AJB vs Devonta Smith

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Ski mask ready
Starter
Starter

AJB vs Devonta Smith

Postby Ski mask ready » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:48 am

Whats the consensus here? I feel like Hurts wont ever be a prolific passer and then both talents languish with sub par QB passing. Thoughts/comments on both wrs?
Team 1: 12 Team PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"
https://www43.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =07&F=0001

Team 2: 12 Team Salary/Contract, PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"

Team 3: 12 Team Salary/Contract, PPR, IDP Dynasty 40 Man Roster"

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: AJB vs Devonta Smith

Postby BabyChark23 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 am

I would sell AJB for name value if you could get a good return and hold if not. Same with Smith, but the return with him likely isn’t as good. If Hurts continues to underwhelm in the passing game, we could be looking at a new QB there next year. My biggest concern would be that Hurts progresses just enough to keep the staff on the hook, but not enough to support multiple pass catchers.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:30 am

I think you can kind of look at what happened with Julio and AJB in Tennessee. However, you’ll want to keep in mind that if you factor out the injuries that both those guys were on pace for over 1,000 yards prior to Derrick Henry going down. I think the factor AJB and Smith owners need to worry about is whether or not Philadelphia can put together an effective run game. Sanders is nowhere near Henry, but Sanders + Hurts isn’t far off in my opinion. If they can get Sanders to be his best self and keep him healthy, the passing attack can put up enough for both receivers to get theirs and maybe even Goeddert as well. If the run game can’t get it done, you probably want AJB.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:32 am

I loved AJB coming out of college. Was my top player in that class. However he is now over rated, at least for FF. He's very boom or bust. Through 3 seasons, he's never had more than 70 receptions, and never topped 1100 yards. He's got knee issues. He's never been able to be a high target player, due to his situation to a large degree, and going to the Eagles IMO, is a lateral move at best. Hurts isn't a good thrower of the football, and can't read a D. The offense doesn't project to be a high volume passing offense, in the least. AJB's value exceeds his production, and I think will continue to do so. You can get similar production from other WR's and get something on top, based on AJB's value and name cachet.

Smith is a solid WR, very good route runner, but doesn't project as an alpha in the NFL, in the same way he was in college. He's going to be limited more the outside due to his weight/BMI. He just isn't going to be a guy who will work the middle of the field much, and again, with a QB with limited passing ability, that's a problem. His value isn't that high right now, though, so I'd probably hold, as his talent may outweigh his value.

I think the Eagles will likely reset at QB next year, and if it's a rookie then both these players will likely have more prime years wasted from their peak potential as that rookie goes through the struggles of learning to become an NFL QB. The only way I think they are maximized is if Howie uses his draft captital to pull a Russell Wilson type trade next year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:56 pm

I am more in line with FF thinking overall. AJB simply isn't as good as his name or market vaulue so I would be selling ASAP while the market is still higher than his production to date.

I actually like Smith and think his value could really shoot up in the future as owners realize just how good he can run routes. He is an "Ankle Breaker" in routes and that will shine through. He is a strong hold at this point if you own both. His current market value is depressed due to the AJB signing as the rose colored glasses owners still think he is a WR1.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm

So should I trade AJB straight up for Smith?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:29 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm So should I trade AJB straight up for Smith?
No, if you can het smith+ a first sure id maybe bite but definitely not heads up

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:03 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm So should I trade AJB straight up for Smith?
While I like Smith's upside....Why? AJB's perceived value is higher therefore you should get an asset on top. By 2024 that perceived value may very well flip.

People seem to have quickly forgotten just how good Smith is at football with the AJB love since the trade. That is worth taking advantage of IMO.

D. Smith awards; sourced via Wikipedia ( So Many I had to look them up :D )
2× CFP national champion (2017, 2020)
CFP National Championship Offensive MVP (2020)
Heisman Trophy (2020)
Maxwell Award (2020)
Walter Camp Award (2020)
Biletnikoff Award (2020)
Paul Hornung Award (2020)
AP College Football Player of the Year (2020)
Sporting News College Football Player of the Year (2020)
Unanimous All-American (2020)
SEC Offensive Player of the Year (2020)
2× first-team All-SEC (2019, 2020)
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:49 am

I am high on Smith but I also think Brown is still a solid young WR. I would need a decent 1st on top of Smith in 2023 to move Brown. Brown will get plenty of looks.