Britt (and others) NFL Discipline?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Britt (and others) NFL Discipline?

Postby tstafford » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 am

All,

Does anyone know definitively what the outcome is on whether conduct issues during the lock-out will be subject to disciplinary action? I'm sort of surprised that the season is only three weeks away and we haven't heard what will happen to the likes of Kenny Britt.

Thanks.
Tim

JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Re: Britt (and others) NFL Discipline?

Postby JohnnyFive » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:20 am

tstafford wrote:All,

Does anyone know definitively what the outcome is on whether conduct issues during the lock-out will be subject to disciplinary action? I'm sort of surprised that the season is only three weeks away and we haven't heard what will happen to the likes of Kenny Britt.

Thanks.
Tim
Ha I wish I knew the answer to this as well... I think we need to get John Clayton in the DLF forum to let us know whats up.
Keep On Rockin In The Free World

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am

I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that the NFL wasn't going to pursue punishment for players for incidents that occured during the lockout and disbanding of the player's union. Not sure how credible the source was or even if it was a report vs speculation, but I can't imagine the punishment would be very severe if any.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 am

No news is good news.

I think legally, the league would have a hard time enforcing discipline. During the lockout, the players benefits were taken away by the club and the players weren't being paid, so the players techically had no ties to the league and they didn't work for the league at the time due to the lockout. Tough to enforce a punishment against employees that weren't employee's at the time of their infractions. I haven't read to CBA (nor am I going to) to see if there is any provisions about this.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 am

MR ROURKE wrote:I think legally, the league would have a hard time enforcing discipline.
You would think...and then the NFL puts a 5 game suspension on Pryor for conduct while being a collegiate player. I expect this is their way of allowing him into the supplemental draft this season and this is the concession for that rather than make him wait the full year. Still, the NFLPA can't be happy about this.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 am

skip wrote:
MR ROURKE wrote:I think legally, the league would have a hard time enforcing discipline.
You would think...and then the NFL puts a 5 game suspension on Pryor for conduct while being a collegiate player. I expect this is their way of allowing him into the supplemental draft this season and this is the concession for that rather than make him wait the full year. Still, the NFLPA can't be happy about this.
From what I just heard in an interview with Prior's agent (Rosenhaus), D.Smith had a ton to do with getting Prior into the draft and that Prior likely wouldn't have been in if not for D.Smith. Since D.Smith of the players union head was so involved, I'm guessing that it was a concession that all parties had imput in and agree to.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Thursday that discipline for Kenny Britt, who was arrested three times over the offseason, is "pending."

Britt said last week that he had not yet heard from the league but was expecting to shortly. While none of his infractions have been serious in nature, Britt could face an early-season suspension as a repeat offender. His status for Week 1 may well be up in the air into September, as the NFLPA could appeal all discipline handed down for incidents that occurred during the lockout. Rotoworld

Nothing definitive, but at least we now know they're talking about it...

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 pm

I am a britt owner and I really hope he's suspended for a few games.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm

seahawks506 wrote:I am a britt owner and I really hope he's suspended for a few games.
Yea... I own him in several leagues. I kinda hope he's suspended now and hopefully learns his lessen, which will save me from having to worry about this in the future.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:59 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:
seahawks506 wrote:I am a britt owner and I really hope he's suspended for a few games.
Yea... I own him in several leagues. I kinda hope he's suspended now and hopefully learns his lessen, which will save me from having to worry about this in the future.
Here's to praying... :silent:
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

Madtoker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madtoker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I imagine it would be a team suspension wouldn't it not a league one?

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Here are the two updates I have gotten recently on Yahoo:
Aug 14.
WR Kenny Britt knows his offseason behavior has him in the crosshairs of the league office after three arrests. But Britt is still hoping to avoid a suspension, even if it is on a technicality that the lockout meant he was not a Titans employee at the time of his indiscretions. "I don't believe it should be a suspension. Maybe it's gonna be a suspension but I'm hoping not. I'll do anything necessary to stay with the team throughout the whole season," Britt said. "Right now, we don't know if it is, so I'm not gonna second guess myself with what I'm saying. I just hope they don't suspend me and after that, we'll never know until that day comes."

Aug 16.
The Titans have been very cautious with Britt since the start of training camp because he reported with a right hamstring he hurt working on his own in New Jersey in late July. That's the same hamstring Britt hurt last season, knocking him essentially out of five games.

Advice: Coach Mike Munchak said the Titans will need a healthy Britt to win the AFC South. That's why the focus is on making sure Britt's fully healthy by the season opener at Jacksonville on Sept. 11. "He looks pretty special to me, but I think he has another gear too,'' Munchak said of Britt.

Aug 18.
Britt (hamstring) will not practice again until Monday at the earliest, the Tennessean reports.

Recommendation: Britt said he went too hard in Wednesday's practice which brought on soreness Thursday. The Titans want him healthy for the season and will take it easy with him during the preseason. Britt will not play Saturday.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:27 pm

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has told Britt (hamstring/quad) and the Titans that he will not punish the receiver for his arrests during the lockout, the Associated Press reports.
Spin:
Britt might have gotten a bit of a break here because of his timing for getting in trouble, but you can bet the next time he ends up in Commissioner Goodell's office it won't be all handshakes and hugs. That said, once Britt is past his hamstring/quad injury you can probably bump him up a bit on your cheatsheets, as he now has the chance to play a full slate with a new veteran quarterback in Matt Hasselbeck.
[Breaking News]
Sat, Aug 27