Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:18 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:33 pm I'm not even sure what this thread is arguing anymore. Jalen Hurts is not a guy that is going to get paid, and take a fall down the totem poll in talent. All the man has done, is get better and better and he is an awesome guy to watch improve in all facets. He has a solid win now window and when AJB time comes for a renewal, they either resign him or Smith or draft some other talent. Hurts has the talent to make it work with whoever, but having at least one of those guys will make him a star for a long time.

People act like Peyton Manning didn't have Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison for a long time...
I'm sure Howie will draft a stud WR right before those contracts are coming due. Mild is right, and if you listen to any other pods, they're all saying the same thing. This Eagles team is structured near perfection for the next several years. They even have 2 1sts this year lol

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:18 am I'm sure Howie will draft a stud WR right before those contracts are coming due. Mild is right, and if you listen to any other pods, they're all saying the same thing. This Eagles team is structured near perfection for the next several years. They even have 2 1sts this year lol
Here's hoping he trades for one rather than drafting... :shock: :lol:

Howie's done some amazing work to make us (almost) forget Reagor over Jefferson...

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:07 pm

mild wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:21 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:18 am I'm sure Howie will draft a stud WR right before those contracts are coming due. Mild is right, and if you listen to any other pods, they're all saying the same thing. This Eagles team is structured near perfection for the next several years. They even have 2 1sts this year lol

Howie's done some amazing work to make us (almost) forget Reagor over Jefferson...
Almost. :lol: That was a terrible pick.
But yeah, Howie has redeemed himself in a BIG way!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:21 pm

mild wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:45 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:27 pm :lol: :lol:

Yeah, because opening the bank vault for a QB has worked out so well for Russ Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, etc. :lol:

My thoughts are purely real life, since Eagles are my team.
Right, so to be clear: your "real life" stance is that Hurts is not worth 50m per year, and that you wish they would let him walk and roll with Gardner Minschew and/or sign Jimmy G? Sounds like you definitely wouldn't want Josh Allen, as he's an overpaid bum!

And you wish you didn't have to be in this position to pay him the -checks notes- "current market rate" because he is -checks notes- "a very good QB that just took you to the Superbowl in his 3rd season in the league".

Good to know! :thumbup:
MacDaddy123 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:27 pm Having already thrown the bank at AJ Brown, if Eagles throw the bank at Hurts this off-season, they may find themselves in a similar position of having to trade away DeVonta Smith after 2023, when he is due to get paid.

Hard to compete with a $50 mil QB and $50 mil on two WR's, which is why Chiefs traded away Tyreek.
Trading away Tyreek did not seem to hurt the Chiefs or Mahomes though.
I still struggle to compare Hurts to Mahomes though, as I think that Mahomes is the only NFL QB deserving of $50 mil/year.
*ehhhhh* *incorrect buzzer sound*

Devonta Smith is a first round pick, and as of such, will have a 5th year option, exercisable in 2024.

For an Eagles fan, you sure seem lacking on the finer details of your own team! How is a Giants fan taking you to school on your own team's contract setup? :lol:

For 2025, I would suggest the Franchise Tag.

For 2026, I would suggest making a decision between a now-29 year old AJ Brown and a 28-year old Devonta Smith, and keeping whichever one is better. Or drafting/trading for someone new!

All QB's of note are about to earn 50 million a year shortly man. Best look away... you're not gonna like what happens next! :wave:
I don't believe I said that at all.
You, being a Giants fan, are dying to give Hurts $50 mil/year. I hear ya. :lol:

I am dying for the Giants to lock up Daniel Jones for $45 mil/year!!

Let's just throw stupid money at every QB!!
Yea, spending other people's money is so irresponsible, and yet so fun!!! Wahoo!!!

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:22 pm

mild wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Gotta love the J. J. Arcega-Whiteside pick over DK Metcalf too! :thumbup:

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:48 am

Not a Howie fan but he has built probably the most balanced roster for the near future with a mix of young & old despite a cpl of bad misses.

Also has a cpl of 1st rd picks to replace retiring / aging players on high salaries with cheaper rookie deals over the next 4-5 seasons so that helps absorb a lot Hurts bump in pay per season. Will be interesting to see how Kelce & Lane Johnson production gets replaced to keep O-line near the high level into the future. I see that as a key to remaining a NFC favorite for the next 5 years as well as Hurts continued growth and remaining an MVP candidate year after year

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:36 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:48 am Not a Howie fan but he has built probably the most balanced roster for the near future with a mix of young & old despite a cpl of bad misses.

Also has a cpl of 1st rd picks to replace retiring / aging players on high salaries with cheaper rookie deals over the next 4-5 seasons so that helps absorb a lot Hurts bump in pay per season. Will be interesting to see how Kelce & Lane Johnson production gets replaced to keep O-line near the high level into the future. I see that as a key to remaining a NFC favorite for the next 5 years as well as Hurts continued growth and remaining an MVP candidate year after year
Cam Jurgens is a name you'll be interested to know about.

"How Jason Kelce helped pick his eventual replacement"
“I knew we were taking him,” Kelce said as a guest on Bleacher Report’s NFL Draft Show. “This is my favorite player in the draft.”

“The Eagles have been using me to like evaluate some of the centers coming out,” Kelce said, “and of all the guys that I’ve looked at for the past two three years, of all the guys that compare the most to myself, this guy is him.

“He is so athletic, so fast, you see him out in space, he runs, he’s a natural athlete. You see the fluidity. … This guy is a freak athletically, he has the best chance to be a difference maker at the center position. I like this kid a lot. I really do.”
As I've said a lot in this thread... Howie Roseman: pretty good at his job.

The fact that they sold it to Kelce as "this is the guy you're going to groom to replace you" is an amazing way of flipping what is usually an awkward situation on its head, too. (ie. imagine if the Steelers had said that outright to Chase Claypool re. George Pickens... which they basically did, but with not so many words...)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:09 pm

mild wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:36 pm
cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:48 am Not a Howie fan but he has built probably the most balanced roster for the near future with a mix of young & old despite a cpl of bad misses.

Cam Jurgens is a name you'll be interested to know about.

"How Jason Kelce helped pick his eventual replacement"
“I knew we were taking him,” Kelce said as a guest on Bleacher Report’s NFL Draft Show. “This is my favorite player in the draft.”

“The Eagles have been using me to like evaluate some of the centers coming out,” Kelce said, “and of all the guys that I’ve looked at for the past two three years, of all the guys that compare the most to myself, this guy is him.

“He is so athletic, so fast, you see him out in space, he runs, he’s a natural athlete. You see the fluidity. … This guy is a freak athletically, he has the best chance to be a difference maker at the center position. I like this kid a lot. I really do.”
As I've said a lot in this thread... Howie Roseman: pretty good at his job.

The fact that they sold it to Kelce as "this is the guy you're going to groom to replace you" is an amazing way of flipping what is usually an awkward situation on its head, too. (ie. imagine if the Steelers had said that outright to Chase Claypool re. George Pickens... which they basically did, but with not so many words...)
It’s a bit different when you’re talking replacement on your way to retirement as opposed to replacing you while you’re still on your rookie deal…
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:06 pm

mild wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:11 pm
dondickenson wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:55 pm In 2022, Hurts had not only an elite O line but THE elite O line; one of the best ever to play the game. He had elite weapons, and was an absolute beast running the ball. What happens if/when he hits the same set of issues that Dak and so many other QBs have hit? Or is he just magically immune and didn’t benefit at all from everything about his situation being as good as it will likely ever get?
How about we worry about that in 2024 when it's actually an issue? Because the whole gang is back for 2023 at this stage.

Unless, y'know, you don't like winning fantasy leagues, I guess that's fair.

The number 1 QB sell in fantasy eh... I look forward to asking how that's going in the future. If you're saying "sell him now" then I can't imagine you had many (or any) shares to begin with, sounds like you would have sold a long time ago...
:think: :think: :think:

Hmmmmmm.
dondickenson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:16 am And no one has even attempted to address the fact that his situation was perfect in every way, and has nowhere to go but down from here. Roster, specifically OL, will get worse. His rushing ability will deteriorate. NFL isn’t likely to make rules on their scrum QB sneak any more favorable than they already are, likely less. Historically QBs in his position, whether it be on a rookie contract, SB debut loser, predominantly running QB, have regressed, often spectacularly. I guess if people want to bury their heads in the sand on this and make snarky, insightless comments here then that is on them.
Just in case anyone was wondering:

The 24 year old QB who just put up the most ungodly fantasy stat line in a Superbowl since the 1990's...

- Will retain all starters from his OL
- Will retain all pass catchers that gave him his breakout year
- Will be rugby-scrum push-playing to his heart's content in 2023.

Zero teams had an issue with it. No proposals were made.

What we got haters, anything else? :lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:04 pm

-bangs gavel- "Order! Orrrr-darrrrrrrr!"

-murmuring intensifies-

"Hear ye, hear ye... there has been a NEW verdict. The Philadelphia Eagles have been found GUILTY of paying a Franchise QB a lot of money. The verdict is IN!"

5 years - $255 million dollars
$179.3 mil total guaranteed
$110 mil guaranteed at signing
$23 mil signing bonus
Average yearly salary of $51 mil
No Trade Clause
Effective team control until 2028

Behold, the verdict: this is your Eagles Franchise QB of the 2020's.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:13 pm

Put down the lotion! :lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:27 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:13 pm Put down the lotion! :lol:
Officially the highest paid player in NFL history!

Worthy of celebration!

Behold, the 51 page verdict! :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm

That 24 year old QB has a 35 year old center and 32 year old RT.
They also lost 7 starters 5 on defense.

I doubt they even repeat as division winners this season.

Okay back to the Hurts party!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:26 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm That 24 year old QB has a 35 year old center and 32 year old RT.

Spot the Cowboys fan everyone!

Mike McCarthy is your personal Jesus and I love that for you. :thumbup:

OK back to the Hurts party!

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:02 pm

mild wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:26 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm That 24 year old QB has a 35 year old center and 32 year old RT.

Spot the Cowboys fan everyone!

Mike McCarthy is your personal Jesus and I love that for you. :thumbup:

OK back to the Hurts party!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the Eagles front, per Kelce: Howie has been talking to him for years about him scouting to find his replacement. As well as finding guys for the OL. Will those guys be HOFers like a couple of existing guys? Probably not, but they have been working on this behind the scenes.