2022-23 coaching carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2022-23 coaching carousel

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:56 pm

mild wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 am Schotty was in Seattle from 2018-2020. Did you see Russ's numbers for those 3 years?

The "stone age" you refer to, was Pete Carroll wanting to run more, IMO. Russell's best offensive numbers came under this guy. There was, as far as I know, a philosophical difference between how Carroll wanted to do things, and Schotty, and Schotty wasn't the "stone aged" guy.

Kellen Moore really wasn't all that great, and TBH, he started off hot, and sort of dissipated. He's a bit of a disappointing hire for Herbert. I am not expecting Dallas to be worse next year, on offense, based on this switch.
I'm happy to go the other way on Kellen Moore. I think he's an excellent hire, even if you think he's only league average (I don't, I suspect he's better) - that's still a lot better than what Lombardi was scheming for our favourite big-armed galoot.

I like your Russell Wilson angle, but as Ice so rightly said - this isn't Schotty's offense, it's magic Mike McCarthy's.

Y'know, the guy we last saw calling plays with in-his-Prime Aaron Rodgers. The guy that mis-managed multiple playoff games, and "conservatived" his way to Cabo most every year. The guy that has now lost to the 49ers in back-to-back playoffs with two seperate teams as the Head Coach. The guy that spent a day at the PFF offices, told Jerry he "was big on analytics now" at their sleepover, and then admitted he lied at the press conference. The guy that was getting massages on company time rather than attending his meetings. That guy.

Just spitballing here, but is it good for Mike's case here if Aaron Rodgers immediately rips off 2 MVP seasons back-to-back as soon as Mike and his scheme is gone from Green Bay? Asking for a friend.
For sure, to a point. The counter point I'd argue is, if McCarthy doesn't get it done to say, NFC title game this year, he may be gone. Petey has a lot more pull with their GM that McCarthy has with Jerry. Carroll is perhaps the most powerful man in that organization, outside the owner. I think he has more power than the GM, and since Jerry is the GM, totally different dynamics between the 2 organizations.

Now I'd say that what he did with Russ, after seeing a season like Dak just had, might have been part of the reason for his hire, especially after seeing Russ's disaster this year. I don't think McCarthy would be so set in stone, and may have brought in Schotty to get a resurgence from Dak, because of the numbers and efficiency, Russ displayed with Schotty.

This is of course, all guess work, I just see Carroll and McCarthy at different power levels, and situations. McCarthy may be willing to concede on certain points, and wants input on how to get Dak back to higher levels, like Russ showed the 3 years he was with Schotty.

I don't think Mike is obtuse enough to understand he needs to deliver soon, or he's gone, and that he may need help offensively, to evolve the system in order to hit the standards they are looking for. Not overhauling, just tinkering, and Schotty has a better track record, at least in and more experience thatn his predecessor. At least in the QB's area, It may work, it may not.

It's all about getting Dak back on track, and Schotty had Russ throwing a ton of TD's, not a lot of INT's, and they weren't a big pass heavy team in terms of attempts. In fact, his TD rate was insane, in those years. I think that has a lot to do with this hire.

2018 427 attempts/35 TD passes/7 INT's

2019 516 attempts/31 TD passes/5 INT's

2020 558 attempts/40 TD passes/13 INT's

Now admittedly the turnover rate on the highest number of attempts was larger (as were the TD passes, however). I think they saw that if they can couple Dak with a strong run game, they can get the best out of him with that TD to turnover ration, though. Overall, those 3 years of 106 TD's/25 INT's is really, really good. I just think they saw something in the efficiency of TD's to INT's and pass attempts, where it didn't have to be Dak throwing 40 times a game. I could be wrong.

Carroll, I don't think ever had the same, breathing down the neck feeling MM has right now, I think Petey know's he's the power in that organization, and McCarthy know's he's not.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm

49ers hire Steve Wilks as their DC.

God, they're so good at this. Easy path here to Wilks showing out with the 49ers D after he clearly proved competent as the interim in CAR - sparking a mini-win streak that almost had them in the playoffs.

And if he does get picked up next cycle, then they'll be getting another Comp pick. No team is leveraging their ability to identify and promote coaching talent better, imo.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm

mild wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm 49ers hire Steve Wilks as their DC.

God, they're so good at this. Easy path here to Wilks showing out with the 49ers D after he clearly proved competent as the interim in CAR - sparking a mini-win streak that almost had them in the playoffs.

And if he does get picked up next cycle, then they'll be getting another Comp pick. No team is leveraging their ability to identify and promote coaching talent better, imo.
Have to agree here; He is a solid hire to replace a great D Coordinator and he has really good players.

Win for the Texans to get Demeco and win for the 49's get Wilks as a replacement.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm Have to agree here; He is a solid hire to replace a great D Coordinator and he has really good players.

Win for the Texans to get Demeco and win for the 49's get Wilks as a replacement.
On some days, we choose violence.

But on this day, we choose peace. :D

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:40 pm

mild wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm Have to agree here; He is a solid hire to replace a great D Coordinator and he has really good players.

On some days, we choose violence.

But on this day, we choose peace. :D
Some days you don't wear your tinfoil hat and actually make sense!

Hahaha couldn't resist! J/K :wave:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:56 am

Ravens hire Todd Monken as OC.

Love this hire. Thought the Jets should've been one of the teams that moved on him. Start buying Ravens skill-position talent. Monken has a proven track record of getting the most out of offenses.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:49 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:56 am Ravens hire Todd Monken as OC.

Love this hire. Thought the Jets should've been one of the teams that moved on him. Start buying Ravens skill-position talent. Monken has a proven track record of getting the most out of offenses.
I'm rubbing my hands together mad scientist style, anticipating what this means for my shares of Lamar and Andrews shares! :twisted:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:28 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:56 am Ravens hire Todd Monken as OC.

I do think this was the best option for the OC spot

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:04 pm

Bucs hire Dave Canales as OC. Should be interesting to see what kind of offense he brings with him, as he has never called plays before, but has notable coaching experience in the league. Started coaching at age 28 and spent the past 13 years as an assistant coach under Pete Carroll (8 years WR coach, 3 years QB coach, including this past year with Geno Smith, 2 years passing game coordinator) with 4 different OCs.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 am

Looks like Eric Bieniemy is going to the Commanders as OC. 2 SBs as the OC for KC and still has to prove more.

Let's see what Washington ends up doing at QB next year. Don't think they should be looking at Wentz or Howell as the guy.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:09 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 am Looks like Eric Bieniemy is going to the Commanders as OC. 2 SBs as the OC for KC and still has to prove more.

Let's see what Washington ends up doing at QB next year. Don't think they should be looking at Wentz or Howell as the guy.
I don't see the allure. Why jump ship from a cush OC job to one where you're going to be on the hot seat in 2 years if you don't magically turn the train wreck around? I truly don't think he ever wants to be a HC in the NFL, but this is an odd choice.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:13 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:09 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 am Looks like Eric Bieniemy is going to the Commanders as OC. 2 SBs as the OC for KC and still has to prove more.

I don't see the allure. Why jump ship from a cush OC job to one where you're going to be on the hot seat in 2 years if you don't magically turn the train wreck around? I truly don't think he ever wants to be a HC in the NFL, but this is an odd choice.
It seems like teams want him to prove that KC's success over the last 5 years wasn't just Reid and Mahomes.

I agree with you though. I would've just stayed in KC. Keep winning with Mahomes and eventually someone will give in. What can you do in Washington with no QB?

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:57 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:13 am

It seems like teams want him to prove that KC's success over the last 5 years wasn't just Reid and Mahomes.

I agree with you though. I would've just stayed in KC. Keep winning with Mahomes and eventually someone will give in. What can you do in Washington with no QB?
Seems like excuses given that Pederson and Nagy came from the exact same setup and got head coaching jobs.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:45 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:57 am

Seems like excuses given that Pederson and Nagy came from the exact same setup and got head coaching jobs.
I think there's something about Bienemy that people don't like. Maybe he's an old school hard bleep like Jim Harbaugh & Mike Zimmer. Or maybe he has skeletons in the closet. There's something we don't know.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:54 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:45 pm
ericanadian wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:57 am

I think there's something about Bienemy that people don't like. Maybe he's an old school hard bleep like Jim Harbaugh & Mike Zimmer. Or maybe he has skeletons in the closet. There's something we don't know.
Whatever the reason, Ericanadian is correct that saying Bienemy needs to further prove himself seems like an excuse. He's done more than many others and done it longer than many who have been promoted from OC to HC.

He's proven himself. If the excuse for his not receiving a HC offer is skeletons, they must be the kind of skeletons that would also keep a team from hiring him as an OC.

And if there exist skeletons, this curious mind wants to know what. Does Eric have foot fetish? A drug habit? Does Mahomes secretly hate him and badmouth him to investigators from other teams?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser