Jahan Dotson is a value in rookie drafts

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jahan Dotson is a value in rookie drafts

Postby Paul717 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 am Another good outing. Loved Dotson the entire process, I had to keep my mouth shut about him the entire off season, until I could land him, and I couldn't figure out why he was going so late in rookie drafts. I liked that he was, though, as I nabbed him in that range and walked away like a bandit.

Wentz is looking like he can be a provider forhim, for FF purposes this year, he seems to have a connection with him.
Great call here Sir. He went 1.11 in my league. In hindsight the 2022 class is looking pretty good so far. Still, it looks like the teams who drafted Pierce and Cook in my league ahead of Dotson might be kicking themselves right now.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:07 am

In my most competitive league, I grabbed him at 2.06. Still laughing about that one. Pierce, allgeier, cook, willis, ridder all went ahead of him. Wish I had more 2nds this year, but had traded most off trying to get into the 1st to land Jameson.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:00 pm

Reminds me of Chris Godwin a bit, idk, maybe it’s Penn State lol
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:35 pm

This OL can't block, it's really hurting the offense, but Dotson looks legit.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

gpaok
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby gpaok » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 pm

I am surprised to be honest by how fast he produced. Solid numbers against good defenses (Jaguars/Cowboys). Not as much against the Eagles but still.
10 team Dynasty Superflex, 1 PPR, 20 + 3 IR player roster
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SFlex, Flex, DEF

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen
RB: Nick Chubb, J.K. Dobbins, Travis Etienne, Rhamondre Stevenson, Rachaad White, Khalil Herbert, Tank Bigsby, Jaylen Warren, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, Tank Bigsby
WR: Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, Calvin Ridley, Tank Dell
TE:T.J. Hockenson, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:45 pm

gpaok wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 pm I am surprised to be honest by how fast he produced. Solid numbers against good defenses (Jaguars/Cowboys). Not as much against the Eagles but still.
I had to bite my tongue on this site for months until my drafts were over, as I wanted to land him. The second I did, I started this thread. My DLF league I saw early (we draft pre NFL draft), that he was rated way too low (IMO), going in the 2nd round of a 16 teamer. Even with that first round capital, people still didn't want him, it seemed. I was all over him from the start, just know certain league mates of mine are around these parts, and didn't want to top my cap. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 pm

Just saw he's going to miss time with a hammy. Go figure.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:16 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:45 pm
gpaok wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 pm I am surprised to be honest by how fast he produced. Solid numbers against good defenses (Jaguars/Cowboys). Not as much against the Eagles but still.
I had to bite my tongue on this site for months until my drafts were over, as I wanted to land him. The second I did, I started this thread. My DLF league I saw early (we draft pre NFL draft), that he was rated way too low (IMO), going in the 2nd round of a 16 teamer. Even with that first round capital, people still didn't want him, it seemed. I was all over him from the start, just know certain league mates of mine are around these parts, and didn't want to top my cap. :lol:
Dotson was underrated by pretty much everyone. I had him at WR8 (behind Pickens and Skyy) for most offseason. Still would've taken him top 12 most places as there was only the 2 RB and Pickett that were ahead of him. But I know people were reaching for those RB.

I thought his upside would be that of a WR2 due to his size (Lockett comp seemed too easy). Then the landing spot was bad imo and I figured he'd be the WR2 there behind Terry which might translate to WR3 fantasy numbers down the line.

Samuel has been excellent but it's fair to wonder if he can sustain production and health for the long haul. He's a good offensive weapon otherwise. The very lite version of Deebo.

Looking longer term, Terry is 27 and signed through 2025 (could save 12M in cap if they cut after 2024, 11M dead cap hit). So Dotson is probably in this role for the foreseeable future.

Still a little ways to go for Dotson. The TD are encouraging but no way he continues to catch 50% of the passing TD. He's also the #3 option for now whereas I thought he would be #2. But he's already hitting those fantasy WR3 numbers so an increase in targets and decrease in TD rate should balance each other out in the end. Solid call so far

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:17 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 pm Just saw he's going to miss time with a hammy. Go figure.
Just 1 or 2 weeks max hopefully not a lingering issue

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:38 am

Honestly I'd sell

Not because of priors but because his stat line looks is entirely propped up by TDs

Maybe you have a league taco who looks at PPG only and doesn't see that it's a TD fuelled smoke screen unlike Olave, Wilson, London, etc. A week ago you could have gotten a 23 first which I'd still easily take

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:20 pm

He's going to be a good one.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:11 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:20 pm He's going to be a good one.
How good? Like a WR3? That's pretty much what I see when I watch him

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:11 pm
How good? Like a WR3? That's pretty much what I see when I watch him
He's better than that IMO. He was open for another TD today and Heinecke didn't see him. He gets open, and is a big play and red zone threat. He's capable of being a WR2. QB is the biggest concern, though.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:53 pm

Yes, he is going to be good. He looks very good. He can easily separate AND make contested catches. From a talent standpoint, really nothing to not like.

What baffles me is, how does a player like Dotson, who is obviously good and received high draft capital, be relatively disregarded in rookie rankings and ranked lower than Skyy Moore? Moore, who instead of being a round 1 NFl pick, he was the 13th WR drafted and closer to a round 3 NFL pick.

Major whiff from consensus dynasty rookie rankings.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:01 pm

So I'm curious - what would people pay for him these days in terms of a rookie pick in a 12-team, PPR, 1QB league?