Desmond Ridder

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
81-
Captain
Captain

Re: Desmond Ridder

Postby 81- » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:20 pm

Three good, three bad for fantasy use. Bye week dice roll. Hopefully he finds a grove. 6/6 td/int ratio not so good.
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:46 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:50 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:17 pm Worst starting QB in the NFL, and it's not really close at this point. Amazing that Arthur Smith is willing to go down this way.
Based on what? Atlanta is low twenties on most major stats. He’s certainlly not good, but he’s flashed here and there. Early to tell at this point.
You realize the post your commenting on is almost 3 weeks old, right?

I wouldn't say it's too early to tell that he isn't franchise QB material though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Not too early to tell IMO

He is not

Yes he looks less bad than he did weeks ago in that he can consistently complete passes 10 yards downfield but the bar should be higher than a bunch of yards and 3 INTs with these weapons and defense

I would however say the ineptitude these past couple games is as much on Arthur Smith as on Ridder

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:40 am

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:55 pmHe'll be the starter next year
Very possible, but nowhere close to a guarantee.

I could easily see a situation where, if AZ made Kyler available, Kyler ends up in ATL in the offseason. In that scenario, Ridder likely ends up on a new team and my guess is he'd be a back-up on almost every other NFL team.

But if Ridder remains in ATL and ATL does not get a better QB, and Ridder finishes this season looking about how he does now (with fewer terrible INTs), I agree he has at least 60/40 odds of being the 2024 opening day starter.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:39 am

Anteaters wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:40 am

I could easily see a situation where, if AZ made Kyler available, Kyler ends up in ATL in the offseason. In that scenario, Ridder likely ends up on a new team and my guess is he'd be a back-up on almost every other NFL team.

But if Ridder remains in ATL and ATL does not get a better QB, and Ridder finishes this season looking about how he does now (with fewer terrible INTs), I agree he has at least 60/40 odds of being the 2024 opening day starter.
Yep. Backup almost anywhere else. Kyler is a possibility, and even if it's not Kyler, they would likely look to upgrade unless Ridder really improves. Cousins is a UDFA, and of course, we've seen QB's move around like never before, a trade is always a possibility with other QB's outside of Kyler. Maybe Fields ends up there, who knows?

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:36 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:39 am
Anteaters wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:40 am

Yep. Backup almost anywhere else. Kyler is a possibility, and even if it's not Kyler, they would likely look to upgrade unless Ridder really improves. Cousins is a UDFA, and of course, we've seen QB's move around like never before, a trade is always a possibility with other QB's outside of Kyler. Maybe Fields ends up there, who knows?
Sounds gross, but I wouldn’t rule out Ryan Tannehill reuniting with Arthur Smith there either.

I definitely think it’s possible Ridder is still the guy next year. I think it’s slightly more likely he isn’t though. Just my opinion.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am

Ridder and Tannehill are equals, only Tannehill is sharply declining and Ridder is peaking, yet they occupy the same plane.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:56 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am Ridder and Tannehill are equals, only Tannehill is sharply declining and Ridder is peaking, yet they occupy the same plane.
If this is Ridder's peak...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:14 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:56 pm
SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am Ridder and Tannehill are equals, only Tannehill is sharply declining and Ridder is peaking, yet they occupy the same plane.
...and Tanny is possibly on his last season as a starter because of the quality of his play ... maybe Ridder is on his final season as a starter also?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:34 pm

Anteaters wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:14 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:56 pm
...and Tanny is possibly on his last season as a starter because of the quality of his play ... maybe Ridder is on his final season as a starter also?
That would be commensurate

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:39 pm

Yes. I see Smith's plan now. I suspected it was such before, but he had a better handle on how bad his division (Saints) were, than me. Win with a good roster, buy yourself more time. You haven't even got "your guy" yet. Going to Heinecke, although maybe better, is one less card he has to play, in a terrible division, where, he arguably has the best roster.

Win the division without "YOUR GUY", you've got a few years, at least. I actually commend him for holding Bijan out, and winning, despite the fact Bijan wanted to be out there. He DID play Bijan on the game winning drive, which was cool.

I guess Arthur is going to ride Ridder until he's forced to go to Taylor, and only then, as the division is so wide open, and he's still got the backup card to play, and then the "I need my guy" card, after that.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm

Falcons had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. My expectation was that Ridder would do just well enough for them to make the playoffs and to keep his job next year. Lots of football left, but he's got a shot at both.

Ridder was my top QB in the 2022 class, which is more about how weak that QB group was. I do think he's got a shot in the NFL. Fortunately for him, he's in a run-heavy offense with a plethora of weapons, so he can follow the Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott path of developing behind a stellar run game into a good QB. Arthur Smith hates your fantasy team, but he seems to be a good football coach.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:25 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm Falcons had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. My expectation was that Ridder would do just well enough for them to make the playoffs and to keep his job next year. Lots of football left, but he's got a shot at both.

Ridder was my top QB in the 2022 class, which is more about how weak that QB group was. I do think he's got a shot in the NFL. Fortunately for him, he's in a run-heavy offense with a plethora of weapons, so he can follow the Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott path of developing behind a stellar run game into a good QB. Arthur Smith hates your fantasy team, but he seems to be a good football coach.
I don't think Ridder has the talent of either of those 2, but who knows? It could be Ridder, it could be Shidder. :lol: He seems to lack a bit of on field awareness that those 2 had, even in their rookie years, but they also had a better team, no doubt. That GL fumble, then the TD run, that wasn't because he got casual, without switching the ball to his left hand......I mean, come ON. Their D won this game for them, no other way to say it. They are winning in spite of him, right now.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:25 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:00 pm Falcons had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. My expectation was that Ridder would do just well enough for them to make the playoffs and to keep his job next year. Lots of football left, but he's got a shot at both.

I don't think Ridder has the talent of either of those 2, but who knows? It could be Ridder, it could be Shidder. :lol: He seems to lack a bit of on field awareness that those 2 had, even in their rookie years, but they also had a better team, no doubt. That GL fumble, then the TD run, that wasn't because he got casual, without switching the ball to his left hand......I mean, come ON. Their D won this game for them, no other way to say it. They are winning in spite of him, right now.
I was watching Red Zone so I couldn't tell if the botched snap was his fault or the centers, but safe to assume it's on Ridder. The touchback fumble was definitely a boneheaded one, but one that's in the acceptable range for me for a young QB in his position. Another way to look at it is he led the team on those two drives that should've been touchdowns and had things not gotten wonky, they would've put Tampa away much more handily.

This game was a pretty good summary to me of what this season will be, though. Atlanta wins against lesser competition because they have a solid team. Ridder performs basically as a game manager, with the Falcons and fantasy owners hoping that he can develop into a franchise-level starter.

As long as they're winning more than they're losing, there's no point in putting Heinicke in there in my opinion.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:16 pm

Arthur Smith is 4-3 against a weak as bleep schedule after 2 losing years

His side of the ball has been bad all those years despite being the one with 3 top 10 picks made during his regime

Yeah he's not the worst coach but this idea that he's good because he "just winZ," and "owns the fantasy football nerds" is a joke

This game should have been 34-13

Now that said I do think there is some level of conversation to be had on Ridder looking deeper. Taking off my priors, maybe we should be talking about him moving the ball much better than before rather than the somewhat fluky turnovers after having gotten the ball downfield

Still believe Heineke is better but like...if I'm the Falcons coaches and thought highly of Ridder preseason and as a prospect these games have probably increased my faith in him

Now I did NOT like Ridder as a prospect or player so I believe this is most likely fool's gold but still---worth considering the other side because the level of crap in this division (the best QB is...I guess Baker at this point) and Blank's historical patience means these two are probably going to squeeze out enough mediocrity to be here for longer than their performance dictates