GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tua Tagovailoa Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:54 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:51 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 am
killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 am

counterpoint: brandin cooks.
Don't think Cooks ever had 2 in 4 days, and had the severity of trauma that Tua displayed.

Counter point, Jhavid Best. He had 3 documented concussions, but due to the closeness and severity, was forced to retire based on medical advice. Cooks sought advice, and was cleared I believe.

With the severity of what happened with Tua, another one may yield results like Best.
or it may not. concussions are weird and not all the same: you can't say if his next concussion is more likely to end is career than not, you can't say the other way round either.
They are weird, but again, the trauma Tua had showed signs of further brain trauma than any Cooks concussion has displayed. The concussion issue, combined with how many surgeries and injuries he's had to other parts of his body, keeps me from investing in him long term in a Dynasty context.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:56 am

eh, i don't know, cooks was knocked out cold a couple of times iirc, i don't know if that's worse than your legs not supporting you.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:20 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:56 am eh, i don't know, cooks was knocked out cold a couple of times iirc, i don't know if that's worse than your legs not supporting you.
Not sure if Cooks ever had posturing, certainly not as severe as Tua's, which is a sign that severe brain trauma has occurred. Being knocked unconscious (Tua may not have been conscious either), isn't good obviously, but it's not the same reason these things occur.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:34 am

dark_knite03 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 pm Thoughts on Tua being a buy right now? A rebuilding team put him on the block. I'm a bit worried about his injury issues and buying at peak.
I'd absolutely inquire on price. He's looked very good in this offense. Injuries are a risk with every player in the NFL, but I try to avoid predicting future injuries. It's a consideration, but I wouldn't completely avoid a player. Usually, the injury risk is baked into the market value anyway. It's probably the reason he's on the block in your league in the first place.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:09 pm

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:34 pm

dark_knite03 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 pm Thoughts on Tua being a buy right now? A rebuilding team put him on the block. I'm a bit worried about his injury issues and buying at peak.
I'm not buying unless the offer is good value.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:10 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:09 pm https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/160 ... rCv4MHoxoQ

Back in concussion protocol.
https://twitter.com/selfmade0602/status ... IyDAlEOjgA

This certainly fits given that his 3 INT's later in the game were borderline inexplicable as to where he was throwing.

I've been loathe to jump aboard the "he's concussion prone!" train, because at a certain point -everyone- is concussion prone in the NFL.

But yeah, I don't see how he can continue playing QB in the NFL long-term if this is the rate of brain injuries that he's going to sustain.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:18 pm

He can't play again this year, but won't surprise me if he does...

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Dude has repeatedly tried to hid his concussions this season. How long does this go back? Incredibly high risk injury guy
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:42 pm

He self reported his symptoms today, he very well may have not have reailized he suffered one at the time.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:03 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:09 pm https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/160 ... rCv4MHoxoQ

Back in concussion protocol.
3rd time this year. The posts I shared earlier this year about how that 2nd concussion really was bad one, and hurt his future outlook (based on medical opinions) is now even worse. Again, don't be surprised if Tua isn't long for NFL football. I'm not saying he's retiring this off season, but I don't expect him to be playing into his mid 30's. The hip is another reason why, as the realities of that injury were always supposed to shorten the back end of his career, but this is super concerning.
Janiel Dones Truther

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:35 pm

j4pac wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:37 pm Dude has repeatedly tried to hid his concussions this season. How long does this go back? Incredibly high risk injury guy
He may not have had them until today, that can happen. I did hear Rex Ryan, I believe it was, that said he knew/talked to some people at Bama who said he had even more surgeries than have been reported, in college. Tua's injury history is long and extensive, I won't touch him in dynasty, unless it's a significant discount. I worry about him, and his mental health in the future, with all of this. It was handled poorly from the beginning, and he will likely have lasting side affects that negatively affect his adult life.
Janiel Dones Truther

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:59 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:18 pmHe can't play again this year, but won't surprise me if he does...
++
:(

You can't play football this way but ... when I saw the GB defense getting to Tua repeatedly in the 2nd quarter, I thought that if I was Miami's coach I would sit Tua. Tua had gone to the ground twice and one looked worrisome (for Tua, not necessarily for other QBs) in the way he went down. At that point, I felt it would be better to risk losing the game with the backup than risk a Tua injury by leaving him in. At that point, it didn't seem like Miami's OLine could keep the pocket safe for Tua. Play to win another day kind of thinking. Like I said, you can't play football that way ... but.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:16 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:18 pm He can't play again this year, but won't surprise me if he does...
Yep. Just like he shouldn't have last time but would be back on the field in a month or less, or whatever it was you said last time. You've been watching football long enough to know....they don't really care that much about the players, just make sure there's a fall guy to avoid the lawsuits, hopefully is their thinking.

I just hope Tua can live a semi normal life in 20 years, because this is really serious. 3 concussions, one with heavy, heavy posturing, 3 months to the day, apart. That's just really not good, and I am not sure there is a record of a player suffering 3 in that span, or even a season, in the NFL. Maybe they did, but on record, since it's been charted, not sure I've seen it like this.

This really may affect his 2nd contract, too, the clauses will definitely be in there, anyways. I think Tua will be a player who retires before 30, if his injury history is any indication. He's had such a long list, and some serious stuff, back to college, I don't think he's cut out for pro football for a decade plus career.
Janiel Dones Truther

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:32 am

Ya, hopefully Teddy plays really well or the Dolphins are eliminated from the playoffs this week (not sure if that's even possible). If they can't make the playoffs there's no way they bring him back, and if they think Teddy is playing well they may stick with him since Tua could have performance issues due to the concussion as evidenced this week (and that's what ultimately matters to them, not his health).

If they back into the playoffs with Teddy playing poorly, or he stinks this week and Tua is "cleared" for week 18 and they have a shot at still making the playoffs then he'll be on the field. If that happened and then Tua had another massive and obvious concussion in the playoffs the league and team will come under unprecedented heat over the concussion issue, and massive changes will come over the offseason to try to save face.