Is CeeDee Lamb being over-valued right now as WR3 in Dynasty startups?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is CeeDee Lamb being over-valued right now as WR3 in Dynasty startups?

Postby j4pac » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:50 am

Since the week 9 bye, he has averaged 21.2 points/game in PPR. $$$
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 am

I liked him coming out a lot and made the effort to move up and get him at 1.06. Gave up 2.10, 3.10 and 2021 1st to get the 1.06. Which I think is kind of a steal. I think he thought my pick in 2021 would be about the 1.06 and so he was getting two extra picks to get the same pick back. But for me it was all about Lamb. Even funnier it ended up being the 1.11 as I came in second in 2021.

So...I gave up the 1.11, 2.10, and 3.10 for the 1.06 (Lamb). STEAL IMO.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:08 pm

As one of the biggest Lamb critics (and a Cowboys fan), I am happy to see him develop and take that next step.

I do stand by what ive said about him previously. I would have sold high and tried to package him for JJ or Chase. Still would actually.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Bot101 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:08 pm As one of the biggest Lamb critics (and a Cowboys fan), I am happy to see him develop and take that next step.

I do stand by what ive said about him previously. I would have sold high and tried to package him for JJ or Chase. Still would actually.
Isnt that true of pretty much any WR that isnt JJ or Chase though?

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:23 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:11 pm
Bot101 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:08 pm As one of the biggest Lamb critics (and a Cowboys fan), I am happy to see him develop and take that next step.

When I originally said that he was being valued at WR 3, but IMO he was nowhere near that for me at that time. Hes definitely there now.

But anytime I can sell a player whos value is way higher than where I have them I aggressively try to move that guy for an upgrade before the potential for that value to fall becomes realized. I didnt like what I saw from him or how the Cowboys used (hid) him.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:59 am

Bot101 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:23 pm
CGW wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:11 pm

When I originally said that he was being valued at WR 3, but IMO he was nowhere near that for me at that time. Hes definitely there now.

But anytime I can sell a player whos value is way higher than where I have them I aggressively try to move that guy for an upgrade before the potential for that value to fall becomes realized. I didnt like what I saw from him or how the Cowboys used (hid) him.
That's all great and everything, but it wasn't the topic of this thread. :)

The topic was that CDL was overvalued as WR3 (or 4 or 5) for Dynasty startups. As even you have now concluded, it's idiocy to continue to make that claim that CDL is not in that next group of WRs immediately after JJ+Chase.

That's it. Case closed. The thread has its ultimate answer!!!!!!!! Lamb is a great fantasy player worthy of his dynasty rank. Lamb is NOT over-rated. It just took some people a lot lot lot longer than others to realize and admit it. :dance:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:44 am

People were very caught up on the actual ranking of Lamb as the WR3. Similar to how Javonte was RB3 preseason. Sometimes it's just not worth debating what exact rank players are within tiers. We knew Lamb was good and it was quite obvious he belonged in the tier behind JJ/Chase. How many players you put in that tier is up to you. Javonte was more of a projection as RB3 based on age and the position.

The OP is still relevant though. If you can trade the WR3 for the WR6 and change, and both those guys are in the same tier, why not?

Say Lamb for AJB + 2nd. Flip the players and I'll still take the 2nd all day

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:44 am People were very caught up on the actual ranking of Lamb as the WR3. Similar to how Javonte was RB3 preseason. Sometimes it's just not worth debating what exact rank players are within tiers. We knew Lamb was good and it was quite obvious he belonged in the tier behind JJ/Chase. How many players you put in that tier is up to you. Javonte was more of a projection as RB3 based on age and the position.

The OP is still relevant though. If you can trade the WR3 for the WR6 and change, and both those guys are in the same tier, why not?

Except many people in this thread clearly didn't.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:16 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:49 am
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:44 am People were very caught up on the actual ranking of Lamb as the WR3. Similar to how Javonte was RB3 preseason. Sometimes it's just not worth debating what exact rank players are within tiers. We knew Lamb was good and it was quite obvious he belonged in the tier behind JJ/Chase. How many players you put in that tier is up to you. Javonte was more of a projection as RB3 based on age and the position.

Except many people in this thread clearly didn't.
I just scanned the thread. I only saw a few mentions of him not being a WR1. Most people are saying 3 is too high but 6-8 or 4-6 is fine, which is my whole point. Who cares if you have AJB at WR5 and Lamb at WR6? Both have the same weekly potential. He's still in a mix of guys at WR like AJB, DK, Waddle, etc. And now you have Olave, Wilson and ARSB jumping into the mix.

So why would anyone pay up for the WR3 if they can get the WR6, in the same tier, cheaper. I think that's the real point people were making. Sure some said that he was a beta or whatever but thats obviously jusy bad analysis after his 1st 2 years.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:27 am

The listed dynasty WR3 is a completely meaningless designation. All players need to be tiered. At the beginning of the season, Lamb value per KTC was very near the value of the next several WRs.

But when you rank players, someone HAS to be 3. It was never that big of a deal that it was CeeDee, he clearly was worthy of his ranking.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:50 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:16 amI just scanned the thread. I only saw a few mentions of him not being a WR1. Most people are saying 3 is too high but 6-8 or 4-6 is fine, which is my whole point. Who cares if you have AJB at WR5 and Lamb at WR6? Both have the same weekly potential. He's still in a mix of guys at WR like AJB, DK, Waddle, etc. And now you have Olave, Wilson and ARSB jumping into the mix.

So why would anyone pay up for the WR3 if they can get the WR6, in the same tier, cheaper. I think that's the real point people were making. Sure some said that he was a beta or whatever but thats obviously jusy bad analysis after his 1st 2 years.
I'm not sure if you got the whole point of the OP.

You're saying it doesn't matter between WR3 and WR8. I guess the implication is there isn't any meaningful difference between WR3 and WR8. That's fine enough and I won't argue whether there is or isn't. My question is, if the OP agreed with you and thinks WR3 is about the same as WR8, then why would the OP bother to start the thread in the first place?

If the OP agreed with you that 3 and 8 are interchangeable, the thread would have been titled "CDL is listed as WR3 and I really don't care because I think he's WR8 and I think both are the same value."

However, the OP titled this thread "CDL OVERVALUED". Which indicates to me that whereever you might tier CDL, the OP felt there was a difference between WR3 and where the OP felt CDL should have been valued. And a lot of subsequent posters shared similar feelings.

Point being, some people felt very strongly that CDL was very over-valued as WR3.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 am

Anteaters wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:50 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:16 amI just scanned the thread. I only saw a few mentions of him not being a WR1. Most people are saying 3 is too high but 6-8 or 4-6 is fine, which is my whole point. Who cares if you have AJB at WR5 and Lamb at WR6? Both have the same weekly potential. He's still in a mix of guys at WR like AJB, DK, Waddle, etc. And now you have Olave, Wilson and ARSB jumping into the mix.

I'm not sure if you got the whole point of the OP.

You're saying it doesn't matter between WR3 and WR8. I guess the implication is there isn't any meaningful difference between WR3 and WR8. That's fine enough and I won't argue whether there is or isn't. My question is, if the OP agreed with you and thinks WR3 is about the same as WR8, then why would the OP bother to start the thread in the first place?

If the OP agreed with you that 3 and 8 are interchangeable, the thread would have been titled "CDL is listed as WR3 and I really don't care because I think he's WR8 and I think both are the same value."

However, the OP titled this thread "CDL OVERVALUED". Which indicates to me that whereever you might tier CDL, the OP felt there was a difference between WR3 and where the OP felt CDL should have been valued. And a lot of subsequent posters shared similar feelings.

Point being, some people felt very strongly that CDL was very over-valued as WR3.
Yes, that was me, the OP. If you read through all of this, it was not just bashing Lamb, my take was based on the Cowboy offense and their QB.
In 6 years with the Cowboys (pre 2022), Dak had only ever managed to support 1 WR1 in 6 seasons, Amari Cooper was WR10 in 2019.

When I started this thread, Chase and Jefferson were pulling in huge trade value, while I shopped Lamb with very little interest in a 20 team league. Offers were roughly 40% of what one might pay for Jefferson or Chase.
I was getting offers like Bateman and a 1st, or Jeudy and a 1st for Lamb.

So then, combining the fact that KTC had Lamb as WR3 for months, with the fact that he had little value in a 20 team league that trades actively, and Dak's lack of career success supporting WR1's, is why I started this thread.
My league showed me that they did not value Lamb as the WR3 in dynasty.

Obviously, Lamb is now WR5, and has had a great 2022 season, with 3 of the WR's ahead of him being quite a bit older than him, I will now say that Lamb had a great season, and can be a WR1.
I am still leery of if Dak can keep this up, or what the future holds for Lamb, as I see many mocks that have the Cowboys drafting a WR in round 1 in 2023 (JSN seems a popular pick there).

I have no issue if someone wants to rank Lamb as their WR3 though.
I even saw a podcast today where someone had Lamb ranked as their WR2, whatever.
To each their own.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:27 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 amYes, that was me, the OP. If you read through all of this, it was not just bashing Lamb, my take was based on the Cowboy offense and their QB.
In 6 years with the Cowboys (pre 2022), Dak had only ever managed to support 1 WR1 in 6 seasons, Amari Cooper was WR10 in 2019.

When I started this thread, Chase and Jefferson were pulling in huge trade value, while I shopped Lamb with very little interest in a 20 team league. Offers were roughly 40% of what one might pay for Jefferson or Chase.

So then, combining the fact that KTC had Lamb as WR3 for months, with the fact that he had little value in a 20 team league that trades actively, and Dak's lack of career success supporting WR1's, is why I started this thread.

Obviously, Lamb is now WR5, and has had a great 2022 season, with 3 of the WR's ahead of him being quite a bit older than him, I will now say that Lamb had a great season, and can be a WR1.
I am still leery of if Dak can keep this up, or what the future holds for Lamb, as I see many mocks that have the Cowboys drafting a WR in round 1 in 2023 (JSN seems a popular pick there).

I even saw a podcast today where someone had Lamb ranked as their WR2, whatever.
To each their own.
To clarify, I didn't think you had a secret agenda to bash Lamb. And quite honestly, like you I'm doubtful about Dak being all that great of a QB (in real life and for fantasy.)

But I fully believe (and have for a long time) that CDL is not only a true fantasy WR1, but that he's a T5WR for fantasy as long as Dak is healthy and the Dallas offensive scheme remains in place.

That said, I don't doubt that some people once felt laughable offers like Bateman+1st or Jeudy+1st were fair offers for Lamb. Personally, I never ranked those two as being possible WR1s, and I never had them high on my lists of players to draft/trade for. Instead of thinking those offers devalued CDL, I usually assumed those were owners who drastically over-valued JAGs like Bateman and Jeudy. Could be viewed as the same as devaluing CDL, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt that those guys knew the value of CDL and were trying what they considered a slight lowball offer - when in reality any sane Lamb owner would have realized it was a very lowball offer.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:10 am

Anteaters wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:27 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 amYes, that was me, the OP. If you read through all of this, it was not just bashing Lamb, my take was based on the Cowboy offense and their QB.

To each their own.
To clarify, I didn't think you had a secret agenda to bash Lamb. And quite honestly, like you I'm doubtful about Dak being all that great of a QB (in real life and for fantasy.)

But I fully believe (and have for a long time) that CDL is not only a true fantasy WR1, but that he's a T5WR for fantasy as long as Dak is healthy and the Dallas offensive scheme remains in place.

That said, I don't doubt that some people once felt laughable offers like Bateman+1st or Jeudy+1st were fair offers for Lamb. Personally, I never ranked those two as being possible WR1s, and I never had them high on my lists of players to draft/trade for. Instead of thinking those offers devalued CDL, I usually assumed those were owners who drastically over-valued JAGs like Bateman and Jeudy. Could be viewed as the same as devaluing CDL, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt that those guys knew the value of CDL and were trying what they considered a slight lowball offer - when in reality any sane Lamb owner would have realized it was a very lowball offer.
This offseason I gladly pulled the following trade:

Lose: 1.01, 2.01, Diontae Johnson, and 2023 3rd

Gain: Ceedee Lamb, David Montgomery, Michael Pittman, 5.08, 6.08, 2023 5th

I was then able to pull the following trade…

Lose: David Montgomery, 6.08, 2023 1st, 2023 4th,

Gain: 1.06, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd

I ended up getting Jamison Williams at 1.06 and by flipping 2023 1sts, I currently hold 1.02 in spite of being favored in the championship game this week.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:08 am

j4pac wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:10 amThis offseason I gladly pulled the following trade:

Lose: 1.01, 2.01, Diontae Johnson, and 2023 3rd

Gain: Ceedee Lamb, David Montgomery, Michael Pittman, 5.08, 6.08, 2023 5th

I was then able to pull the following trade…

Lose: David Montgomery, 6.08, 2023 1st, 2023 4th,

Gain: 1.06, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd

I ended up getting Jamison Williams at 1.06 and by flipping 2023 1sts, I currently hold 1.02 in spite of being favored in the championship game this week.
:clap: :dance:
Great trade for you. Was that SF or 1qb? Either way, it's great for you. I was just wondering about who the other guy was targeting with the 1.01
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser