Josh Allen - Time to Believe!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Josh Allen- do you believe?

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Long-time hater here, but I can definitely appreciate what he's done. Very unique player and fun to watch. He's continued to develop and improve.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm

He's an elite fantasy QB. I don't mine anyone preferring Mahomes, Lamar, Kyler, or Russ as I do too. He's right there with Watson and Dak to me. Both of those guys have rushing upside and good offenses as well.

I don't think he's a great NFL QB, however, he is doing much better this year. He had <60% completion rate last year. That's bad. He struggled on deep balls a lot and was (still is) erratic. This year through 3 games he has 71%. Now, they weren't the greatest teams, but he looks improved as a passer. He's hitting some tight windows on critical plays and is making a difference through the air. Will he continue to be that strong through the air? Maybe not, but his arm strength and rushing upside insulates him as a top half QB1.

I also like that the Bills are progressing on offense. They went out and got Diggs and pretty much everyone assumed it was bad, but it seems to have really helped Allen. Diggs is a solid WR and is definitely the best WR Allen has had to date. This may be the reason for improved completion % as well. Brown is still quick and Beasley is still a sure handed target, but it's not just those guys as the top threats now. They are good compliments but not good enough on their own. Gabriel Davis seems to have some talent as well. Add in some decent RB in Singletary and Moss and this offense should be pretty good for a while.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm

I was a huge fan of his when he was drafted thinking ultimately he may be the best QB in his class. Nothing has change other than he is developing like many thought he would.

He is a legit stud and will be for years.

Anyone that thinks otherwise at this point really needs to rethink that position. There is no fictitious completion percentage that makes certain QB's great. He has a very diverse skill set and now has the weapons around him needed to succeed.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:14 pm

He seems like a player who's love or hate will be directly proportional to how many shares the dynasty owner has or doesn't have of him.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 pm

Things I will freely admit to being wrong about:

Terry McLaurin
DK Metcalf
Josh Allen

Doesn't matter what they do from here.. I didn't see them sniffing this kind of success.

I'm chucking my predraft notions of these guys out the window and just enjoying the ride.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:14 pm He seems like a player who's love or hate will be directly proportional to how many shares the dynasty owner has or doesn't have of him.
I own zero, I think he is awesome. I think the love/hate is directly proportional to what side of the fence the person was on pre-draft. Allen, like Murray, Jones, and Herbert, had many people mock the draft pick and write him off as a bust before he even played a single snap. These people weren't even open to the possibility of him being a good QB. It seems pretty clear to me that he is very good for fantasy and real football, but I don't have to justify any bust/wasted draft pick takes from the past.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:35 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm
jordanzs wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:14 pm He seems like a player who's love or hate will be directly proportional to how many shares the dynasty owner has or doesn't have of him.
I own zero, I think he is awesome. I think the love/hate is directly proportional to what side of the fence the person was on pre-draft. Allen, like Murray, Jones, and Herbert, had many people mock the draft pick and write him off as a bust before he even played a single snap. These people weren't even open to the possibility of him being a good QB. It seems pretty clear to me that he is very good for fantasy and real football, but I don't have to justify any bust/wasted draft pick takes from the past.
ehh i dont mind admitting when im wrong (which appears to be the case here) I just hate buffalo fans lol. the most arrogant fans in the league and they root for a poverty franchise, makes no sense to me and drives me nuts. So it was fun watching them treat Allen like the 2nd coming of Jesus when he was overthrowing his receivers by 10-15 yards
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm

No player has gotten so much unnecessary and undeserved hate and people rooting for him to fail

Love that he's shutting them up and they keep moving the goal posts:

"Well it was just the Jets"

"Well it was just the Dolphins"

"Well his defense blew a 28-3 lead. HAHA that proves he's bad still--just ignore the 35 points"

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Might be starting him over Lamar next week, which guarantees the hot streak comes to an end.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm No player has gotten so much unnecessary and undeserved hate and people rooting for him to fail

Love that he's shutting them up and they keep moving the goal posts:

"Well it was just the Jets"

"Well it was just the Dolphins"

"Well his defense blew a 28-3 lead. HAHA that proves he's bad still--just ignore the 35 points"
I don't think the hate on him before this season was undeserved. He literally didn't have a 300 yard passing game in his first 2 years in the league and sported a sub 60% completion rate. He was a very flawed QB.

Major props to him and the Bills organization for getting him to where he is today, and I do think many of his haters (myself included) harshly determined an arbitrary ceiling on where his passing abilities could develop.. but I still believe there were serious questionmarks about his ability to get to this point, that were justified in previous seasons.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:27 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm
I'm pretty sure I had it Baker, Darnold, Lamar, Allen, Rosen. I was way wrong lol I disliked Allen for a while. I put on blinders his rookie season even though I knew he was putting points on the board. Knew he was a work in progress passing, but liked the upside of the offense and rushing ability. Traded for him this past offseason and feel real good about it

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm

I sadly sold Allen plus M.Brown to get Watson in the offseason, I saw little if any improvement in his mechanics and passing last year and tried to get out. Annoyingly he has seemed to have improved his passing this year, meanwhile I underestimated the dumpster that Houston is.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm

I have been consistently low on him as an NFL QB but high as a fantasy QB. I figured that being a poor NFL QB would ultimately drag him down to being a poor fantasy QB.

But...

One time is a random event.
Twice is a coincidence.
Three times is a pattern.

I believe I was wrong on Allen (and I say that as someone who owns zero shares of him).
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Mitchell ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), E Moore ('25), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $102

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Anybody who watches the games knows he’s the main reason for their successes. Very accurate, keeps plays alive, aggressive. Everything you want on top of his fantasy asset wheels.

Elite fantasy QB for as long as he plays.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm

It's probably the Jets fan in me that doesn't want to believe he's better than Darnold, but I still can't get my head around him actually being good. It's rare but not unprecedented to see such a jump in completion %. I want to see it continue over the course of the season.

All that said, I'd easily trade Darnold for him, especially in fantasy.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.