Jaylen Warren PIT RB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jaylen Warren PIT RB

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:38 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:06 pm Yeah, I mean I don't see him hitting the lofty heights Ekeler did, for FF, but he's definitely not a volume dependent guy. He's a plus receiver, and is elusive, and can create on his own. Being stuck with Pickett is a problem, as it is for every Steeler. However I think he's going to get used over the course of his rookie deal, as we are seeing now. I think 12-15 touches or so are perfect for him, and he's shown he can produce with that.
Jaylen's actually on pace for a 194 touch season, which is pretty good for a 2nd year player.

Ekeler didn't hit 200+ touches until his 3rd season with the Chargers (224).

In Ekeler's 2nd season he had 145 touches for 958 scrimmage yards.

Jaylen actually out-pacing him currently with 114 touches for 727 scrimmage yards, and 7 games still to play in his 2nd season.

Jaylen Warren is Gen-Z Austin Ekeler.
Problem with Warren is he's super old for a 2nd year guy. 25. Ekeler was 23 his 2nd year. Warren likely won't get a good 2nd contract due to it, sadly. I just don't think he'll have the chance to hit Ekeler type numbers, Ekeler had 92 receptions in year 3, I somehow doubt that's happening. I like Warren a lot, but age, and Pickett at QB have me doubting he's ever a real game wrecker the way Ekeler was, for FF purposes, for multiple years.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:38 pm Problem with Warren is he's super old for a 2nd year guy. 25. Ekeler was 23 his 2nd year. Warren likely won't get a good 2nd contract due to it, sadly. I just don't think he'll have the chance to hit Ekeler type numbers, Ekeler had 92 receptions in year 3, I somehow doubt that's happening. I like Warren a lot, but age, and Pickett at QB have me doubting he's ever a real game wrecker the way Ekeler was, for FF purposes, for multiple years.
Problem for him and his earning potential maybe - but not for us, and certainly not for those that grabbed him off the Wire or super cheap in the draft. He's definitely a bit behind the Ekeler timeframe, for sure. I'm comparing how they play, though. Ekeler signed a 4 year deal as an UDFA and Warren signed a 3 year one - Warren's contract year is next year at age 26, and he'll be an RFA at age 27.

Gen Z Ekeler, Gen Z Pollard, whichever way you want to contextualise him: these are the advanced stats of a really great pass-catching RB.
Jaylen Warren among 50 RBs with 50+ carries (PFF):

Yards per rush:
6.2 (No. 1)

10+ yard runs/rush:
0.225 (No. 1)

Missed tackles forced/rush:
0.41 (No. 1)

Yards after contact/rush:
4.4 (No. 1)
Certainly he's exceeded my expectations for him as an UDFA RB... kinda like... some sort of a Gen Z Austin Ekeler... :think:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27 am

mild wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:38 pm Problem with Warren is he's super old for a 2nd year guy. 25. Ekeler was 23 his 2nd year. Warren likely won't get a good 2nd contract due to it, sadly. I just don't think he'll have the chance to hit Ekeler type numbers, Ekeler had 92 receptions in year 3, I somehow doubt that's happening. I like Warren a lot, but age, and Pickett at QB have me doubting he's ever a real game wrecker the way Ekeler was, for FF purposes, for multiple years.
Problem for him and his earning potential maybe - but not for us, and certainly not for those that grabbed him off the Wire or super cheap in the draft. He's definitely a bit behind the Ekeler timeframe, for sure. I'm comparing how they play, though. Ekeler signed a 4 year deal as an UDFA and Warren signed a 3 year one - Warren's contract year is next year at age 26, and he'll be an RFA at age 27.

Gen Z Ekeler, Gen Z Pollard, whichever way you want to contextualise him: these are the advanced stats of a really great pass-catching RB.
Jaylen Warren among 50 RBs with 50+ carries (PFF):

Yards per rush:
6.2 (No. 1)

10+ yard runs/rush:
0.225 (No. 1)

Missed tackles forced/rush:
0.41 (No. 1)

Yards after contact/rush:
4.4 (No. 1)
Certainly he's exceeded my expectations for him as an UDFA RB... kinda like... some sort of a Gen Z Austin Ekeler... :think:
This is the third consecutive post you've used this term. Not sure what the emphasis on this is, am I supposed to agree with it, before you move past it? IDK man, I'm not arguing against Warren, just stating the differences between he and Ekeler. (Age, and offensive upside are 2 major ones). He's super talented, and fun to watch.

Well aware of all the metrics you provided. I bumped this thread from obscurity to point out how he's not just a JAG, and quite a talented player. He's obviously surpassed expectations for a UDFA, but Ekeler is a unicorn, in terms of it all coming into place, for FF purposes. Warren isn't going to duplicate Ekeler's career arc, and that's OK. I hope he can have a few really good years, and help uplift that offense. Hoping the Steelers cut the cord with Pickett, it was always a bad pick. They could have had McDuffie to add to that D... :shock:

I'd love to see them go for Cousins, but it won't happen. That would be great for that entire offense, and with that D, who knows? Certainly better than trying to win with Pickett.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick