D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:08 am

The guy was someone I was looking forward to watching/drafting when he was a sophomore. We have a big enough track record now, it's time to re-evaluate his Dynasty ranking. He's got to move down, he's been talked about as a top 5 back, and he's not. The guy can't stay on the field, and then he has a game or two with significant touches, looks great, then comes up on the injury report, and misses time. He's now relegated to a few touches a game, after returning.

His positional coach has publicly called him out multiple times over the last year and a half, about the difference between being hurt and injured, and how he needs to play through more. He can't. He is super talented, but it appears he's just not built to be a signifcant touch back in the NFL. Not everybody is, and maybe it's not his fault, but it's clear to me, his ranking and value need to drop. The sample size is large enough at this point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: D'Andre Swift: Skilled but "soft"

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:29 am

It's pretty interesting, because even though Swift is short (5'8-5'9), he's not a small guy. He's 215 and has a BMI in the 90 percentile that's comparable to Ray Rice and MJD. He never missed a game in college and had a pretty notable workload there.

I hesitate to say he's soft or isn't capable of playing through pain. I think coaches who are encouraging players to play through pain is a bad approach though and it's just going to lead to a worse injury. But it's clear he's had bad injury luck as a pro and can't stay on the field.

I don't know how much I would drop him though, because he's an RB1 when he plays and the injuries (groin strain, AC joint, concussion, ankle sprain, shoulder strain) don't seem to paint anything abnormal.

I think his price in the offseason will still probably be around 1.04-1.06, which is about what people paid when he came into the league.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:04 am

Looking at his injury history (NFL) it looks like AC joint sprains, groin strains, and ankle injury. Nothing really jumps out to me as being soft. Those are daily significant injuries for rbs, and injuries that can get worse and aggregated fairly easily if you continue to play.

If the inhuries were more like bone bruises or other pain tolerance injuries I'd be more concerned.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 am

Some say "injury prone" isn't a thing, but I think it is. It's difficult to count, so it doesn't exist, right? Some guys just can't stay healthy enough to play.

Agree on the talent, that's clearly not his issue. I'd buy if the price is low enough, but I really doubt his owners will want to sell for what I'd pay.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:17 am

Is he soft for not playing through these injuries that can easily worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table. Or is he smart for not playing through an injury that can worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:21 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:17 am Is he soft for not playing through these injuries that can easily worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table. Or is he smart for not playing through an injury that can worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table.
I think all NFL players are fighting an injury during the season. If it's not going to stop them from practicing and playing in a game, it's not reported. Swift is handling it differently than the Lion's coaches like, and they don't trust him to have a lot of touches. That says something to me.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:19 am

It feels like they're bubble wrapping him a bit too much. If you're good enough to play then you shouldn't be at risk for re-injury if you have more than 10 touches. I'm still not out on Swift, this is a classic situation where if he gets 15 this week and he gets 15 the week after his value will skyrocket back up. Week 1 showed how good he can look, we need to see if the coaches continue with this approach.

I can tell you for a fact when he made that incredible grab to get down to the 2 yard line he didn't want to come out of the game whatsoever. In games Swift has played he hasn't scored under 6 points in .5 PPR even on his limited touches and snaps. Here are some RBs who have at least one 6 point or less game this year: Dalvin, Mixon, Fournette, Aaron Jones (3 times), Sanders, Najee. I know that's an extremely arbitrary threshold but when he plays he's phenomenal.

This is a classic buy situation to me. His owners are probably fed up and you can get him for a random mid 1st. He's still only 23, younger than Najee, CMC, Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Dalvin, etc. I think the book is far from written.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:31 am

Jamal Williams is almost equally as effective with an ADP of what, 80 spots lower? 100 spots?

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:48 am

Detroit is run by a bunch of tough guys who would rather give the ball to an RB who fights to turn a 3 yard carry into 4-5 yards than an RB who can break a 50-yard carry at any moment (while also still getting 3-5 yards regularly).

Swift is clearly not the most durable player in the world (weird given he was pretty healthy in college), but they just don't seem to care to feed him.

Bad, old-school coaching in Detroit. There's a reason teams care more about strategy than macho-ness nowadays.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:51 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:48 am Detroit is run by a bunch of tough guys who would rather give the ball to an RB who fights to turn a 3 yard carry into 4-5 yards than an RB who can break a 50-yard carry at any moment (while also still getting 3-5 yards regularly).

Swift is clearly not the most durable player in the world (weird given he was pretty healthy in college), but they just don't seem to care to feed him.

Bad, old-school coaching in Detroit. There's a reason teams care more about strategy than macho-ness nowadays.

Also, fighting themselves out of contention for Stroud/Young. Imagine a threatening QB with Swift.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:59 am

I would be oft injured if I was a great talent on the Lions too... Why risk it for a team that you dont want to play for that doesnt have any future prospects?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:51 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:21 am
Mjvb5 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:17 am Is he soft for not playing through these injuries that can easily worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table. Or is he smart for not playing through an injury that can worsen and then be used against him at the negotiating table.
I think all NFL players are fighting an injury during the season. If it's not going to stop them from practicing and playing in a game, it's not reported. Swift is handling it differently than the Lion's coaches like, and they don't trust him to have a lot of touches. That says something to me.
Is Swift sitting out games for minor reasons that the typical NFL player could play through? Based on his injury history this doesn't seem to be the case.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:51 am

Clearly the Lions coaching staff is sending a message. Jamaal is the attitude they want to reward to set a tone for the team. He can fumble a game away , come up short on crucial 3rd & 4th downs yet still get the rock next week in same situations.

Swift can be cookin' & they will take him out every time to "protect" him. Give me a break , game on the line he should be in . If indeed Swift is still that limited he shouldn't be dressed at all if you're really worried about injury. Doesn't appear he wants to come out and if he's not in shape enough to do more than he is he shouldn't be dressed because you are putting him @ risk

Now if it is Swift not wanting to practice or play more then I wouldn't give the sugar at goal line so he can get the glory either. That wouldn't send a good message to the locker room. Show me in practice and then you can get your turn. If you say you're not up to it during the week I'm not trusting you on Sunday nor do I want to. It would be different if you had a history of giving your all but Swifty doesn't, quite the contrary.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:51 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:21 am
Is Swift sitting out games for minor reasons that the typical NFL player could play through? Based on his injury history this doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't know. Maybe he's sitting out practices though. The Lions staff has kind of called him out for it, and he's not getting a ton of touches. Where there's smoke, there's fire IMO.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:20 am

Yeah I've the announcers say the same thing during games. "Staff is pushing him to work through the nicks and bruises that will happen"