The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:22 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:29 pm Curious where people are at with Watson vs some young guys/vets, and what's the difference? (Assuming a 12 team SF league values)

Watson vs Purdy?

Watson or Fields?

Watson or Love?

Watson or Tom Bra...I mean AOC? (I had to throw that one in there) :lol: disregard

What about some older guys?

Watson vs a revived Russ?

Watson vs Cousins?

He's well below say Kyler, or Dak at this point, but those 2 vets who are/were producing, I'd be intersting to hear some takes. (Cousins injury clouds things, but he was still a top end FF QB and isn't a guy who depends on elite athleticism, so he's should have a few years of good ball left, perhaps).
Assuming you have no qualms about him being on your roster those are pretty easy decisions, imo.
Agree with these values 100%.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:55 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:13 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:29 pm Curious where people are at with Watson vs some young guys/vets, and what's the difference? (Assuming a 12 team SF league values)

Watson vs Purdy?

Watson or Fields?

Watson or Love?

Watson or Tom Bra...I mean AOC? (I had to throw that one in there) :lol: disregard

Watson vs Cousins?

He's well below say Kyler, or Dak at this point, but those 2 vets who are/were producing, I'd be intersting to hear some takes. (Cousins injury clouds things, but he was still a top end FF QB and isn't a guy who depends on elite athleticism, so he's should have a few years of good ball left, perhaps).

Thanks for the feedback.
Assuming you have no qualms about him being on your roster those are pretty easy decisions, imo.
Biggest surprise to me is Fields>Love from a few people, in the sense that they'd take Fields over Watson but not Love. IMO Fields Dynasty value is way more tenuous than Love's, right now.

I can see having Watson over the 2 vets, based on age and contracts factoring in, for sure.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:23 pm
blemly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:06 pm

Watson vs Purdy?

Watson or Fields?

Watson or Love?

Watson vs Cousins?

Fields
Purdy
Watson
Cousins
Russ
Love

In that order for me. Cousins would probably be at or maybe even above Watson but for the injury/team uncertainty this offseason.

I for one just don’t buy Russ’s revival. He’s way too conservative and still doesn’t seem the same as Russ of several years ago.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have Love a lot higher, and Fields a lot lower than you, but it's great to see what people are thinking.

On the topic of Russ, what do you think happens with him, as his contract is a bit of an albatross. Specifically on Payton and Russ, and how long it lasts.
Disclaimer: I don’t have Fields or Love on any of my 7 dynasty teams and never have.

I did not realize I was way higher on Fields and, based on this, way lower than Love. I didn’t really look at rankings for this exercise. It really comes down to liking most of what I’ve seen on the field from Fields. Love has shown flashes of competent QB play and perhaps I’m overly critical of him.

Maybe I need to put my money where my mouth is and go buy Fields.

Edit: Russ could go either way. They are winning now which may change things. Payton doesn’t seem to like Russ all that much, but it’s hard to see them moving off of him this offseason at this point and it’s just about impossible to predict beyond that. Just my 2c.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:53 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:55 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Biggest surprise to me is Fields>Love from a few people, in the sense that they'd take Fields over Watson but not Love. IMO Fields Dynasty value is way more tenuous than Love's, right now.

I can see having Watson over the 2 vets, based on age and contracts factoring in, for sure.
I agree, Fields future is very murky IMO.

Some people just look at fantasy numbers, and just don't realize that if a QB loses his job in real life due to poor performance, they can't imagine it or understand it because all they understand is fantasy performance.
If a QB loses his starting job, his fantasy numbers will drop.

They can understand Mac Jones losing his job after 3 inept years of losing games, but they can't see Fields losing his job after 3 inept years of losing games, because Fields is a better runner, so he has better fantasy numbers. :lol:

In the NFL, losing is losing, they don't give a damn about fantasy production.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:27 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:53 am I agree, Fields future is very murky IMO.

Some people just look at fantasy numbers, and just don't realize that if a QB loses his job in real life due to poor performance, they can't imagine it or understand it because all they understand is fantasy performance.

They can understand Mac Jones losing his job after 3 inept years of losing games, but they can't see Fields losing his job after 3 inept years of losing games, because Fields is a better runner, so he has better fantasy numbers. :lol:

The Mac Jones dichotomy is spot on. :thumbup:

Although, I'm sure some of it is fueled by upside. Fields is one of the more physically talented QBs in the NFL but just can't seem to put it together mentally; Whereas Mac is making mistakes when processing is the only edge he has in the NFL.

If you squint real hard you can be mesmerized by Fields' splash plays and completely ignore his 13.1% sack percentage or his career 6-26 record. :lol:

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:22 pm

For better or worse, Watson's role is secure the next few years on a good roster, so that carries value.

DTR hasn't looked good, I wouldn't be surprised to see Flacco unless that drastically changes sooner than later.

I agree I don't think he regains ever his Houston value though. He's likely a QB2 with upside going forward.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:00 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:27 pm
MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:53 am I agree, Fields future is very murky IMO.

The Mac Jones dichotomy is spot on. :thumbup:

Although, I'm sure some of it is fueled by upside. Fields is one of the more physically talented QBs in the NFL but just can't seem to put it together mentally; Whereas Mac is making mistakes when processing is the only edge he has in the NFL.

If you squint real hard you can be mesmerized by Fields' splash plays and completely ignore his 13.1% sack percentage or his career 6-26 record. :lol:
As the outlier guy here I’ll give some of my thoughts as to why I’m not overly concerned about Fields’ immediate future and why I like him.

First, I am giving him a pass for his rookie year and Nagy’s last in Chicago. And I agree that there are the sporadic eye-popping splash plays, but I think he’s improved as a passer every year in the league (59–>63% with a steady increase in YPA) with a complete dearth of talent around him. All things considered, I don’t think he wears the entire blame for that 7-27 record.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:37 pm

blemly wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:00 pm
As the outlier guy here I’ll give some of my thoughts as to why I’m not overly concerned about Fields’ immediate future and why I like him.

First, I am giving him a pass for his rookie year and Nagy’s last in Chicago. And I agree that there are the sporadic eye-popping splash plays, but I think he’s improved as a passer every year in the league (59–>63% with a steady increase in YPA) with a complete dearth of talent around him. All things considered, I don’t think he wears the entire blame for that 7-27 record.
I know people like to say that wins are not a QB stat.. but they kind of are. Even when Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers had terrible, terrible teams around them they still managed to get a minimum of 7 wins because they are fantastic at situational football.

Fields by contrast is worse when the chips are down. We saw that numerous times even this year with the best supporting cast he's ever had; during the DEN and DET game.

Lamar and Hurts were some other QBs that needed to refine themselves as passers throughout their NFL careers but the difference between them and Fields is that they played winning football and have shown the ability to win football games. Lamar often times doing it with an even worse supporting cast than Fields.

They also didn't have an all-time sack rate...

I maintain that if Fields can find a way to limit the sacks he could be a player in this league.. but this is his 3rd year as a starter and he's still being sacked at an alarming rate.

Maybe he fixes that issue and continues to improve as a passer but there's a very likely possibility he doesn't making him not a starting calibre QB in the NFL

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:40 am

Watson vs Purdy?

Watson or Fields?

Watson or Love?

Watson vs Cousins?

I see people voting, but these are just straight up preferences correct?

Basing it off value I might prefer a different choice with an added bonus on top (picks). If I can get a 2nd thrown in + Cousins? Russ + late 1st? etc...

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:47 am

I'd take Bagent over Watson
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

gpaok
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby gpaok » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:42 am

Even though he has years of a guaranteed contract (sucks for the Browns), it definitely doesn’t look like it will have the happy ending :think: the Watson owners were hoping for!
10 team Dynasty Superflex, 1 PPR, 20 + 3 IR player roster
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SFlex, Flex, DEF

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen
RB: Nick Chubb, J.K. Dobbins, Travis Etienne, Rhamondre Stevenson, Rachaad White, Khalil Herbert, Tank Bigsby, Jaylen Warren, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, Tank Bigsby
WR: Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, Calvin Ridley, Tank Dell
TE:T.J. Hockenson, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:10 am

To be a viable NFL starting QB, you have to be able to process the field quickly. Fields is as bad as I have ever seen at this. He has the physical tools, but will never succeed in my opinion.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:10 am
To be a viable NFL starting QB, you have to be able to process the field quickly. Fields is as bad as I have ever seen at this. He has the physical tools, but will never succeed in my opinion.
Totally agree. It's his downfall. If he had the mobility of Kirk Cousins, he wouldn't even be in the league.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:48 pm

Watson vs Purdy?

Watson or Fields?

Watson or Love?

Watson vs Cousins?

Purdy over Watson by about an early 2nd.
Watson over Fields by at least an early 2nd.
Watson over Love by a late 1st.
Watson even with AOC. Okay okay. Watson over AOC by an early 1st ... for now
Watson over Russ by a mid 1st
Watson running circles around Cousins in almost every situation/build, until we know where Cousins is playing in 2024.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT