Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am
tstafford wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am How good is one of these guys going to be as a rookie if they are buried behind DJM, Keenan, Swift and Kmet?
I don't see any of these WR's being buried behind any of these assets.
To Tim's point, most were pretty high on JSN last season. Not saying to the extent of the top-3 in this year's class, but he was a top pick. Fast forward to 2024 and people are debating whether or not to hold or sell him for the 1.09 because they were disappointed with his rookie production (I think he's a buy for that price personally).

Just saying, if one of these guys performs below expectations, will the same thing happen to them heading into 2025?
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

81- wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm How is stuff like this allowed to go to print?

This is USA Today, or an affiliate of?

How does someone get paid to write with such a lack of understanding of the game of football?

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/lists ... -NpuH4posS

"We’re exploring a potential blockbuster trade scenario in the latest seven-round 2024 NFL mock draft:"

"The Chargers trade quarterback Justin Herbert and their 2024 first-round draft pick (No. 5) for the Patriots’ first-round pick (No. 3). Harbaugh, who has been signing McCarthy’s praises, would be getting a quarterback he’s familiar with on a rookie contract. With Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler gone, the Chargers could be considering a reboot.

The Patriots, on the other hand, get a talented young quarterback and a premium draft pick to add a major offensive weapon."
I can see why you move off Herbert. For being so great, he has just as many pro bowl nods as Trubisky and all he did was lead you to teh 5th pick in the draft.
You don't move off Herbert. He's not the reason they were bad last year. You build around him. When you get a QB of his caliber, you don't trade him for the proverbial mystery box. Please don't compare him to Trubisky in any fashion, it's apples and oranges, and IMO, disingenuous. This isn't even a Kirk Cousins type situation. Herbert is in his prime, and has the talent level and skill set that you could wait another decade plus and still not find in the draft.

He's the one thing the Chargers have that you don't move. He's a set it and forget it at the position. As the new GM/coach, he's the one piece you have coming into the job where you say, "I'm set at the most important position." You then build with your draft/FA to have a team that can be competitive yearly.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am
81- wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm How is stuff like this allowed to go to print?

This is USA Today, or an affiliate of?

How does someone get paid to write with such a lack of understanding of the game of football?

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/lists ... -NpuH4posS

"We’re exploring a potential blockbuster trade scenario in the latest seven-round 2024 NFL mock draft:"

"The Chargers trade quarterback Justin Herbert and their 2024 first-round draft pick (No. 5) for the Patriots’ first-round pick (No. 3). Harbaugh, who has been signing McCarthy’s praises, would be getting a quarterback he’s familiar with on a rookie contract. With Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler gone, the Chargers could be considering a reboot.

The Patriots, on the other hand, get a talented young quarterback and a premium draft pick to add a major offensive weapon."
I can see why you move off Herbert. For being so great, he has just as many pro bowl nods as Trubisky and all he did was lead you to teh 5th pick in the draft.
You don't move off Herbert. He's not the reason they were bad last year. You build around him. When you get a QB of his caliber, you don't trade him for the proverbial mystery box. Please don't compare him to Trubisky in any fashion, it's apples and oranges, and IMO, disingenuous. This isn't even a Kirk Cousins type situation. Herbert is in his prime, and has the talent level and skill set that you could wait another decade plus and still not find in the draft.

He's the one thing the Chargers have that you don't move. He's a set it and forget it at the position. As the new GM/coach, he's the one piece you have coming into the job where you say, "I'm set at the most important position." You then build with your draft/FA to have a team that can be competitive yearly.
I don’t get anyone seeing logic behind that move either. And comparing Herbert to Trubisky? Seriously?

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

That has to be the dumbest trade I've ever seen in my life

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm

What’s the deal with that photo if Jayden Daniels’ elbow? It looks wacky, unless that was some optical illusion type of stuff

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm What’s the deal with that photo if Jayden Daniels’ elbow? It looks wacky, unless that was some optical illusion type of stuff
lol that pic is gonna send him plummeting down the ranks
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am
Jrblaha wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

I don't see any of these WR's being buried behind any of these assets.
You see Odunze as the bears #2 passing target if he goes to the bears? (For this year)
I see by the end of the year he will have shown himself to be the best pass catcher on the team moving forward. I love KA, but age is age. At best Moore is Odunze's equal IMO. In the context of the original point, I don't see any of these three WR's losing fantasy value landing in Chicago.
I'm with Murph here.

Keenan Allen has played one full season out of his last four, and is 31 years old with a long history of soft-tissue injuries.

If Odunze landed in Chicago, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest, and I would enjoy buying any available dip.

The JSN comparison doesn't really hold water, for the simple fact: that Odunze is a far better prospect than JSN.

And I believe that will be proven out by Draft Capital in a month's time.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm What’s the deal with that photo if Jayden Daniels’ elbow? It looks wacky, unless that was some optical illusion type of stuff
It's olecranon bursitis, aka "an inflammation of the bursa, which is a sac that is usually empty and is there to protect the bone underneath." We have them in several joints including the elbow and the knee.

It's exacerbated by the angle of that photo. There are other photos from the same throwing session where it looks much more normal.

You can read more about it here. In short: it's common, and not a big deal.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

mild wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 pm
It's olecranon bursitis, aka "an inflammation of the bursa, which is a sac that is usually empty and is there to protect the bone underneath." We have them in several joints including the elbow and the knee.

It's exacerbated by the angle of that photo. There are other photos from the same throwing session where it looks much more normal.

You can read more about it here. In short: it's common, and not a big deal.
Ewe.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Zeke, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.03, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 1.08, 2.02
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 am

mild wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm
Jrblaha wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

You see Odunze as the bears #2 passing target if he goes to the bears? (For this year)
I see by the end of the year he will have shown himself to be the best pass catcher on the team moving forward. I love KA, but age is age. At best Moore is Odunze's equal IMO. In the context of the original point, I don't see any of these three WR's losing fantasy value landing in Chicago.
I'm with Murph here.

Keenan Allen has played one full season out of his last four, and is 31 years old with a long history of soft-tissue injuries.

If Odunze landed in Chicago, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest, and I would enjoy buying any available dip.

The JSN comparison doesn't really hold water, for the simple fact: that Odunze is a far better prospect than JSN.

Bolded part is right. However if we rewound to draft time last year a significant portion of the FF community more or less ignored that JSN went in the 20's in the draft. For whatever reason that didn't seem to get integrated in to their assessment of JSN.

FWIW - My point is not about ]SN or Odunze but more that FF has become less patient as a whole. Immediate production at WR and TE is now the expectation.

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:02 am

tstafford wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 am

I'm with Murph here.

Bolded part is right. However if we rewound to draft time last year a significant portion of the FF community more or less ignored that JSN went in the 20's in the draft. For whatever reason that didn't seem to get integrated in to their assessment of JSN.

FWIW - My point is not about ]SN or Odunze but more that FF has become less patient as a whole. Immediate production at WR and TE is now the expectation.
Agreed, which is why even though Murph could be right for by end of the year, I think even in that scenario there’s a mid-year buy low opportunity for any of those 3 in Chicago (before they take over KA) for some impatient owners.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 am

Jrblaha wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:02 am
tstafford wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 am

I'm with Murph here.

Agreed, which is why even though Murph could be right for by end of the year, I think even in that scenario there’s a mid-year buy low opportunity for any of those 3 in Chicago (before they take over KA) for some impatient owners.
Maybe right. And I think the smart move is to recognize that the way FF managers value players has shifted of late. There are buying opportunities presented by the impatience IMHO. But of course I bought Burks "low" and look silly on that one! But buying low on London looks promising.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am

The complaint of dynasty owners not being patient enough probably goes back to the start of the hobby. I know I saw it on these forums 10+ years ago. It’s not some new thing. People are impatient, and sometimes justifiably so.

The fact that this is dynasty doesn’t change the fact that some guys just won’t cut it.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:28 am

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am People are impatient, and sometimes justifiably so.

The fact that this is dynasty doesn’t change the fact that some guys just won’t cut it.
Truth!!
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:15 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am The complaint of dynasty owners not being patient enough probably goes back to the start of the hobby. I know I saw it on these forums 10+ years ago. It’s not some new thing. People are impatient, and sometimes justifiably so.

For clarity - I'm not complaining about it. It's fine. I view it as an opportunity. I guess in that sense, I'm glad about it!