Keeper confusion

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
actionjackson
Rookie
Rookie

Keeper confusion

Postby actionjackson » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:20 pm

I'm new to keeper leagues (as is the rest of my league)...just wondering how this scenario typically plays out. My understanding was that we were essentially a redraft league with 1 keeper. So I made a few trades:

#1) I traded Andrews and Jeff Wilson for Travis Kelce.

#2) I traded my 2nd round pick for Najee Harris

So now here is where my league is at, the commish is telling me that I will need to choose:

A) between my 1st round selection and Harris because they were both 1st rounders
B) I will essentially forfeit Kelce because I don't have a 2nd and he was drafted in the 2nd (making the trade-up a terrible idea, because now I have no TE for next year!)

So essentially I traded Andrews for Kelce and forfeited the value of both unknowingly moving forward?

My head hurts trying to make sense of this, help me out!

*As we are all new to this, how does this situation TYPICALLY play out?

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Keeper confusion

Postby frerichs5 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:55 pm

Well if it’s a single keeper, you weren’t keeping Kelce and Harris both anyway.

But it sounds like a lot of keepers I’ve done. You lose the pick in the round the player was drafted. Harris was probably a 1st round pick, so you lose a 1st to keep him the next year.

But there are a ton of different ways to play keeper. Some leagues have no draft penalty, just keep however many. Some you will lose an extra round each year. Meaning a player you draft in the 5th will cost a 5th, but if you keep them again will cost a 4th, and so on.

Sounds like the league really just needs some established rules.

actionjackson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Keeper confusion

Postby actionjackson » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:25 pm

amen to that...but it is a bunch of good guys so i can forgive it for this year!

Cheers.