Total votes: 138

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Isaiah Pacheco

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:43 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:15 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:00 pm Count me out on Pacheco still at current value, though I definitely didn't think he'd make it through the 2024 season this healthy & productive.

I just think a large reason for that is he was competing with CEH (who will be out of the NFL soon in all likelihood) & a banged up Jerick McKinnon (who will also be out of the league soon because of age) for snaps in an offense that has historically produced elite RB production.

KC may not be in the premium RB market this off-season, although I do think they will consider the right opportunity, but I still see Pacheco as a JAG and I'd happily invest in any of the RB's (Cook / Spears / Jacobs / Javonte / Pollard) or WR's (Rice / Pickens / Adams / Kupp) at a similar price point.
[/quote

You had me until you said JAG
If you told me that Running Back <insert first name> <insert last name> was being given 15 carries per game and 4 targets per game in the Andy Reid offense with Patrick Mahomes at QB, and he was RB #13 in fantasy with 900 rushing yards and 240 receiving yards on the entire season - and then you asked me to make a list of RBs in the NFL that could currently accomplish those stats with that opportunity / situation?

My list would probably have 50 names on it. To me that's the definition of a JAG at the RB position. Not to derail the argument, but to quickly sum it up: the RB position is unique in my opinion. I'm of the belief that only the top 5 - 10 guys (varies year to year) are worth investing into as football players that make ENOUGH of a difference on the football field. Then there's about 40 guys with slightly varying levels of athleticism, vision, skillsets, etc. that can keep an offense functioning and handle a typical RB workload while not adding a ton of production over expectation but while also not vomiting on themselves - which makes RB #11 a horrible player to invest $$ into and probably makes RB #50 a worthy relative investment. Hope I explained my personal opinion clearly enough there!

Pacheco runs hard. He's a crowd favorite. He's overcome long odds and has already had a more significant career in the NFL than most people thought. But do we really think he's in that first category of guys? That he's some difference maker at the position? Adding value beyond an average / dependable RB? Playing like a top15-20 RB in the NFL? That he wouldn't get out-played by a day-1 or day-2 RB in the near future (not named CEH post injuries) or a Free Agent addition like Jacobs or Henry or Barkley?

KC may not, and probably shouldn't, spend significant draft/cap resources on replacing Pacheco. But they absolutely will do something. And I just think the odds of Pacheco continuing to play head & shoulders above the rest of the RB room to this extent (warranting such a workload) plummets dramatically when the other names in that RB room aren't CEH and a 31-year-old injured Jerick McKinnon.

So if I can turn that replaceable (but likeable!) RB on my roster into a more proven or stable option, I'm cashing out. And I understand there are similar arguments & risks with the RBs I listed in my original post (Cook / Spears / Jacobs / Javonte / Pollard), I do feel more confident in those guys based on a combination of draft capital, perceived job security, upside, & talent.
🔥
Well explained and I agree … mostly !

Just think Pacheco’s power / speed combo is a bit better than you give him credit for. No he’s not an elite skilled RB but he’s an elite athleticism guy that has shown he’s a competent NFL RB who keeps improving. Perfect for Chiefs who can’t spend too much yet get a ton of production. Can’t think of any proven NFL RB that would be cheap enough to come in and take over the position. I think Pacheco is sure to get stiffer competition than CEH plus a younger McKinnon clone for that role but I think he is safe … for now !

Caveat being injured again to end this season or showing a major regression & choking in the playoffs costing the Chiefs an early exit by multiple miscues. Which I don’t see happening

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:53 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:09 pm
kmbryant09 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:00 pm Count me out on Pacheco still at current value, though I definitely didn't think he'd make it through the 2024 season this healthy & productive.

I just think a large reason for that is he was competing with CEH (who will be out of the NFL soon in all likelihood) & a banged up Jerick McKinnon (who will also be out of the league soon because of age) for snaps in an offense that has historically produced elite RB production.

KC may not be in the premium RB market this off-season, although I do think they will consider the right opportunity, but I still see Pacheco as a JAG and I'd happily invest in any of the RB's (Cook / Spears / Jacobs / Javonte / Pollard) or WR's (Rice / Pickens / Adams / Kupp) at a similar price point.
You had me until you said JAG
If you told me that Running Back <insert first name> <insert last name> was being given 15 carries per game and 4 targets per game in the Andy Reid offense with Patrick Mahomes at QB, and he was RB #13 in fantasy with 900 rushing yards and 240 receiving yards on the entire season - and then you asked me to make a list of RBs in the NFL that could currently accomplish those stats with that opportunity / situation?

My list would probably have 50 names on it. To me that's the definition of a JAG at the RB position. Not to derail the argument, but to quickly sum it up: the RB position is unique in my opinion. I'm of the belief that only the top 5 - 10 guys (varies year to year) are worth investing into as football players that make ENOUGH of a difference on the football field. Then there's about 40 guys with slightly varying levels of athleticism, vision, skillsets, etc. that can keep an offense functioning and handle a typical RB workload while not adding a ton of production over expectation but while also not vomiting on themselves - which makes RB #11 a horrible player to invest $$ into and probably makes RB #50 a worthy relative investment. Hope I explained my personal opinion clearly enough there!

Pacheco runs hard. He's a crowd favorite. He's overcome long odds and has already had a more significant career in the NFL than most people thought. But do we really think he's in that first category of guys? That he's some difference maker at the position? Adding value beyond an average / dependable RB? Playing like a top15-20 RB in the NFL? That he wouldn't get out-played by a day-1 or day-2 RB in the near future (not named CEH post injuries) or a Free Agent addition like Jacobs or Henry or Barkley?

KC may not, and probably shouldn't, spend significant draft/cap resources on replacing Pacheco. But they absolutely will do something. And I just think the odds of Pacheco continuing to play head & shoulders above the rest of the RB room to this extent (warranting such a workload) plummets dramatically when the other names in that RB room aren't CEH and a 31-year-old injured Jerick McKinnon.

So if I can turn that replaceable (but likeable!) RB on my roster into a more proven or stable option, I'm cashing out. And I understand there are similar arguments & risks with the RBs I listed in my original post (Cook / Spears / Jacobs / Javonte / Pollard), I do feel more confident in those guys based on a combination of draft capital, perceived job security, upside, & talent.
Javonte(RB35) and Pollard(RB24)seem safe to you compared to Pacheco(RB11)? I'm just not so sure. I was not on the Pacheco train, but two years deep into his career it's hard not to see that he's a pretty integral part of their offense. I think JAG is selling him short. I mean, he looks like a super star compared to Javonte and Pollard this year. Heck, I'm not even 100% sure Javonte is the best RB on the Broncos or that Pollard will be on the Cowboys next year.

I agree they bring in some auxillary RB pieces to replace McKinnon and CEH, but Pacheco's job seems safer to me than either Javonte/Pollard.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:17 pm

Good post and reasons listed.

Cook? Sure.

Spears, Jacobs, JaVante, Pollard? I’d take Pacheco above all of them.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:05 am

I would tell you that #13 is the highest finish for a KC running back over the last 5 years. That Brian Westbrook is not coming through the door for Andy Reid and we need to stop pretending the KC offence is a plus landing spot for RB's
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:07 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:05 am
I would tell you that #13 is the highest finish for a KC running back over the last 5 years. That Brian Westbrook is not coming through the door for Andy Reid and we need to stop pretending the KC offence is a plus landing spot for RB's
Right, I thought we had finally got to the point where KC RB were undervalued.

Their biggest issue prior was the RBBC being used. I think that was more about the talent they had at the time though. Pacheco is legit. Don't bet on any RB long term though

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:43 pm

Congrats to Pacheco on being the first starting running back to win two Super Bowls during his first two years.

And now that the Chiefs have a chance at a 3 peat, I think they will retain and recruit free agents to make a run at a 3rd. A starting RB will not be one of their offseason needs.