George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:52 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned, but a large red flag on Pickens was maturity. There was a clip from the game where he goes and shoves a DB to the ground, then waves at him. It probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but for a guy with questions about maturity, that isn't what I want to see on the field.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:22 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:17 pm I agree, nobody should be basing his value on one catch. I'm not sure anyone is though.
Packers rookie Doubs had a great 1st quarter td catch Friday night, as did the 49ers rookie Gray. Definitely noteworthy on passes from Love and Lance, respectively.

In Packerland rookie drafts, Doubs will go in a few 1st rounds. Gray will tempt a few niner fans.

Let's see what next week brings.
-oo-

-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:33 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 pm I still have him behind Wilson/Olave/London/Burks/Jameson/Dotson/Moore/Watson, also Hall and Walker obviously. That's 1.11 for now
This is where I've got him, maybe ahead of Watson and Dotson but behind Pickett(SF). Think saying he's worth an early first next year is wayyyyy too ambitious considering that'll be jsn, Gibbs, bijan type who would all be in play for 1.1 this year

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:11 pm

I really dont understand this post.

1. Pickens has consistently be viewed as a late 1st round pick, in a group of other similarly talented WRs. Not a 2nd.

2. Pickens was the 11th WR drafted in the NFL Certainly draft capital plays a large role in where a player goes in rookie drafts. Yet the OP didn't even mention the single largest factor of where rookies get drafted in fantasy.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:55 pm

I just offered Jerry Jeudy for him.

Choo-choooooooooooo.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:56 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:04 am Was the landing spot great, though? The offense has been underwhelming, so questions about the OC/scheme- was their under performance the last few years driven purely by Ben Roethlisberger? The Trubisky/Pickett/Rudolph trio is a major source of concern. Some people would say they like their rookie WRs to land in established depth charts, where they won't get alpha defensive focus. With Diontae's extension, do you really want the 2nd WR in a Matt Canada/Trubisky offense?
It's fair to wonder if it's mostly because of BB, but the Steelers have a proven history of drafting and developing WRs well. I could definitely think of worse landing spots. The Steelers are one of the better orgs in the league, so long-term I think they'll end up figuring out their QB situation.
This article puts last year's struggles entirely on the 1st year OC- - https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2207240006
After replacing Randy Fichtner as offensive coordinator, Canada and the Steelers went backward in nearly every statistical category that mattered last season. They averaged six points fewer (20.2) than the previous year (26.0) and failed to score at least 20 points in nine of the 17 games — 10 if you count the playoff loss in Kansas City. The lethargy was established early in most games. They scored only 37 points in the first quarter all season, tied for fewest in the league. In the final eight games, including the postseason, they scored just 22 points in the first half.

The only time the offense showed any life — or, at least, looked the way the Steelers had hoped — was in the fourth quarter, when Roethlisberger scrapped the plan and went back to the no-huddle offense he was accustomed to using. The Steelers scored more than half their points — 175 of 343 — in the fourth quarter, tied for most in the NFL. Of the nine victories in the regular season, seven were because Roethlisberger orchestrated game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime.

Nonetheless, Tomlin said he had “no problem” with Canada’s play-calling, though he acknowledged the offense “took a step back” in 2021. Three offensive coaches left after the season — offensive line coach Adrian Klemm actually left before the end of the season — apparently over the direction of the offense.

But Canada is getting another chance to show what he can do, this time with a different quarterback, two new receivers and a revamped offensive line. His ability to show considerable improvement, not take another step backward, is the key to the offense’s fortunes in 2022.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:18 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:17 pm I agree, nobody should be basing his value on one catch. I'm not sure anyone is though.
+ He's been one of the stars of the Steelers training camp
+ Steelers beat reporter who's covered the team for 20 years said "he's never seen a rookie this good, this early" in training camp in Pittsburgh
+ He's had one of the best training camp buzzes of this draft class so far
+ Listed as a starting WR on the depth chart
+ The buzz translated to a preseason game

It's definitely been more of a culmination of things. It's the anti-Trey Burks scenario so far.

Steve Young
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Steve Young » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 pm I still have him behind Wilson/Olave/London/Burks/Jameson/Dotson/Moore/Watson, also Hall and Walker obviously. That's 1.11 for now
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pickens has always been my #1. Him, JJetta, and Elijah Moore are my die on the hill guys.
14 team SF PPR

QB - Murray, Watson, Fields, Winston, Malik
RB - Swift, Javonte, Mitchell, Hall, Cook, Pierce, JRob
WR - Jefferson, Chase, EMoore, AJB, Pickens, Burks, ARob, Cooks
TE - Knox, Njoku, Hooper

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 pm

He’s moved up definitely a cpl of spots (past Burks is one for sure) and the maturity thing , well … Pittsburgh is the place for him to land. Quite sure Claypool will take him under his wing and teach him the STEELERS WAY !!!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:13 pm

The absolute latest I've had him as well. I'd probably go him over Watson and maybe even Burks right now.

Steve Young
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Steve Young » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:20 pm

Lol Watson. You can definitely tell who missed out on Pickens here.
14 team SF PPR

QB - Murray, Watson, Fields, Winston, Malik
RB - Swift, Javonte, Mitchell, Hall, Cook, Pierce, JRob
WR - Jefferson, Chase, EMoore, AJB, Pickens, Burks, ARob, Cooks
TE - Knox, Njoku, Hooper

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:12 pm

I always had him above Burks, post draft at least. Pre draft, when I had no picks, I thought maybe Burks would be 1.01, but I hadn't done much research. When I dug into Burks, I didn't like what I found.

Pickens was always on my radar as a guy I felt would go later than he should due to missing the year with an injury. I am not sure how anybody ever saw him below Watson, personally. I didn't have them in the same tier, myself. I have Pickens in several leagues, and am happy with his progress. I still think the Steelers will take time to click as an offense, and I hope I can get Pickens in more places after the initial hype wears off, but I think it will be more difficult if he's taking Claypool's spot in 2 WR sets.

@OP. I moved my 1.12 (which was Pickens, and would have been Pickens for me had I held the pick) in a league that starts 3 RB, and is a SF, for a 23 first that looks top 5, and I would still want the 23 first, due to positional value in that league. QB's and RB's are more valuable in that format, but I am assuming the first you are trading is a 1 QB league?
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:13 pm
The absolute latest I've had him as well. I'd probably go him over Watson and maybe even Burks right now.
I don't blame you necessarily, but it feels too reactionary to change anything around just yet for me. Watson hasn't played yet, so my grade on him stays the same. Treylon has to be at least a little worrisome, but it's just way too early I think.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 pm

I offered an early/mid 23 1st + Julio Jones for him and the offer was declined
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.01, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:37 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:12 pm I always had him above Burks, post draft at least. Pre draft, when I had no picks, I thought maybe Burks would be 1.01, but I hadn't done much research. When I dug into Burks, I didn't like what I found.

Pickens was always on my radar as a guy I felt would go later than he should due to missing the year with an injury. I am not sure how anybody ever saw him below Watson, personally. I didn't have them in the same tier, myself. I have Pickens in several leagues, and am happy with his progress. I still think the Steelers will take time to click as an offense, and I hope I can get Pickens in more places after the initial hype wears off, but I think it will be more difficult if he's taking Claypool's spot in 2 WR sets.

@OP. I moved my 1.12 (which was Pickens, and would have been Pickens for me had I held the pick) in a league that starts 3 RB, and is a SF, for a 23 first that looks top 5, and I would still want the 23 first, due to positional value in that league. QB's and RB's are more valuable in that format, but I am assuming the first you are trading is a 1 QB league?
Yes, 1 QB. The pick is from a borderline playoff team, that is one injury away from being a bottom 3 team (minimal depth).
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.01, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league