The Dak Prescott Thread - Gets A New Deal

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Dak Gets A New Deal

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm

CeeDee Lamb had the same fantasy points as Amari Cooper last season. Are we sure that Cooper is still better? If the Cowboys get the same production, Cooper's contract will be a liability.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Damn, Dak got PAID. I figured he’d be back in Dallas either with a deal, or on the franchise tag. But honestly I didn’t expect him to land so sweet of a deal in this offseason. Only 4 years so he can get another big contract in. And 126 mil in guaranteed money? Wow. My biggest takeaway is that he must be coming along swimmingly in his rehab, either at or ahead of schedule.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:40 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm Damn, Dak got PAID. I figured he’d be back in Dallas either with a deal, or on the franchise tag. But honestly I didn’t expect him to land so sweet of a deal in this offseason. Only 4 years so he can get another big contract in. And 126 mil in guaranteed money? Wow. My biggest takeaway is that he must be coming along swimmingly in his rehab, either at or ahead of schedule.
I'd just like to add that his cap hit this year is much lower than it would've been on the tag. The Cowboys will be on the hook for all this money handed out eventually... I'd assume offensively that Zeke and Cooper are the most in danger of being cut/traded once the dead cap hit comes down. Doubt they can afford Gallup either after this year.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:40 pm I'd just like to add that his cap hit this year is much lower than it would've been on the tag. The Cowboys will be on the hook for all this money handed out eventually... I'd assume offensively that Zeke and Cooper are the most in danger of being cut/traded once the dead cap hit comes down. Doubt they can afford Gallup either after this year.
The massive frontloading of the bonus and the way it's structured for the 2022-24 years indicates that the Cowboys think the cap is going to be drastically higher as soon as 2022.

Makes sense. New TV deal + 17th game should fix all woes. As an aside: I think that's the first time I've seen a 95 million deadcap figure for a single season on Spotrac! Most impressive, Mr. Jones.

Funnily enough, it may come to pass that paying 22 million a year for Amari Cooper looks highly reasonable by 2023 - assuming he keeps up his pace.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 am

Jerry Jones must be terrible at poker.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 am Jerry Jones must be terrible at poker.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/136 ... 35906?s=20
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he’s proud that if it was anyone taking "advantage of him financially” he’s glad it’s Dak Prescott. Perfect way to explain it.
:lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:06 pm

mild wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:43 am Jerry Jones must be terrible at poker.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he’s proud that if it was anyone taking "advantage of him financially” he’s glad it’s Dak Prescott. Perfect way to explain it.
So Jerry has by far the most valuable franchise. Is the one that drives TV deals and the king of luxury box revenue.

Pretty sure he already knows this will look like a great deal in a year or two.

That Jerry is a smart guy he almost single handedly brought the NFL out of the dark ages for both players and owners.

He does look like he sucks at poker but thinking that may not really be the case 🤫
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:06 pm
mild wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm
So Jerry has by far the most valuable franchise. Is the one that drives TV deals and the king of luxury box revenue.

That Jerry is a smart guy he almost single handedly brought the NFL out of the dark ages for both players and owners.

He does look like he sucks at poker but thinking that may not really be the case 🤫
And Dallas will still go 8-9

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 pm

That might be enough to host a playoff game tbf unless Daniel Jones takes a leap or WFT finds a QB

That said you bring up an interesting point on the deal itself. I am not sure the Cowboys made the right decision to heavily backload the contract. They aren't winning bleep this year anyways

Could have taken the biggest hits this year and next year, used the next two drafts to rebuild the defense, be out of the Zeke deal by 2023 or so and had Jaguars level cap room to fill in the gaps with a team that can actually contend (and if needed go Saints level all in with restructures)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:19 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:16 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 pm

That might be enough to host a playoff game tbf unless Daniel Jones takes a leap or WFT finds a QB

That said you bring up an interesting point on the deal itself. I am not sure the Cowboys made the right decision to heavily backload the contract. They aren't winning bleep this year anyways

Could have taken the biggest hits this year and next year, used the next two drafts to rebuild the defense, be out of the Zeke deal by 2023 or so and had Jaguars level cap room to fill in the gaps with a team that can actually contend (and if needed go Saints level all in with restructures)
8-9 and division winners is definitely a possibility. I wouldn't count out Philly but we will see.

Them back loading Daks deal just makes cutting Amari or Zeke a definite. Unless the cap jumps massively the next 2 years

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:56 pm

What is funny is equating this deal with record. Easy to do with Dallas I guess but it's pretty ridiculous when on considers market value.

Dallas hit on Dak and got him dirt cheap as his combined contract was under 8 million prior to this mega contract.

Then Dallas signs him for 5 million under Patrick M who set the market at 45 million. Jerry paid Dak 1 million more than Watson yet his cap hit is only 22 million and change because the deal is actually 6 years due to voidable years.

Dak is the face of the franchise and a legit long term partner for Dallas just like big time QB's before him for a whole host of teams.

Wait until Allen, Lamar, and Mayfield get signed and we will see the market impact of this. Dak turned out better than Wentz and Goff so while it's easy to blast Dallas the reality is Dak was paid under market compared to Mahommes but at market compared to Watson.

Good for Dallas to lock in their stud and leader for the next 4 years at market and anyone who doesn't think he is a very good player knows absolutely nothing about this game.

Dallas was smart to do this deal rather than tag him a second time. The narrative they should have signed him last year is pretty weak given Dak's team rejected those offers.

Dallas may finish with a weak record but the smart money will make them the favorite in the division in 2021 because of one Dak Prescott not in spite of him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:31 pm

For the record, I'm not blasting Dallas for Dak. It's moreso about their long-term deals to everyone else before Dak. The Zeke one is one I definitely wouldn't have done and the Amari one is a close second.

I'm also not saying Dak is bad or that this is above market value. It's definitely on par and a low cap hit this year. What about the other years though? His deal is an average of 40M per year, so if this year's cap hit is 22M, where does the other 18M come into play?

I just think the Cowboys are still an average team, signing Dak was a necessity, it doesn't make them any bettter

For how much everyone quotes Daks stats last year, which were impressive, he was 1-3 as a starter. Beat the Falcons by 1. 2 wins if you count the Giants game they won by 3 when he got hurt. Dak may have put up record numbers, but the team around him hasn't changed much.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:56 pm What is funny is equating this deal with record. Easy to do with Dallas I guess but it's pretty ridiculous when on considers market value.

Dallas hit on Dak and got him dirt cheap as his combined contract was under 8 million prior to this mega contract.

Then Dallas signs him for 5 million under Patrick M who set the market at 45 million. Jerry paid Dak 1 million more than Watson yet his cap hit is only 22 million and change because the deal is actually 6 years due to voidable years.

Dak is the face of the franchise and a legit long term partner for Dallas just like big time QB's before him for a whole host of teams.

Wait until Allen, Lamar, and Mayfield get signed and we will see the market impact of this. Dak turned out better than Wentz and Goff so while it's easy to blast Dallas the reality is Dak was paid under market compared to Mahommes but at market compared to Watson.

Good for Dallas to lock in their stud and leader for the next 4 years at market and anyone who doesn't think he is a very good player knows absolutely nothing about this game.

Dallas was smart to do this deal rather than tag him a second time. The narrative they should have signed him last year is pretty weak given Dak's team rejected those offers.

Dallas may finish with a weak record but the smart money will make them the favorite in the division in 2021 because of one Dak Prescott not in spite of him.
Well said. Dak gets a lot of hate for simply being a Cowboy. Ive taken flak for years by Wentz fanboys who constantly bagged Dak (where are those morons now?) Some fun facts about Dak:

Since entering the NFL in 2016
QBR 69.7, 5th
Yards 18,949, 10th
TDs 131, 8th

10+ air yards
Pressure rate 35.8%, 2nd
Pass success rate 54.4%, 5th
Comp % over expected 7.3%, 4th
EPA/dropback +0.65, 3rd
Passer rating 116.0, 6th

Post routes
Success rate 65.1, 2nd
Comp % over expected +11.9%, 3rd
EPA +79.5, 1st
EPA/dropback +1.26, 2nd
Passer rating 128.1, 3rd

Morons: "But, but he only has 1 playoff win"

Both of Dak's playoff losses, the D allowed 30+ points

Other notable QBs records in the playoffs when their D allows 30+ points

Brady 2-2
Rodgers 1-5
Brees 0-3
Montana 0-3
Favre 0-7
Manning (Peyton) 2-4
Russ 0-3
Aikman 0-2
Young 0-4
Ben 0-6
Elway 1-6
Staubach 0-1
Warner 2-2
Manning (Eli) 0-1
Wentz (hahaha, get out)

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:31 pm I'm also not saying Dak is bad or that this is above market value. It's definitely on par and a low cap hit this year. What about the other years though? His deal is an average of 40M per year, so if this year's cap hit is 22M, where does the other 18M come into play?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowb ... ott-19089/

He has cap hits of

'21: $22.2M
'22: $33.2M
'23: $44.2M
'24: $47.2M
'25: $13.2M (void year)

So 2 years of low cap hits, and 2 years of what would currently be considered huge cap hits but by time we get there won't look nearly as bad because the Cap likely goes up because of TV money and there will be several QB's likely getting big contracts or eligible for them (Allen, Lamar, Baker, Kyler, Burrow, Herbert) that will surpass what Dak got. Then the 5th year is just a fake year to spread that cap hit out and cover most of that $18M gap you were asking about.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 pm So 2 years of low cap hits, and 2 years of what would currently be considered huge cap hits but by time we get there won't look nearly as bad because the Cap likely goes up because of TV money and there will be several QB's likely getting big contracts or eligible for them (Allen, Lamar, Baker, Kyler, Burrow, Herbert) that will surpass what Dak got. Then the 5th year is just a fake year to spread that cap hit out and cover most of that $18M gap you were asking about.
The true genius of this deal is that he has "no trade" and "no tag" clauses built into it. Not only did he get his 4 year contract (Dallas were trying for a legitimate 5 year deal, Dak consistently held firm on 4) when he's through with it he'll be 31, and non-taggable.

So if the cap does indeed balloon in the 3rd and 4th year like the numbers on the contract seem to suggest Jerry thinks it will - then Dak is going to be capable of an even bigger 2nd contract that will blow our minds all over again. Good for him. 8-)