Trey Lance thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Trey Lance thread

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:56 pm

Well, I can't find a Lance thread, so feel like gotta set the table. Last year, SF traded a bundle of picks (including several 1sts) to move up and draft Trey Lance. He had little starting experience (including one game in a Covid shortened season) but SF drafted him thinking he'd have the 2021 season to sit behind Jimmy G and learn, potentially challenging him for the starting role if he hit the ground running.

Going into the 2022 season,it was thought/hoped that he'd show enough development to allow SF to trade Jimmy away, and a league always thirsty for QB play would allow them to get some value. They've either over played their hand or Jimmy's surgery severely affected his trade market.

So now, San Fran has two QBs- a 2nd year guy not showing development (reportedly) while an established veteran has locker room support. If they can't find a Garoppolo trade worth doing, should they instead consider trading Lance?

As crazy as that seemed when I thought that up earlier today, I've since seen various articles and talking heads that've suggested that same thing over the last few months. One article from a month ago suggested teams like Minnesota and Pittsburgh as potential trade partners.

Could Lance have been the target when Jim Irsay said Indy had "explored" trading 2 1sts for a young QB? With a hole there now, could Atlanta go for him, or Tennessee?

How does Lance compare to the rookie prospects in an underwhelming QB class?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Trey Lance thread

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:31 pm

Lance obviously has a ton of raw talent but as much as the fantasy community tries to believe players enter the league as a fully baked cake it just isn’t so.

Mahomes took a year, Rodgers took three. Steve Young took 7 Years or so to become great.

Simply too soon to know but SF is very fortunate to have Jimmy G at this point IMO.

Lance compares very favorably to this years class but he was little more than a lump of clay when drafted which is why so many thought they were going after M. Jones.

Patience is needed in a big way with Lance; it could be 2023.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Lance is 6'4"226 and can run. The fantasy community is thirsty to see this young QB carry this team and their fantasy team to a championship. I think it's a 75% chance he starts Week 1. If we get to end of July and Jimmy G is still on the roster then I'm starting to worry.

For all we know these reports are a tactic to create value for Jimmy G. It's always beneficial from a bargaining view that you, yourself value that asset. If reports came out that Lance is doing great and oh, hey I guess we have an extra QB now you want him?? Well you can see how that would affect your leverage.

When you are trading "starting QB of the 49ers" that's a different discussion than trading your back-up.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:39 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:56 pm Well, I can't find a Lance thread, so feel like gotta set the table. Last year, SF traded a bundle of picks (including several 1sts) to move up and draft Trey Lance. He had little starting experience (including one game in a Covid shortened season) but SF drafted him thinking he'd have the 2021 season to sit behind Jimmy G and learn, potentially challenging him for the starting role if he hit the ground running.

Going into the 2022 season,it was thought/hoped that he'd show enough development to allow SF to trade Jimmy away, and a league always thirsty for QB play would allow them to get some value. They've either over played their hand or Jimmy's surgery severely affected his trade market.

So now, San Fran has two QBs- a 2nd year guy not showing development (reportedly) while an established veteran has locker room support. If they can't find a Garoppolo trade worth doing, should they instead consider trading Lance?

As crazy as that seemed when I thought that up earlier today, I've since seen various articles and talking heads that've suggested that same thing over the last few months. One article from a month ago suggested teams like Minnesota and Pittsburgh as potential trade partners.

Could Lance have been the target when Jim Irsay said Indy had "explored" trading 2 1sts for a young QB? With a hole there now, could Atlanta go for him, or Tennessee?

Lance would likely be the 1.01 in this class. At least Zierlein has confirmed that notion this off-season.

By all accounts Lance has shown a lot of improvement. Some people are speculating that he's still not ready but I haven't found anyone that says his development has stagnated -- All interested parties have raved about his ability to improve.. but admittedly they're incentivized to instill hope in their young QB.

I think we're going way off into left field with any speculation that has SF trading their young QB. The closest thing I've heard about him being traded was Watson and SF thought well enough about him that they'd only be willing to even talk about trades if Watson would 100% choose their team -- because he's that well respected as a football talent.

The young QB Irsay talked about could be almost any of the rookie/sophomore QBs. Hell, it could've been Kyler Murray after he publicly demanded a contract for all we know. It's pointless to speculate about it given the information we know now.
Last edited by Sriracha on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:48 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:56 pm Well, I can't find a Lance thread, so feel like gotta set the table. Last year, SF traded a bundle of picks (including several 1sts) to move up and draft Trey Lance. He had little starting experience (including one game in a Covid shortened season) but SF drafted him thinking he'd have the 2021 season to sit behind Jimmy G and learn, potentially challenging him for the starting role if he hit the ground running.

more and more news seems to be coming out that Jimmy's surgery was more than originally hoped and while it was his non-throwing shoulder, he'll be unable to practice until closer to preseason (which is not what teams really want when bringing in a QB). Its hard to tell what's the real reason he hasn't been dealt yet, but I'll point out that in 2021, the 49ers went with Jimmy G over Lance to get to and in the playoffs. They still have the goal of winning the Superbowl and its very possible Jimmy G gives them a better chance of doing it this year.

I think its very possible that the rumors prior to last year's draft of Shanahan wanting Mac Jones may have some truth to it and that Trey lance was really the front office's choice. Given the amount of time in advance that the move was made, we should assume that there were atleast 2 QBs not named Lawrence that the 49ers thought were worth the 3rd overall pick.

The ultimate issue with trading lance now is that they aren't going to regain the amount of draft capital invested in him. I think ultimately at some point the 49ers are going to have to suck it up and start lance, and if it costs them a playoff spot it costs them a playoff spot. they need to know if this guy can play.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:22 pm

All I know, is that it would be absolutely hilarious if Lance ends up being a complete bust, and Mac Jones develops into one of the top QB's in the league knowing that SF was essentially bullied out of taking Jones lmao.

Not to say that an NFL team is going to ignore their scouts, and only listen to their fans. But if they really liked both prospects, there is no doubt in my mind that the impending fan reaction would make a difference
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 pm

Reports are Garoppolo surgery was on his throwing surgery, Is that not correct? Baker's surgery was on his non throwing shoulder.

With that said, how can any team trade for Garoppolo after his shoulder surgery without seeing how he has recovered? Also, how can SF trust him to be their starter? If they were to trade Trey Lance, they'd had to have done it early March to maximize his trade value, now teams are mostly set at QB, so SF will surely lose value in trading him.

SF drafted Trey Lance largely because Garoppolo cannot stay healthy. That has been further confirmed this past season. Plus Lance offers more upside to help SF win the SB.

I believe SF already had a SB caliber team without taking on the huge risk of trading up for Lance. But now that they have, they need to go all in on Lance. They would be better off going into 2022 with both QBs on the roster, in case Lance is not developing as "reported".

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:51 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 pm Reports are Garoppolo surgery was on his throwing surgery, Is that not correct? Baker's surgery was on his non throwing shoulder.

With that said, how can any team trade for Garoppolo after his shoulder surgery without seeing how he has recovered? Also, how can SF trust him to be their starter? If they were to trade Trey Lance, they'd had to have done it early March to maximize his trade value, now teams are mostly set at QB, so SF will surely lose value in trading him.

SF drafted Trey Lance largely because Garoppolo cannot stay healthy. That has been further confirmed this past season. Plus Lance offers more upside to help SF win the SB.

I believe SF already had a SB caliber team without taking on the huge risk of trading up for Lance. But now that they have, they need to go all in on Lance. They would be better off going into 2022 with both QBs on the roster, in case Lance is not developing as "reported".
Ah it was his throwing shoulder. I must have gotten it mixed up with Mayfields.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:23 am

Would not be surprised at all if Lance didn't start most of, or all of this year. Lynch and Shanny's legacy in SF will live or die by that pick. I'd actually be surprised if Jimmy G is moved for less than a first, which is unlikely. What can a non elite pick provide that is greater than what Jimmy G provides that team? He's been able to quarterback that team deep into the playoffs on several occasions, he knows the system, teammates seem to like him, and he's side by side with Lance every day helping him develop, even if it's by osmosis. Lance is still super young and raw. If they throw him in too early, he may not have the same trajectory compared to if he has a few years to develop.

If Lance starts year 3, and does really well, nobody will care at that point, compared to if he starts this year and struggles. Sure, the media may talk all about how he should be playing and this and that, but if Jimmy G is playing well, who cares? Lance's long term development is the key, even if it takes a few years. If he's not ready, he's not ready. With proper development, he could theoretically step on the field and make Mac Jones look pedestrian, if his development happens and it links up with his physical talents. It will be very interesting to see how they approach it, that's for sure. I have no skin in the game. I drafted Lance and moved him for Swift in a free SF league, I really don't have any care how it shapes out from my own teams perspectives, but it's a very unique situation right now, and one I am just interested in, to see how it unfolds.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:48 am

I’m skeptical of the Lance pick and was skeptical about him even before the draft last year. That said, it’s WAY too early to be jumping to any conclusions unless SF has seen flaws in his game that just can’t be coached out. The rush to get a young QB into games can be detrimental to their development and career if they just aren’t ready. Patience is required.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:52 am

I was expecting some kind of a deal in which ARodge is traded for Lance.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:40 am

I really don't think Lance looked like a good quarterback last year. He's in a great situation, has the legs, and has time to develop, but my money is on him not panning out.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:52 am

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:40 am I really don't think Lance looked like a good quarterback last year. He's in a great situation, has the legs, and has time to develop, but my money is on him not panning out.
Niners foolishly gave up three first rounders to move to a spot to draft a QB that they ended up changing their mind on (Mac Jones).

Trey Lance has looked terrible. I'm a huge Niner fan, I'll come out and say it. I'm disappointed in the whole thing. He has athleticism, but he doesn't have the processing speed needed for this offense. Jimmy G was injured all year long, and the badly injured QB was the better option than a highly drafted QB? Not good.

Plus, when Trey was in the game, they resorted to so many running plays that it made my head spin. They literally gave up on letting him pass the ball.

Red flags everywhere.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 am

I understand people not being sold on Lance since we’ve seen so little of him, but I’m confused with the narrative that he is a bust. There is very limited sample size so it’s not a completely fair comparison, but he had the best passer rating of any rookie QB last year with 97.3 (per ESPN stats). He was at 4th on QBR just behind Jones, Mills, and Lawrence. Lawrence had 33.5 and Lance had 33.4 so it was close to a tie for 3rd. Even if you eliminate the games where he was brought in at the goal line, he had the third best TD:Int ratio. If you count all snaps taken, he was first. He certainly benefited most from landing spot and surrounding talent to bail him out, but not sure how someone would count being in an awesome spot as a bad thing. He certainly has work to do on mechanics, footwork, and reading defenses/ getting the ball out quicker, but most rookies do. I need to see more from him before anointing him a QB1, but I don’t see any reason to bail now. Jimmy being on the team is more about lack of trade market, and a too high asking price.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am

BabyChark23 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 am I understand people not being sold on Lance since we’ve seen so little of him, but I’m confused with the narrative that he is a bust. There is very limited sample size so it’s not a completely fair comparison, but he had the best passer rating of any rookie QB last year with 97.3 (per ESPN stats). He was at 4th on QBR just behind Jones, Mills, and Lawrence. Lawrence had 33.5 and Lance had 33.4 so it was close to a tie for 3rd. Even if you eliminate the games where he was brought in at the goal line, he had the third best TD:Int ratio. If you count all snaps taken, he was first. He certainly benefited most from landing spot and surrounding talent to bail him out, but not sure how someone would count being in an awesome spot as a bad thing. He certainly has work to do on mechanics, footwork, and reading defenses/ getting the ball out quicker, but most rookies do. I need to see more from him before anointing him a QB1, but I don’t see any reason to bail now. Jimmy being on the team is more about lack of trade market, and a too high asking price.
I don't think anyone's calling him a bust yet, but if I had to project, I'd project him as a bust. The limited tape he put out there last year was not good in my opinion. Youtube has every snap he took (I'm pretty sure) across a few different videos.

Lawrence was surprisingly bad given how he's perceived as a prospect, but hard to compare the two given the polar opposite situations they were thrown into.