mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Drake London vs. Christian Watson

Postby mild » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:15 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:52 pm
mild wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:45 pm
murphysxm wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:44 am

Way to early to even consider saying bust, but they are both performing to my expectations from back then.
You were in on Jameson instead, right? :D
Yeah, that eval is looking problematic.
Crazy to think it really was just the OSU guys all along in Wilson and Olave. Them pumping out 1000+ yard seasons in terrible situations has been wildly impressive.

I still like what I've seen from Drake and Watson. They really just need an upgrade in situation; neither guy is capable of transcending terrible QB play to the degree that Olave and Wilson are. Still like what I've seen from them both to this point, to varying degrees.

Jameson and Burks tho... lol. They seem like they're DOA. :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:57 am

Sriracha wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:41 am
Ice wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:37 am
Sriracha wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:28 pm I'm surprised the prevailing wisdom here is that their QB situation is remotely similar.

Watson and Love haven't been able to connect but I chalk that up to Watson needing to get healthy and stay on the practice field to build some rapport with Love.

We just saw a mini breakout game that could've been a lot bigger if not for a very iffy "incidental" contact non-call by a DB that fell down onto Watson's legs after getting burned on a deep crosser and on another play where the O-line couldn't buy quite enough time for Love to throw a better ball on another deep shot that Watson would've scored an easy TD on.

London is a more complete receiver but his QB question marks loom large where as GB at least has a functional QB with upside and Watson is still scratching the surface on his upside. Listening to GB's pressers you can tell that both Love and LaFleur where challenging him to be more aggressive when the ball is in the air and he delivered in a big way this game. If he can carry that mentality over into the rest of his games he might just go on another tear to end the season :lol:
You might be seeing more of what you want to see between these two QB's than the actual facts.

Situation matters and while Love may have more upside, this year Ridder has a better completion center at 65.2% vs 60.5% for Love. Ridder also has a better yards per attempt at 7.2 vs 7.0 for Love. Love does average around 4 more passes per game so that is, in theory should better for Watson. Not sure on their motion and slot percentages to scheme them open but I would guess that is an advantage for London.

I like Watson better as a longer term breakout player for fantasy but today they both have QB and system challenges. I also think Love does have more upside but don't see star power from either QB.
Ridder has also thrown 7 TDs, has a 38 QBR on the season a 52 PFF grade and has gotten a lot of his production by throwing to TEs and RBs close to the line of scrimmage and has an A/YPA of 5.8

Love by comparison has thrown 19 TDs has a QBR of 52.9 on the season a PFF grade of 74 and and A/YPA of 6.8

Of his 10 INTs thrown on the season, 5 of his INTs have come from targets to Watson. GB was trying to force feed the ball to Watson in multiple games early on in the year despite their lack of practice reps which actually hurt Love's overall numbers. As they've gotten more practice time their timing has gotten better and those mistakes are happening less often.

I don't think Love has been a bad QB on the year, all of his stats point to him being average at worst and he's played his best football in the past month.
Not sure what you are talking about with GB trying to force feed Watson early on.

Watson didn't even play the first 3 weeks. Targets week 4 and on. 4,7,5,8,2,7,4,7.

Watson isn't hurting Love's numbers. Love has been quite good at hurting his own numbers. I guess we could blame Watson for Love's inability to hit his targets further down field but most will probably agree that is a QB issue. Watson is 3rd in the league this year in yards per reception at 16.7. Last year he was tied for 10th at 14.9.

Love is learning so we will see but to date he is literally the middle of the pack as a QB. Last season Watson had 7 TD's on 41 receptions. I doubt he has gotten worse but perhaps Rodgers is just a better QB than Love. HMMMM.

Neither of the QB's is very good at throwing WR's open at this point which was really the point and the both WR's need better QB play.

Oh well, my position remains that average or below average QB's won't really determine which WR will be better long term. Neither WR at this point look be able to rise above poor to average QB play.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:05 am

Ice wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:57 am
Not sure what you are talking about with GB trying to force feed Watson early on.

Watson didn't even play the first 3 weeks. Targets week 4 and on. 4,7,5,8,2,7,4,7.

Watson isn't hurting Love's numbers. Love has been quite good at hurting his own numbers. I guess we could blame Watson for Love's inability to hit his targets further down field but most will probably agree that is a QB issue. Watson is 3rd in the league this year in yards per reception at 16.7. Last year he was tied for 10th at 14.9.

Love is learning so we will see but to date he is literally the middle of the pack as a QB. Last season Watson had 7 TD's on 41 receptions. I doubt he has gotten worse but perhaps Rodgers is just a better QB than Love. HMMMM.

Neither of the QB's is very good at throwing WR's open at this point which was really the point and the both WR's need better QB play.

Oh well, my position remains that average or below average QB's won't really determine which WR will be better long term. Neither WR at this point look be able to rise above poor to average QB play.
Love was always going to be a worse QB than Aaron Rodgers in year 1. Don't know why you needed to state the obvious there :lol:

Watching the games, the majority of Watson's targets early on were contested catches that were poorly placed balls. His numbers would've been better if Love threw to better spots, sure.. but like I said, that was more the result of poor rapport. Love demonstrated much better chemistry with the other receivers; Especially Jayden Reed who he has thrown open downfield despite tight coverage repeatedly throughout the year.

Watson has missed a ton of practice time due to a myriad of injuries this year. He played before he was fully recovered from his hamstring injury and hasn't had his game breaking speed for a good portion of the season (no way he doesn't score on his 77 yard reception if he was healthy) then picked up back, knee and shoulder injuries further limiting practice time.

In the last month Love has played much better football -- including downfield and in tight coverage; Areas of weakness you specifically mentioned and this is a big reason I'd expect Watson to see a resurgence to end the year and has me much more optimsitic about his QB situation going forward.
Between Weeks 9-12, #Packers QB Jordan Love is...
3rd in EPA/play
7th in success rate
6th in yards per attempt
5th in adj. completion %
7th in CPOE
3rd in TD passes
4th in passer rating
7th in air yards
5th in PFF passing grade
3rd in big time throws
3rd in completions 20+
Ridder is by every metric a far below average QB and there is no answer at QB on the horizon for the Falcons.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:31 pm

Predicating either side prospects based on current QB level of play is dire. Love will need to get better for Watson to become a solid WR 1/2 … London needs a new QB altogether and a system adjustment to become the same.

As it stands today Watson has some chance … London has NO CHANCE . Expect changes for sure in Atlanta then get back with me on who will be better option going forward.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:54 am

I'm actually not sure the only thing holding Watson back isn't his health. The guy has been dealing with chronic hamstring injuries since day 1. Knee cleanup before his rookie season, and now his third hamstring injury in less than two seasons.

When healthy, he looks solid.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:54 am I'm actually not sure the only thing holding Watson back isn't his health. The guy has been dealing with chronic hamstring injuries since day 1. Knee cleanup before his rookie season, and now his third hamstring injury in less than two seasons.

When healthy, he looks solid.
Really hope he can stay healthy because the talent is obvious.

I'm still surprised people are treating Love with so much trepidation after what he's shown the past 5 games.. I can only assume they've just awoken from a short term coma :lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm I'm still surprised people are treating Love with so much trepidation after what he's shown the past 5 games.. I can only assume they've just awoken from a short term coma :lol:
Not me. He's been immense.

This is the youngest offense in the league by a wide margin at the skill positions. AJ Dillon isn't old (he's 25) but even he has said he feels old when he hears the kids start talking.

Which is all to say that it makes sense that this would take time to click... and now it is. And Love is the trigger man making it all possible.

I love how aggressive he is. He's always got his eyes up, and he loves attacking downfield. Some of those throws yesterday were insane (the bucket shot in particular). You want skill players attached to this guy, imo.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 pm

Watson seems to have chronic hamstring issues. 5th in the last 3 years. His right hamstring keeps giving him issues, this year especially. This is what you would call injury prone. Sucks, because when he's right, he's tough to deal with.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:42 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 pm Watson seems to have chronic hamstring issues. 5th in the last 3 years. His right hamstring keeps giving him issues, this year especially. This is what you would call injury prone. Sucks, because when he's right, he's tough to deal with.
His value is being hamstrung
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:20 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm I'm still surprised people are treating Love with so much trepidation after what he's shown the past 5 games.. I can only assume they've just awoken from a short term coma :lol:
Not me. He's been immense.

This is the youngest offense in the league by a wide margin at the skill positions. AJ Dillon isn't old (he's 25) but even he has said he feels old when he hears the kids start talking.

Which is all to say that it makes sense that this would take time to click... and now it is. And Love is the trigger man making it all possible.

I love how aggressive he is. He's always got his eyes up, and he loves attacking downfield. Some of those throws yesterday were insane (the bucket shot in particular). You want skill players attached to this guy, imo.
Agreed on all points but I suspect many people made up their minds about him years ago and used his mid-season lull to cement their thoughts on him.

I can understand where they're coming from since I had a similar reaction to Josh Allen's breakout a few years ago, but live and learn. :thumbup:

Updated Love stats and the breakout just keeps coming:
Jordan Love the past five weeks
-5th in PFF grade
-4th in Big Time Throw percentage
-7th in Turnover Worthy Play percentage
-6th in Adjusted Completion Percentage
-7th in Average Depth of Target
-9th in Pressure-to-Sack rate
-5th in adjusted completion percentage on throws 20+ yards downfield
-4th in big-time-throw percentage on deep balls

Only CJ Stroud has a better PFF grade on deep balls in the past five weeks.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:34 pm

I think a lot of it was Watsons injury in hindsight. This team should continue to grow around these young guys. Really love how they went all in on the youth and a good bit of them are panning out. Going to be a cheap offense for the next few years and they have flexibility to make a splash add