Tua Tagovailoa Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Tua Tagovailoa Thread

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pm

Besides being loopy he just isn't a talented arm thrower of the ball. Slow delivery winding up more to throw downfield to compensate for lack of arm strength. Pushes the ball rather than snapping off his passes. Has to throw earlier into windows because he can't throw a laser later. The longer the ball is in the air the more likely a defender will be there too. Often the receiver is wide open initially but gets tackled when he catches the ball on mid to deep throws. Tua is good to great on short area tosses getting them the ball quick to create after catch opportunity.

While his stats early on the year were top notch and teams are afraid to get caught beat deep it seems the lg has figured out you need to press the coverage to force him to hold the ball or throw into tighter windows. Sure you're going to give up a cpl deep ones to Waddle & Tyfreak but you just hope it's not for six . On the flip side Tua has shown that he will take sacks and commit turnovers .

Healthy or not I agree with Flores that I wouldn't put my franchise in the hands of Tua long term. Tom Brady anyone ??? ( only as a bridge gap while you get a better development QB )

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:29 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pm Besides being loopy he just isn't a talented arm thrower of the ball. Slow delivery winding up more to throw downfield to compensate for lack of arm strength. Pushes the ball rather than snapping off his passes. Has to throw earlier into windows because he can't throw a laser later. The longer the ball is in the air the more likely a defender will be there too. Often the receiver is wide open initially but gets tackled when he catches the ball on mid to deep throws. Tua is good to great on short area tosses getting them the ball quick to create after catch opportunity.
Probably at least in part due to him not even being a natural lefty, his dad just basically force trained him into throwing left handed when he's actually right handed.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alaba ... ft-handed/

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:43 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pmTom Brady anyone ??? ( only as a bridge gap while you get a better development QB )
As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I swear I will switch teams forever if Tom Brady is ever signed to a contract. Even worse than Tom Brady representing the Dolphins is the Dolphins paying old washed-up TB to give us his 7-10 farewell tour.

Please. No. Just. No.

I'd prefer Bridgewater to be the bridge, or Mayfield, or even Locke. Heck, send Russ to Miami for a couple of seasons. Anyone but Brady.

Hey, how about sending two 1sts to AZ for Kyler? I'd jump at that. Or work out a trade with Baltimore for Lamar.

Just no Brady and no Rodgers.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:58 am

Sorry Ant 🐜

This is going to happen !!!

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:45 am

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pm Besides being loopy he just isn't a talented arm thrower of the ball. Slow delivery winding up more to throw downfield to compensate for lack of arm strength. Pushes the ball rather than snapping off his passes. Has to throw earlier into windows because he can't throw a laser later. The longer the ball is in the air the more likely a defender will be there too. Often the receiver is wide open initially but gets tackled when he catches the ball on mid to deep throws. Tua is good to great on short area tosses getting them the ball quick to create after catch opportunity.

While his stats early on the year were top notch and teams are afraid to get caught beat deep it seems the lg has figured out you need to press the coverage to force him to hold the ball or throw into tighter windows. Sure you're going to give up a cpl deep ones to Waddle & Tyfreak but you just hope it's not for six . On the flip side Tua has shown that he will take sacks and commit turnovers .

Healthy or not I agree with Flores that I wouldn't put my franchise in the hands of Tua long term. Tom Brady anyone ??? ( only as a bridge gap while you get a better development QB )
kudos on this post. Very spot on. My only disagreement is Brady coming to town. After losing a 1st to illegally talking to him, the NFL will make this a near impossible scenario.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:22 am

This Tua concussion situation is a mess:

[Perkins] McDaniel said the team questioned Tua Monday after noticing inconsistencies on game tape. After that questioning, they told Tua to see a professional and that's when concussion was diagnosed.

[Pelissero] The NFLPA initiated a joint review Tuesday into the application of concussion protocol with Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa.

[Louis-Jacques] McDaniel said he’s been advised by medical professionals that “it’s critical Tua worries about the day he’s in and nothing else”

[Adam Schefter] Dolphins’ HC Mike McDaniel told reporters that QB Tua Tagovailoa did, in fact, suffer a concussion Sunday. Teddy Bridgewater is in line to start Sunday at New England.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:10 am

There was a sharp divide in Miami's 1st and 2nd half offensive performance. Have the play Tua got concussed been pinned down?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:12 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:10 am There was a sharp divide in Miami's 1st and 2nd half offensive performance. Have the play Tua got concussed been pinned down?
yeah, it sure appears related based on what I am seeing
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:12 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:10 am There was a sharp divide in Miami's 1st and 2nd half offensive performance. Have the play Tua got concussed been pinned down?
Mild posted it earlier.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:58 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:12 am
Mild posted it earlier.
Thanks. Would've been awkward to get tackled face first into the ground, so understand why he twisted around.

Rotoworld said he played the entire fourth quarter concussed. Which would technically be true if the concussion occurred in the 2nd quarter, but I'd understand the statement to be implying it occurred in the 3rd.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:46 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:12 am
Mild posted it earlier.
Teams also adjust in halves quite often. Sharp divides between halves are common place. He may have been concussed on that play, but it's not uncommon for the symptoms to not show up right away. He reported them the next day. There were no symptoms to "spot" this time around. Not like the Bills game. Spotters didn't miss anything, it's just one of those things where we'll never know, but I don't believe he would have continued if he actually felt the symptoms immediately, with all the adrenaline of a game going on.

I was a huge critic of the way the Bills one was handled, but as far as I know, there were no symptoms this time around, and people had to dig back into tape to try and pin point where it "likely" occurred. I don't believe blame can be laid on anyone here. There were no symptoms reported or shown in game, and they set in the next day. Players fall to the ground, and hit their head, it happens all the time. Pretty sure nobody found the spot where it likely occurred, until after he reported symptoms, because nobody, including Tua, knew about it.

It's very unfortunate that the improper handling of the former incidents may have contributed to this concussion.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:40 pm

While prepping a reply for Cameron Giles, noticed some interesting aspects to Tua's injury history. In 2018, he hit his throwing hand on a teammate's helmet, fracturing his hand. Had surgery. In 2020, hit his left thumb on a helmet in practice, unavailable for week 12 game. In 2021, he fractured his middle finger on his throwing hand. Can't find how, but looks like it was in practice. Ignoring the college surgery, he two NFL fractures led to missed games.

Draftsharks and sportingnews give slightly different details on his ankle injuries. DS says the 2018 injury was his left ankle and the 2019 one was his right ankle. SN says they were both to his right ankle, and that he had a tightrope procedure done after both injuries to come back quickly.

Is there something about his throwing motion/mechanics that would cause him to fracture his hand on teammates' helmets multiple times? The fact he specifically had those ankle procedures to come back quickly (in one case for the College Football Playoff) suggests someone who might push to come back instead of giving his body time to heal.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:47 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:40 pmIs there something about his throwing motion/mechanics that would cause him to fracture his hand on teammates' helmets multiple times? The fact he specifically had those ankle procedures to come back quickly (in one case for the College Football Playoff) suggests someone who might push to come back instead of giving his body time to heal.
I think it's more because Tua sometimes waits till the very last second to throw. I'm a Dolphins fan and have watched him a lot. He's not the only QB who waits and waits when the defense is closing in, but it seems to me Tua takes it a split second further than other QBs. I scream at the tv for him to throw it away or drop.

Marino used to frustrate the hell out of me when he did it, but the man never took an unnecessary hit on a sack. He'd drop like a sack of potatoes as defenders closed in for the hit, hitting the ground before they could forcibly take him down. Tua just waits and waits and waits, then tries to slip out at the final micro-second. It's probably part of his DNA now and can't be changed, but he really needs to study someone like Russ. Russ almost always gets out of the pocket before the big-hit sack - Russ takes his share of sacks on the statline, but he avoids the hits. Tua's brain clock sometimes doesn't tell him when it's too late until it's beyond too late.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:18 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:43 am
cazzie33 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:12 pmTom Brady anyone ??? ( only as a bridge gap while you get a better development QB )
As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I swear I will switch teams forever if Tom Brady is ever signed to a contract. Even worse than Tom Brady representing the Dolphins is the Dolphins paying old washed-up TB to give us his 7-10 farewell tour.

Please. No. Just. No.

I'd prefer Bridgewater to be the bridge, or Mayfield, or even Locke. Heck, send Russ to Miami for a couple of seasons. Anyone but Brady.

Hey, how about sending two 1sts to AZ for Kyler? I'd jump at that. Or work out a trade with Baltimore for Lamar.

Just no Brady and no Rodgers.
I feel much the same about signing Brady as a Raiders fan.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:35 pm

Did anybody see this? I just saw it yesterday, thought I'd share.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/stat ... 4476857346
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick