Is an NFL draft lottery coming???

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Is an NFL draft lottery coming???

Postby Shawn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Just was thinking with all of the obsession over the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes, as people already are already sizing up teams for Luck to go to, if it might be time for the NFL to create a draft lottery, much like the NBA does. While we don't really see it now too much right now, once we get towards the end of the season we could see some real tank jobs for the teams fighting for that top pick. Is it time for the NFL to adopt a draft lottery???
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is an NFL draft lottery coming???

Postby MikeCross » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 pm

No sir. The NFL will not stoop to the level of Professional Wrestiling/NBA. NBA makes me sick..... everything about that stupid rigged "Sport". Seriously just hope it goes away.

And Luck is not worth the #1 overall pick, as Ive said a million times... Hes the next Jake Locker imo.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Seriously, I talked up Mallet ALL offseason, these are the QBs the NFL needs to covet. All we do is see running QBs turn into WR4s, and get hurt every week and loose if they actually get a chance to start at QB.... Its guys like Manning, Brady, Rivers, Stafford, and Mallet... that the NFL needs to draft #1.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 am

I don't think luck is the consensus #1 pick like everyone believes. There's always someone that comes out of nowhere plus look at locker last year. Also I don't teams will purposely tank. Last year alone there were a couple teams who legitimately could have end 0-16 but won a game or 2 at the end. It seems logical but doesn't really happen in the nfl. Peoples jobs and reputations are on the line.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 am

DyeNasty wrote:I don't think luck is the consensus #1 pick like everyone believes. There's always someone that comes out of nowhere plus look at locker last year. Also I don't teams will purposely tank. Last year alone there were a couple teams who legitimately could have end 0-16 but won a game or 2 at the end. It seems logical but doesn't really happen in the nfl. Peoples jobs and reputations are on the line.
First of all...I say nay nay to the draft lottery

2nd....Luck is the consensus #1 pick. He was analyzed and evaluated heavily last year because he was expected to come out. Locker really wasn't to this extent and he was never billed a once in a decade QB. It was never that cut and dry.

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm

He was billed that by talking heads and people like you on forums. I'm not saying he's not good but their are plenty guys who get tagged like that and bust. Just because you say he is doesn't mean he is because the team with number 1 may not need a QB and decide to take a tackle who dominated at his position. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnnyFive » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 pm

DyeNasty wrote:He was billed that by talking heads and people like you on forums. I'm not saying he's not good but their are plenty guys who get tagged like that and bust. Just because you say he is doesn't mean he is because the team with number 1 may not need a QB and decide to take a tackle who dominated at his position. Nothing is ever guaranteed.
He was billed the #1 QB in the past decade by many of the top NFL scouts.
Keep On Rockin In The Free World

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Once we get later on in the season, we could see a team like KC or Indy or something needing just 2 losses to secure the #1 pick and Luck, and at that point can you blame any team for tanking?? Even if Luck isn't the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I'd say he's worth the tank job even if he becomes the next Matt Ryan or Josh Freeman. The NFL's problem is that a tanking for Luck could also effect the playoff race, especially if someone like Indy decides to tank games and directly send other teams to the playoffs (like they have before when they were great, and could rest Peyton and others) . Adding to the problem, is that some of the fans of these teams will encourage tanking (they already are to an extent), as they understand what the impact of someone like Andrew Luck could have on their team.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Shawn wrote:Once we get later on in the season, we could see a team like KC or Indy or something needing just 2 losses to secure the #1 pick and Luck, and at that point can you blame any team for tanking?? Even if Luck isn't the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I'd say he's worth the tank job even if he becomes the next Matt Ryan or Josh Freeman. The NFL's problem is that a tanking for Luck could also effect the playoff race, especially if someone like Indy decides to tank games and directly send other teams to the playoffs (like they have before when they were great, and could rest Peyton and others) . Adding to the problem, is that some of the fans of these teams will encourage tanking (they already are to an extent), as they understand what the impact of someone like Andrew Luck could have on their team.
I could understand the fan base, owner and possibly the GM being motivated to lose a game in that situation but I don't see it for the coaching staff and players. The coaching staff job security is tenuous at best on a team that is worst in the league and they'll be playing for their own job and/or improving their chances of landing somewhere else after they're let go in the offseason. It's hard to imagine players actually wanting to lose a game just to get a higher draft pick next year. They're playing for job security, contract extensions, pay escalators and pride. Most of them wouldn't even be around to reap the benefits someone like Luck could bring a few years down the road.

So no I don't see tanking for draft picks being a problem. I think what you mentioned about elite teams changing playoff fortunes by resting their starters is a larger concern, but I'm not sure that anything can be done about it.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm

I agree that Luck is the consensus #1 pick right now but that does not mean he will be drafted #1 overall. A lot can happen between now and then although I doubt much if anything will change. The issue I see is what if a team like the Rams or Panthers end up with the 1st overall pick? Trading down is always a possibility but if a deal can't be reached I highly doubt either of those teams would take Luck.

Situation does matter in the NFL...

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I agree that Luck is the consensus # pick right now but that does not mean he will be drafted #1 overall. A lot can happen between now and then although I doubt much if anything will change. The issue I see is what if a team like the Rams or Panthers end up with the 1st overall pick? Trading down is always a possibility but if a deal can't be reached I highly doubt either of those teams would take Luck.

Thats more or less what I was saying... He is the consensus #1 talent, but not the #1 pick, thats two different things.... No doubt he is prolly the best prospect coming out, but everyone is pinning the colts to take him if they ended up #1 which makes absolutely no sense. If the team at #1 needs a QB then yes he will go, but if not he will not be drafted just to say hey we got the best guy out there...

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I agree that Luck is the consensus #1 pick right now but that does not mean he will be drafted #1 overall. A lot can happen between now and then although I doubt much if anything will change. The issue I see is what if a team like the Rams or Panthers end up with the 1st overall pick? Trading down is always a possibility but if a deal can't be reached I highly doubt either of those teams would take Luck.

In past years, I'd have disagreed with the bolded part. But if a team like the Rams or Panthers did happen to get that top pick, I'd put money on a team trading up to get Luck. The new rookie salary structure has once again made top picks in the NFL draft valuable, rather than a financial curse. Unless something drastic happens, Luck will be the #1 pick no matter what happens in the NFL this season.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 am

No way is a lottery coming. That would be absolutely horrible for the league and totally unnecessary. I don't believe for a moment that there is any NFL team "tanking" the season for a high draft pick. If we learn nothing else from draft history it is that even the top draft picks can totally bust. So you throw away a season to spend big money on a player who may never amount to anything? Illogical.

Take a look at a team like the Chiefs. Does anyone think they are tanking? I don't. I just think they are a HORRIBLY coached franchise. The Colts obviously didn't forsee that Manning was going to miss the season like he is now. Most of your other low end teams have been low end for years - not much has really changed.

The "Suck for Luck" is merely a made up concept in the minds of NFL fans.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:17 am

MikeCross wrote:No sir. The NFL will not stoop to the level of Professional Wrestiling/NBA. NBA makes me sick..... everything about that stupid rigged "Sport". Seriously just hope it goes away.

And Luck is not worth the #1 overall pick, as Ive said a million times... Hes the next Jake Locker imo.
Wow! I love this...agree wholeheartedly with you on this Mike!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play