George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby Jrblaha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:17 pm

I don’t have him, but if I did, I’d sell for a 2024 or 2025 1st.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:08 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:17 pm I don’t have him, but if I did, I’d sell for a 2024 or 2025 1st.
I tried getting that for him before season started and couldn’t. Highly doubt it would go over any better now. Haha

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:18 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:08 pm
Jrblaha wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:17 pm I don’t have him, but if I did, I’d sell for a 2024 or 2025 1st.
I tried getting that for him before season started and couldn’t. Highly doubt it would go over any better now. Haha
Why on earth would you sell him for a first 2 years out? I wouldn't be moving Pickens for that. This IG stuff, happened and was gone almost instantly, but the internet, all it takes is a few hours. He was frustrated, and it's no doubt immature. This is the youth today, taking to social media, sadly.

Pickens has a bit of an edge to him, it's part of what makes his game, and he's going to have moments, but I think Tomlin can keep his head on straight, these little dust ups will happen from time to time. I think I pegged him for about 65-70 and 1000-1100 this year, and he's about on pace for that. He's super young, and just scratching the surface of his abilties. He has elite ball skills, and is a playmaker. His route running has shown some improvements, and let's not forget......his brain isn't even fully developed yet :D .

Pickens in year 4/5, in his prime, I want to have him at that point, I think he could be a really good player by then, if he's got a decent QB, I think 75-80 /1300 is definitely a real posibilty. I'm buying if people are bailing on him for cheap, and I consider a random first 2 years out in a 1 QB league cheap, for his level of talent.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:36 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:18 pm
Why on earth would you sell him for a first 2 years out? I wouldn't be moving Pickens for that. This IG stuff, happened and was gone almost instantly, but the internet, all it takes is a few hours. He was frustrated, and it's no doubt immature. This is the youth today, taking to social media, sadly.

Pickens has a bit of an edge to him, it's part of what makes his game, and he's going to have moments, but I think Tomlin can keep his head on straight, these little dust ups will happen from time to time. I think I pegged him for about 65-70 and 1000-1100 this year, and he's about on pace for that. He's super young, and just scratching the surface of his abilties. He has elite ball skills, and is a playmaker. His route running has shown some improvements, and let's not forget......his brain isn't even fully developed yet :D .

Pickens in year 4/5, in his prime, I want to have him at that point, I think he could be a really good player by then, if he's got a decent QB, I think 75-80 /1300 is definitely a real posibilty. I'm buying if people are bailing on him for cheap, and I consider a random first 2 years out in a 1 QB league cheap, for his level of talent.
To be clear, this is SF (before the season started), and I was trying to get a 24 1st and couldn’t.

To the rest, I’m glad you still like Pickens. I’m just not convinced. I don’t want to compare his talent to Claypool (I think Pickens is more talented), but the situation reminds me of that. Solid rookie season, but then never progressed. You can say Pickens is on pace for 1000 yards, but that’s largely due to Diontae being out. In 4 games they’ve both played, Pickens has 36, 107, 22, and -1. That’s a 17 game pace of 697. Obviously not a big sample and we will see what the rest of the year brings.

He makes highlight plays, but I haven’t seen enough to think he’ll be a consistent receiver to this point.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:17 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:04 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:41 pm Pickens just scrubbed his IG of everything Steelers and unfollowed them. Posted something saying "free me" on his stories.
I think the last player to do this after a WIN was Elijah Moore. Things are going swell for him.
I don't mind it. WRs reputation and earning power is largely built on box score stats. If they aren't getting the ball, then this is what happens regardless of wins or losses.

At the same time, he really did mess up one of the easiest touchdowns he'll see in his career.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:01 am

Because he’s tied to a bad QB (I don’t see this changing soon), on a team that likes to try to control the game with defense and game management. Add in the fact I wasn’t super jazzed about him to begin with, and his production has done nothing to change my mind - he was WR36 last year and WR28 this year, and I don’t see it improving. I don’t see him ever finishing as a WR1 (top12WR), and don’t see him as a consistent top WR2 (top24WR). You probably see him as one of those things, and if you do, I get holding.

But for my perspective the bigger question is why wouldn’t I trade him out for another shot at a WR in 2 years? As a side note, I don’t care about the IG stuff.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:57 am

A sneaky smart move if you like Pickens would be to trade him now and rebuy later, I just think his value trajectory is down this year.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:30 am

Your team wins…you play in Pittsburgh…and you complain?

Yeah…not good
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:45 am

I don’t necessarily disagree with you here, but you’re really glossing over the immaturity. That was a knock on him in college, was a knock on him in the pre-draft process, and seems to still be an issue. I’m not sure we can just shrug our shoulders when it comes to maturity with Pickens and evaluating his future.

Now that doesn’t mean he can’t overcome it and grow. If he doesn’t fix it he will never reach the potential that you and others think he has.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:49 pm

Maybe you could get that in a package for Pickens.

I just traded away Pickens in a package with Kyler, Levis, Dotson, and Charbonnet for Justin Herbert + two late 24 1sts.
12 team SF TEP.

Made that trade 3 days ago, on Wednesday, before Pickens week 9 game Thursday night.
Buyer pushed hard for it because Levis and Pickens both played Thursday night.

The way I viewed it was Kyler, Levis, and Charbs for Herbert, and Dotson + Pickens for two late 24 1sts.

Sometimes you have to get creative when trying to move players.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:42 pm

T18 in receiving yards for WR after last week’s explosion. Hard to imagine the QB play is worse next year even if it’s 17 games of Pickett.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:42 pm

Pickens needs a better QB and to not lose his head on a regular basis. If those things can happen, he should get enough targets to be relevant. I've been pretty low on him in general, though, so I'm skeptical he can put it all together consistently with the not-so-rosy QB picture in PIT.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:43 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:42 pm Pickens needs a better QB and to not lose his head on a regular basis. If those things can happen, he should get enough targets to be relevant. I've been pretty low on him in general, though, so I'm skeptical he can put it all together consistently with the not-so-rosy QB picture in PIT.
There must be something in the water in PIT that causes WRs to go crazy. AB, Claypool, Pickens.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:05 pm

TheTroll wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:43 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:42 pm Pickens needs a better QB and to not lose his head on a regular basis. If those things can happen, he should get enough targets to be relevant. I've been pretty low on him in general, though, so I'm skeptical he can put it all together consistently with the not-so-rosy QB picture in PIT.
There must be something in the water in PIT that causes WRs to go crazy. AB, Claypool, Pickens.
Close, but turn it round and flip it the other way: PIT frequently pick "character concerns" guys because the theory is that Tomlin can keep them in line as the resident "tough dad" coach of the NFL.

It would be quite funny if they did finally move on from Tomlin this offseason. Keeping that locker room in line with this team would be a nightmare for a rookie head coach, without a doubt.

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:24 am

mild wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:05 pm
TheTroll wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:43 pm
Close, but turn it round and flip it the other way: PIT frequently pick "character concerns" guys because the theory is that Tomlin can keep them in line as the resident "tough dad" coach of the NFL.

It would be quite funny if they did finally move on from Tomlin this offseason. Keeping that locker room in line with this team would be a nightmare for a rookie head coach, without a doubt.
Which is kind of sad because that probably takes so much energy away from actually coaching. Imagine what Tomlin would do with WR's like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El.
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew