, but right now I think it's looking more likely they try to upgrade.
Aside from holding it too long and causing the sack total to go up beyond what their bad OL allows….

He’s playing well. His passing metrics are good, he is throwing downfield, his rushing side is underrated, and having EB means a defensive HC doesn’t matter. They should make EB the HC.

PackAttack
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby PackAttack » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Ended up moving him for what should be a high 2nd and Marvin Mims. Happy with that return

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:22 am

Where are we at currently with Howell? Seems to be making great throws and developing each game. Would like to see more rushing from him but they are protecting better and he is getting the ball out quicker. Bone head INT to Dugger but overall is making great throws. Leads the league in completions, 2nd in yards and 7th in TDS.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:40 am

dvpkwys wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:22 am Where are we at currently with Howell? Seems to be making great throws and developing each game. Would like to see more rushing from him but they are protecting better and he is getting the ball out quicker. Bone head INT to Dugger but overall is making great throws. Leads the league in completions, 2nd in yards and 7th in TDS.
I like him. Not so much as a QB1, but he has potential. I like him in Superflex as the QB2 and a bye week, depth move.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:53 am

I wish his progress showed up in my T Mac shares

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:11 am

dvpkwys wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:22 am Where are we at currently with Howell? Seems to be making great throws and developing each game. Would like to see more rushing from him but they are protecting better and he is getting the ball out quicker. Bone head INT to Dugger but overall is making great throws. Leads the league in completions, 2nd in yards and 7th in TDS.
I think he leaves a lot to be desired from a franchise QB. Yes, he leads the league in completions, but WAS also leads the league in Pass Attempts. They are trailing a lot and he gets a lot of fantasy points due to that negative game script.

He takes wayyy too many sacks. He has 44 in 9 games. Next closest is Zach Wilson at 31. Sacks are drive killers and his sack rate is 11.1% of his drop backs. His net yards per pass attempt is 5.5, which is 26th in the league behind names like Ridder, Love, Fields, Tannehill and Pickett. Take out the sacks and his Yards per attempt is still only good for 19th.

He's good for fantasy based on volume, especially now that WAS has shredded their own defense. He should have plenty of opportunities to put up fantasy points. But, I also worry that he's closer to a career backup than he is to a legit NFL starter.

I don't think he's awful and sure he can improve his game, but I am not counting on it.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:32 am

dvpkwys wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:22 amWhere are we at currently with Howell? Seems to be making great throws and developing each game. Would like to see more rushing from him but they are protecting better and he is getting the ball out quicker. Bone head INT to Dugger but overall is making great throws. Leads the league in completions, 2nd in yards and 7th in TDS.
I think Howell is a good QB in SF for a team looking to win in 2023. Maybe even a good choice for 1QB teams that don't have better options.

However, I don't think Howell's job is safe in Washington. If he loses the starting job in 2024, his value will be almost zero for fantasy.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:57 pm

JT’s breakdown of last week below. One of Sam’s sacks was 7 man protection vs. 4 man rush and they had a completely free rusher.

https://youtu.be/GhUlg4aooTM?si=JfT6X7XOjgN5jafn

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:13 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:57 pm 7 man protection vs. 4 man rush and they had a completely free rusher.
phillip rivers levels of protection!

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:59 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:11 am
I think he leaves a lot to be desired from a franchise QB. Yes, he leads the league in completions, but WAS also leads the league in Pass Attempts. They are trailing a lot and he gets a lot of fantasy points due to that negative game script.

He takes wayyy too many sacks. He has 44 in 9 games. Next closest is Zach Wilson at 31. Sacks are drive killers and his sack rate is 11.1% of his drop backs. His net yards per pass attempt is 5.5, which is 26th in the league behind names like Ridder, Love, Fields, Tannehill and Pickett. Take out the sacks and his Yards per attempt is still only good for 19th.

He's good for fantasy based on volume, especially now that WAS has shredded their own defense. He should have plenty of opportunities to put up fantasy points. But, I also worry that he's closer to a career backup than he is to a legit NFL starter.

I don't think he's awful and sure he can improve his game, but I am not counting on it.
I’m not saying Howell is…but this description reminds me of Blake Bortles.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:45 pm

Piled in the shares during the '22 offseason via 3rd/4th rounders and UDFA sweeps through the waiver wire before the season kicked off. I had him as QB2 after Willis and ahead of Corral in what I considered the worst QB class since 2014, and 2019. Had a first round grade during the summer of '21, lost his top two WR's and RB's to the draft and had a clunker of a passing season, though he added a running element that was just really peculiar (struggling for an analogy, he's not fast, doesnt have a second gear, but he's quick enough to escape the first line of defense, and then seems to be excellent at picking out angles, and wiggling through seams here and there and juking guys, not like Lamar, RGIII, or Randall, more, maybe like a less athletic Elway if that makes sense, not a freak, but really effective at picking up yards in clumps on the ground when need be).

After that offseason I had him on 5 of my 6 superflex teams, and a couple of my 1QB leagues.

It's looking like a fantastic investment now. He's getting better over time, consistently producing in the 4th quarter, and under pressure, he has games where he doesn't have "it" like a pitcher not having their curve (the Giants and Bears games were particularly awful, same with the Bills), but after 11 starts, he's basically had 3 stinkers and 8 solid to very good games despite playing with a garbage defense, horrible OL, and below average surrounding talent, and a trash HC.

It's looking damn good. For those that picked him up cheap, looks like it was a smart hold because they are playing their way out of range of even trading up for Williams and Maye, and the new FO will likely want to fix the OL while giving Howell a second season full of starts to confirm the building track record. The second half schedule is much tougher, but it's also weirder, they get four tough defenses down the stretch (Cowboys twice, Niners and Jets, along with the Rams sagging formerly great D, and the Miami weird one), but December could be odd:

Will NYJ and the Rams be tanking in weeks 15 and 16? Maybe. Will the Niners and Cowboys be resting guys in weeks 17 and 18? Possibly. Makes for a weird finale.

Most of the Commanders faithful are believers at this point, despite being cynical and jaded, and been pounded into the ground for decades. I'm cautiously optimistic. All signs are he's legit, but it's still day 3 draft capital, easy to dump to the side w/a new regime likely coming in, especially if the season goes sideways w/that tough second half schedule. But w/the team likely to win at least 6 or 7, maybe 8, they wont be in position to easily acquire a new QB, and may not want to with the OL a total shambles. Most of the higher end analytic models put him in the middle of the league generally, but there are unusual #'s, like big time throws, where he's right there with the superstars of the last 10-15 years in their first 15+ career starts. Very exciting prospect, and its worth remembering, in the early and late summer of '21, this guy was in the mocks getting drafted between the early first and the teens pretty consistently before he ---- the bed his final year. It's looking more and more like he was always that guy from '19 and '20, and not the mess of '21.