Newton or Bradford?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Re: Newton or Bradford?

Postby andrewfroboy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:04 am

Newton looking pretty darn good so far against the Pack
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:22 pm

So, I'll be the first to admit that Newton's 3 INTs were a contributing factor to the Panthers losing today.

But raise your hand if you thought he'd throw for MORE yards today than last week. Yeah, that'd be absolutely no one in existance. No rookie QB will EVER, and I mean EVER throw for 400+ yards in their first two starts ever again. Ever. I don't think people realize just how improbable and ridiculous that is.

Bradford now has 17 games, 0 over 30 fantasy points, and only 1 over 20 (24). Newton how has 2 games, one at 30+, another right around exactly 30 (depending on league scoring). Bradford is a talented kid and might lead his team to success, but we're talking fantasy football.

Yeah, this question is very, very, fair to be asking.
Last edited by Water Buffalo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Cam just broke the record for most passing yards in first 2 nfl starts by 200 yards. Granted, the record he broke was Todd marinovich's, so that should perhaps give us a LITTLE pause in hyping him....

but..

I know people shouldn't over react to a small sample size. However, just like with Bradford, there is a larger body of work with Newton. Talent evaluators loved him. Personal officials loved him. He stredded the toughest conference in college football. The biggest knocks against him were that he was really inexperienced particularly behind center, and people didn't know if he'd be able to adjust ( or how quickly he'd be able to adjust) to the pro game, to getting the ball from under center.

I'll tell you something. I think these first two games OBLITERATE that worry. Newton's going to have no problem playing in the pro game. Now, if he becomes a great NFL quarterback is one thing. It will take a lot of work, some luck, and all kinds of other things. But, if he stays healthy, I don't think there's any question at all that he's going to be a great NFL quarterback. That body, that strength, that arm, that speed.

I think newton is solidly in the Stafford/Bradford/Freeman young quarterback tier. Doing that to the super bowl chammpion.. I mean, never in a million years, even after what he did in the first week, did I think he could do that. I thought if he had 200-250 against this team it would be a good day. I'm just stunned and in awe of this kid.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm

RobertBobson wrote:Cam just broke the record for most passing yards in first 2 nfl starts by 200 yards. Granted, the record he broke was Todd marinovich's, so that should perhaps give us a LITTLE pause in hyping him....

but..

I know people shouldn't over react to a small sample size. However, just like with Bradford, there is a larger body of work with Newton. Talent evaluators loved him. Personal officials loved him. He stredded the toughest conference in college football. The biggest knocks against him were that he was really inexperienced particularly behind center, and people didn't know if he'd be able to adjust ( or how quickly he'd be able to adjust) to the pro game, to getting the ball from under center.

I'll tell you something. I think these first two games OBLITERATE that worry. Newton's going to have no problem playing in the pro game. Now, if he becomes a great NFL quarterback is one thing. It will take a lot of work, some luck, and all kinds of other things. But, if he stays healthy, I don't think there's any question at all that he's going to be a great NFL quarterback. That body, that strength, that arm, that speed.

I think newton is solidly in the Stafford/Bradford/Freeman young quarterback tier. Doing that to the super bowl chammpion.. I mean, never in a million years, even after what he did in the first week, did I think he could do that. I thought if he had 200-250 against this team it would be a good day. I'm just stunned and in awe of this kid.
The only thing I can't agree with in your assessment is that he's in the stafford/bradford/freeman tier. Stafford is clearly a tier above these other guys to me, if he can remain healthy. As a Bradford owner in 1 league, I would ABSOLUTELY take Stafford straight up for him no questions asked.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Water Buffalo wrote:
RobertBobson wrote:Cam just broke the record for most passing yards in first 2 nfl starts by 200 yards. Granted, the record he broke was Todd marinovich's, so that should perhaps give us a LITTLE pause in hyping him....

but..

The only thing I can't agree with in your assessment is that he's in the stafford/bradford/freeman tier. Stafford is clearly a tier above these other guys to me, if he can remain healthy. As a Bradford owner in 1 league, I would ABSOLUTELY take Stafford straight up for him no questions asked.

That whole "if" thing is why he's in the tier with them, imo. I think he has thigh highest ceiling out of the three. But maybe not out of the 4 of them .

knuckles50
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby knuckles50 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:01 pm

This thread sure has generated alot of discussion for such a ridiculous question. Eggs are landing on many faces. :crazy: And I'm a Bradford owner!
Team 1
12 team, 1/2 ppr 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wr, 1 flex, 1 te
QBs-Brees,Luck,Bridgewater
RBs- LeVeon,Ingram,R. Freeman,Thompson,Riddick,Conner,Walton,J. Jackson,Dixon
WRs- Evans,A Rob,Parker,Hurns,Sutton,Pettis,Moncrief,Treadwell,Sanu,Tavon,Dorsett,Carroo
TEs- Gronk,Kittle,Butt

Team 2
12 team 1 qb, 2rbs,v 3wrs, 1te
Qbs- Brees,Cam,Cousins,Jackson
Rbs- Gurley,Zeke,Kamara,McCaffery,Hunt,Shady
Wrs-A. Brown,Evans,C. Davis,Watkins,Goodwin,Woods,Washington,Treadwell,Jordy
Te- Gronk,Kittle,ASJ

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't think I'd take Bradford straight up for Newton after todays game
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

Team Canada
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Team Canada » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:38 pm

andrewfroboy wrote:I don't think I'd take Bradford straight up for Newton after todays game
I might still take Bradford but Newton has done a lot to close the gap... he has impressed me and proved me wrong
Don't bet against Nightmarion...he made me look like a fool :)

10 team $250 cap, 0.5 ppr- QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, flex
QB- Brady ($18/2yrs),Ponder ($5/1yr)
RB- CJ ($25/3yrs), AP($25/2yrs), Spiller ($15/2yrs), Martin ($10/4yrs), L.James($2/4yrs)
WR- Dem Thomas ($41/1yr), Nicks ($20/3yrs), Fitzgerald ($20/2yrs), Tampa Mike ($18/2yrs), Jeffery ($6/3yrs), V.Brown($5/1yr)
TE- Graham ($15/2yrs), Brandon Myers ($1/1yr), Dennis Pitta ($1/1yr)
Picks- 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.9, 2.9

12 team ppr, QB, RB, WR, TE, 4 flexes
QB- Arod, Fitz, Gabbert
RB- Lynch, Spiller, Ridley, Hunter, Gerhart, Goodson, Benson
WR- Fitz, White, Britt, Maclin, Vjax, Little, Jean, Jenkins, Shipley, Easley, Edelman, Gettis, A.Holmes, Lockette, Morgan, R.Wallace
TE- V.Davis, Stocker, J.Thomas, DJ Williams

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Team Canada wrote:
andrewfroboy wrote:I don't think I'd take Bradford straight up for Newton after todays game
I might still take Bradford but Newton has done a lot to close the gap... he has impressed me and proved me wrong

Welcome aboard!

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Like I said...get Bradford some better weapons and maybe he might be able to live up to this hype that he is receiving.

But until then Newton>Bradford in situation, and Newton>Bradford in ability, hence Newton>Bradford in fantasy potential....and its clearly evident. Like I said the other day....Bradford only has 1 game over 300 yards passing, and 3 over 250....in 16 games. This in no way competes with the level of upside Newton has shown to have, and thats not arguable.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Two games of 400 passing is pretty amazing. Let's see what happens once defenses start taking away some of the things he can do. This is going to be interesting to follow. I love watching exciting young players. Two games is still a tiny sample size. He's proven he has the upside we always knew he had - big upside, big arm, etc. Let's see some more as DCs across the league start to work on his strengths.

Cam certainly benefits from an elite offensive line and one elite WR. Two more things than Bradford has, which are kind of important. ;)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:00 pm

One thing I wanted to add is this:

How do you think teams are playing the Panthers through the first two games? Carolina has potent rushing attack to go with that elite offensive line (though they were missing a starting OT, Jeff Otah, yesterday). Teams are defending the Panthers by making Cam beat them - NOT letting the rushing attack of the Panthers beat them. Simple, smart strategy. As Cam continues to prove he can make plays with his arm defenses are going to adjust.

Young QBs have an advantage that they don't always take advantage of this early in their careers and that is having 8, 9, and more defenders 'in the box' leaving open receivers, blown coverages, and generally making it easier to complete passes.

There were times in the past when teams would devote 2 or more players to stop Steve Smith (I know Seattle did it after the historic outing vs. the Bears in IIRC 2005). Steve Smith - even at this age - vs. single coverage is taking candy from a baby.

This is a key factor to consider with regards to the early success of Cam Newton: Cam has faced defenses DARING the team to pass the ball.

Evidence:

Week 1
RBs rushing
:
DWill: 12 carries, 30 yards, 2.5ypc, 0tds, long of 8 yards.
JStew: 7 carries, 26 yards, 3.7ypc, 0tds, long of 13 yards.

Week 2
RBs rushing
:
DWill: 5 carries, 13 yards, 2.6ypc, 0tds, long of 6yards.
JStew: 6 carries, 5 yards, 0.8ypc, 0tds, long of 5yards

So through the first two weeks the Carolina rushing totals by Running Backs - both of whom are elite rushers - is: 30 attempts, 74 yards, 2.4 YPC and 0 TDs, with a longest run of 13 yards.

This is why I say let's give it some time and see what happens. Two great games is two great games (at least great yardage-wise). Teams will adjust. How will Cam fare through an entire season? That question is still unanswered.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Misfit74 wrote:One thing I wanted to add is this:

How do you think teams are playing the Panthers through the first two games? Carolina has potent rushing attack to go with that elite offensive line (though they were missing a starting OT, Jeff Otah, yesterday). Teams are defending the Panthers by making Cam beat them - NOT letting the rushing attack of the Panthers beat them. Simple, smart strategy. As Cam continues to prove he can make plays with his arm defenses are going to adjust.
This is what I was telling Scott yesterday. Couldn't agree more. Nice post Allen.

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 pm

hosler427 wrote:

This is what I was telling Scott yesterday. Couldn't agree more. Nice post Allen.
This is a great point. But not every QB that is challenged in that regard rises up to the occasion like Newton has done. So question one "Can he do it?" has been answered - yes, without a doubt. The next question "Can he do it well?" has been answered - yes, without a doubt very well. Now the question "Can he do it well consistently?" is the one yet to be answered. There are always more questions to be asked...but if you ask me when comparing Newton to Bradford...Bradford hasnt even shown that he can be an elite fantasy QB, let alone consistently elite. All Bradford has shown is that he can consistently be an OK fantasy QB.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

standard_variance wrote:
hosler427 wrote:

This is a great point. But not every QB that is challenged in that regard rises up to the occasion like Newton has done. So question one "Can he do it?" has been answered - yes, without a doubt. The next question "Can he do it well?" has been answered - yes, without a doubt very well. Now the question "Can he do it well consistently?" is the one yet to be answered. There are always more questions to be asked...but if you ask me when comparing Newton to Bradford...Bradford hasnt even shown that he can be an elite fantasy QB, let alone consistently elite. All Bradford has shown is that he can consistently be an OK fantasy QB.
If you look at the first seasons of players like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Tom Brady, Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, Matt Stafford, etc., etc. you'll find that many, MANY if not MOST QBs didn't show the very thing you seem to expect to have already seen from Bradford - who had absolutely NOTHING around him on offense his rookie season except for a very good RB in SJax. I think we need to also give Bradford more time before we come to conclusions...