General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022-23 coaching carousel

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am Kellen Moore to the Chargers. I'll take that W for Herbert.
I'm not sure it's a W.

It seems like Moore's stock peaked and has crashed some. He was once being viewed as potentially the next McVay, but the results since then haven't been great. Not all completely on him, but I think Jason Garrett's ineptitude benefit his outlook some. He came in and was better than Garrett, but that's not the bar every other team will look at him at.
Interesting take. I saw it as McCarthy holding Moore back this year, but could be wrong. I'm probably biased in that McCarthy is just a meat and potatoes guy that doesn't impress me. I'm hoping LAC gives Moore the reigns to run the game he wants.
And Herbert > Dak, so he's got a better base to work from. Good skill position talent to work with too. This hire is potentially good for all involved I think. I would be curious to learn more about the "mutual decision" to part ways though. Not that we will.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 am

I'm not sure it's a W.

It seems like Moore's stock peaked and has crashed some. He was once being viewed as potentially the next McVay, but the results since then haven't been great. Not all completely on him, but I think Jason Garrett's ineptitude benefit his outlook some. He came in and was better than Garrett, but that's not the bar every other team will look at him at.
Interesting take. I saw it as McCarthy holding Moore back this year, but could be wrong. I'm probably biased in that McCarthy is just a meat and potatoes guy that doesn't impress me. I'm hoping LAC gives Moore the reigns to run the game he wants.
And Herbert > Dak, so he's got a better base to work from. Good skill position talent to work with too. This hire is potentially good for all involved I think. I would be curious to learn more about the "mutual decision" to part ways though. Not that we will.
As a Cowboy fan I thought it was time to make an O Coordinator change. I do think Moore is solid but Dak has regressed two years in a row and Moore can become a little repetitive. He loves TE usage and RB usage out of the backfield so good news for those positions. He also loves mid level out routes; that hurt Dak but Herbert has a way stronger arm.

Dallas fans are much happier they didn't lose their D Coordinator. I can see Moore wanting out; while good he was the 3rd wheel so to speak behind McCarthy and Quinn. The Players are really high on McCarthy and Quinn.

Could be a rare win/win for the Cowboys and Chargers.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:46 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am Kellen Moore to the Chargers. I'll take that W for Herbert.
I'm not sure it's a W.

I promise this is a massive win.

Regardless of anything else you think about Kellen Moore, his scheme is modern, attacks the full field, and features plenty of pre-snap motion - ie. that thing the best offenses in the league are all doing now.

Let's just assume that Kellen Moore is a "league average OC". I think that's a pretty even-handed assessment of him, no? (I would personally argue he's a slight notch above that, but let's move on)

I think the Chargers have literally just gone from "bottom of the barrel" OC play-calling and scheme to "at least league average" and I see that as a massive upgrade for our tall rocket-armed prince.

Buy any Herbert you can if their owners think this is somehow an L.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:47 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm
Ice wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:22 pm

Every situation is different but let’s be real for a minute here, the owner is just that. It’s not about what I backed or didn’t back personally.

Do you want someone telling you where you must shop, what to wear, what to eat, who to hire if you own a company or do you want to make your own choices.

No doubt it’s an offensive minded league but even that is just one reason. It’s a complex hire, period.

Living in Houston, I hope they hire Ryans because he has been great at pretty much everything he has ever done and seems a great leader of men.

It doesn’t matter what his skin tone is, what matters are his qualifications and if he and the owner of the team can work together.

I think the Colts owner is an idiot personally but it is his team and frankly his choice.

Having the right to make a choice matters, it’s not about sides and I ask you, who should make the call and if you’re making the decision what criteria should be used?
Each individual owner owns a franchise and there are rules about how you go about hiring people specifically because of the optics involved reflect badly on the overall business that is the NFL and probably causes issues with the union. I don’t think the Saturday thing is race related. I think Irsay is, as you said, an idiot. Should he be able to hire whoever he likes even if it makes no sense? Sure, provided he follows the protocols of the NFL for hiring that person. He did follow the letter of the law here, but it started a conversation about whether or not he followed the spirit of that law and that causes problems for the NFL. Even beyond that, it’s perfectly reasonable for paying fans to pressure the owner of the teams they support over poor decisions in the hiring of coaches. It’s reasonable for the media to criticize it. If they want to take the race angle, I’m fine with them taking it because its possible and rich bleep billionaires making bad decisions with sports teams isnt somewhere I’m looking to hand out the benefit of the doubt.

Apologies in advance if I restated something someone already brought up. On vacation with a grumpy toddler. This post took way longer than planned.
Now that Irsay is or has given Saturday multiple interviews, I am staying away from Colts players. It clear he's usurped the GM, and meddling owners tend to derail stability. Saturday, I thought maybe was put there to analyze the current coaching staff after Reich's departure, but as a full time HC, he has no business being hired, or considered, against so many others that have paid there dues, as Giles said earlier this year.

I agree that it is Irsay's choice, but it sure seems like nepotism, or Saturday has been in his ear so long he's convinced him he knows what he's doing, and Irsay trusts him, but Irsay seems to have issues with things outside of football that may be clouding his judgement. All Saturday has on his coaching resume is the biggest collapse in league history.

The Colts seem like a franchise trending in a really bad direction.
Yes… that RB class of Swift, Dobbins, Taylor & Edwards-Helaire are really having a difficult time.

There may still be some value in some Colts. Even the old Al Davis Raiders had a guy or two.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:23 pm

Broncos get Sean Payton. Russ might have some life left

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:23 pm Broncos get Sean Payton. Russ might have some life left
My Jeudy stonks just breathed a big sigh of relief.

Glad Denver got semi-humbled into breaking out the wallet and getting over themselves. They were bungling the hiring cycle to this point.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:30 pm

... and there goes Demeco Ryans to the Texans.

Cool homecoming for him. I'll be very curious to see who he brings with him to be his OC.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:30 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:23 pm Broncos get Sean Payton. Russ might have some life left
My Jeudy stonks just breathed a big sigh of relief.

Glad Denver got semi-humbled into breaking out the wallet and getting over themselves. They were bungling the hiring cycle to this point.

I'm so ready for him to make that year 4 jump!

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:31 pm

Great news for Wilson owners.

mild
Legend
Legend

Re: 2022 coaching carousel

Postby mild » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:31 pm

mild wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:36 am Payton would be dumb to take it.....to me, it's his party pushing a narrative to start a bidding war....the Broncos mess would have to "pony" up, (pun intended) a great deal more than the rest. No good coach would want that disaster, but it would be great to use for someone to pay a bit more, just having the idea out there......the Broncos job is a job no coach should want, right now, unless they get paid a ton of dough. A guy like Sean would need a f@ch ton to go to that disaster, it would be a Gruden like deal.
I mean, "dumb to take it" unless it's a figure where he's "dumb NOT to take it", right?

We've got a perfect alignment here of franchise desperation, deep pockets beyond any other ownership group, and said group that features literally the GOAT of Formula 1 in Lewis Hamilton, along with some other very successful humans.

Not to go too in depth, but I follow the F1 pretty closely - and the importance of having "the right people" in charge AND spending every resource available to you to give yourself a competitive edge is what that sport is all about, and he's seen it first hand for the better part of two decades. He's a vocal guy, I can promise you he will be pushing for them to hire "whoever the best is, and spare no expense".

And yes, of course it'll be a Gruden-style offer - because that's what they've got to do to land him. Payton will have carte blanche, because the deal will need to give him contract assurances beyond Wilson's DEN tenure.
Can't wait for the contract details to come out. Without a doubt, Payton just reset the HC position for salary - even if we never hear about it.

Dumb to take it, indeed! 8-)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 pm

Payton is probably getting a pretty sweet deal to go to Denver on top of power. Agreed with mild. If it's not a Gruden deal, it'll be pretty damn close.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 pm Payton is probably getting a pretty sweet deal to go to Denver on top of power. Agreed with mild. If it's not a Gruden deal, it'll be pretty damn close.
He will get paid handsomely, no doubt. Russ's style does not really mesh with his system, but if he can't get it together with Payton, I think it's safe to say he truly is washed.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:52 pm

Watch out Chargers

Broncos are coming for that offseason champs crown

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:11 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:30 pm ... and there goes Demeco Ryans to the Texans.

Cool homecoming for him. I'll be very curious to see who he brings with him to be his OC.
Love this hire for the Texans. He was a great player for them and has been a stud in whatever role he has had since College.

Looks like he could be the next great coach. Very High IQ individual.

The Texans have a lot of assets to work with. They could be a force in a few years.

Caley may have a legit shot as OC but not sure. He is from the Pats organization and a young coach.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:38 am

Payton is expected to be paid somewhere between 17-20mil per year. Denver just printing money.