Jordan Love

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Jordan Love

Postby gmoftheyear » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 pm

What are your opinions on Jordan Love's long term outlook. Interested to see where people stand on him.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jordan Love

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Huge fan personally

Rocket arm but he has actual arm TALENT not just strength
The touch and accuracy he shows is incredible

All with decent mobility and athleticism

Like I have said before: I can give a QB somewhat of a pass on college production when they play with such awful talent

The decision making and mechanics are atrocious but that to me is one of the easier things to fix than the ability to progress through reads, and put touch on the ball

Now he gets a gold standard organization that is the model of stability at QB

He will have to put in work but he has everything to be special. Just wish we could see him in preseason rather than having to wait 2 years (hopefully 1 though)

My (admittedly distant) QB3 behind Tua and ahead of Hurts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Great arm, but he is not a good decision maker IMO. Not sure that can be fixed. Didn't work with Winston. I am not sure how much in game decision making can be coached out. The best coaches can do is prepare a player, but once he's in that situation, it's all on him, and I'm not sure decision making will ever be a strength of Love. It is currently a glaring weakness. Was my big concern for Russell coming out. Russell didn't care about Football, once he got money, which didn't help, but I really have reservations about QB's coming into the league who are poor decision makers.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm Huge fan personally

Rocket arm but he has actual arm TALENT not just strength
The touch and accuracy he shows is incredible

All with decent mobility and athleticism

Like I have said before: I can give a QB somewhat of a pass on college production when they play with such awful talent

The decision making and mechanics are atrocious but that to me is one of the easier things to fix than the ability to progress through reads, and put touch on the ball

Now he gets a gold standard organization that is the model of stability at QB

He will have to put in work but he has everything to be special. Just wish we could see him in preseason rather than having to wait 2 years (hopefully 1 though)

My (admittedly distant) QB3 behind Tua and ahead of Hurts
Touched on a lot of the reasons I like Love.

I'd like to add that his in game processing ability is pretty special and is a big reason I have faith he can fix his poor decision making. His arm talent, mobility, and processing speed are top tier QB talents but he's currently being held back by poor decision making and mechanical lapses.

I wouldn't say fixing bad decision making is easy; otherwise Jameis Winston would've been a franchise QB by now but Love has the opportunity to learn behind a fantastic former QB coach in LaFleur and the GOAT in Aaron Rodgers. Everything he needs to succeed is there for him, so if he fails there will be no excuses.

He isn't likely to hit his ceiling, but his upside is literally Patrick Mahomes and he comes into the NFL in a similarly great situation for him to develop, sitting behind an established starter for at least the first year in combination with a great developmental QB HC.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:46 pm

Entered this thread expecting to see a lot of love hate, but seeing a lot of the reasons I love him. Could be multiple years until we get to see him starting, but given his situation and the luxury of time to develop, I think this is just about his best possible outcome of hitting his ceiling.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:34 pm Great arm, but he is not a good decision maker IMO. Not sure that can be fixed. Didn't work with Winston. I am not sure how much in game decision making can be coached out. The best coaches can do is prepare a player, but once he's in that situation, it's all on him, and I'm not sure decision making will ever be a strength of Love. It is currently a glaring weakness. Was my big concern for Russell coming out. Russell didn't care about Football, once he got money, which didn't help, but I really have reservations about QB's coming into the league who are poor decision makers.
I get decision making isn't easy to fix and this may be a vague talking point but for me the difference (and reason I knew Winston+Russell were going to stay bad decision makers) was that they are bad decision makers in all facets of their life. Russell in particular never showed the work ethic to improve and Winston's issues are well documented (whether guilty or not he made a lot of poor choices0

Conversely players like Mahomes (not a ton of INTs in college because Big 12 defense but lots of risky throws), Matt Ryan (31-19 TD-INT his senior year on a better team than Utah State) and Ryan Tannehill (29-15 TD-INT senior year and even in Miami INTs was something he was getting under control) could and did improve.

Sometimes you still see bad decision making from them: Mahomes more in 2018 (one play against the Patriots on Sunday night comes to mind and a couple against the Rams in the MNF game), Matt Ryan in plays like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pp-N9fLzfQ, Tannehill in that pick against the Patriots in the Wild Card game, etc but all have it under control at the least

Have to say though Lafleur is not Holmgren or McCarthy in the QB development department yet. How much of Goff's improvement was him vs McVay we don't know, but the Packers organization being invested in him is enough to convince me it can at least be mitigated

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:24 am

Good buy in SF leagues during the season I imagine if your willing to wait for that 2022 value spike
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am

I'm a huge fan and he's the best value in SF right now.

Easily has the best arm talent in the draft class, routinely making jaw dropping throws. He's not a Josh Allen type (which I think he's lazily portrayed as) with scattershot accuracy and fastball only thrower. His accuracy is precise at all levels and he can manipulate his velocity and throw with touch. Really mobile QB with the ability to evade pressure, escape the pocket, and keep his eyes downfield. Some of his throws on the run really are reminiscent of Patrick Mahomes or Carson Wentz. The issue with Love is simply decision making - locking onto his first read or trusting his arm too much. However, you look at his 2018 season and the volume of those bad decisions is not there. In 2019, Love not only lost his coaching staff but his main offensive weapons as well. Considering his elite traits, I'll gladly bet that Love can return to his 2018 form.

I'm fine with the landing spot as well. Sitting for 1 or 2 seasons should be beneficial for him and GB has shown itself to be a really good organization as well, especially for developing QBs. His value should be really insulated as each year he comes closer to eventually taking over the starting gig.

Here are some examples of incredible throws by Love, which no other QB in this draft class and only a few other QBs in the NFL are capable of making:

https://giphy.com/gifs/KeKkJrWyxH4bHjaMEV

https://giphy.com/gifs/Kx7wyV9pwch2E3SJFm

https://giphy.com/gifs/ghNk4xjxfQyzz4FbE1

https://giphy.com/gifs/j4rKBJ31NbbVA3816T
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Ioverpayforrookies
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Ioverpayforrookies » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am I'm a huge fan and he's the best value in SF right now.

Easily has the best arm talent in the draft class, routinely making jaw dropping throws. He's not a Josh Allen type (which I think he's lazily portrayed as) with scattershot accuracy and fastball only thrower. His accuracy is precise at all levels and he can manipulate his velocity and throw with touch. Really mobile QB with the ability to evade pressure, escape the pocket, and keep his eyes downfield. Some of his throws on the run really are reminiscent of Patrick Mahomes or Carson Wentz. The issue with Love is simply decision making - locking onto his first read or trusting his arm too much. However, you look at his 2018 season and the volume of those bad decisions is not there. In 2019, Love not only lost his coaching staff but his main offensive weapons as well. Considering his elite traits, I'll gladly bet that Love can return to his 2018 form.

I'm fine with the landing spot as well. Sitting for 1 or 2 seasons should be beneficial for him and GB has shown itself to be a really good organization as well, especially for developing QBs. His value should be really insulated as each year he comes closer to eventually taking over the starting gig.

Here are some examples of incredible throws by Love, which no other QB in this draft class and only a few other QBs in the NFL are capable of making:

Omg that 3rd throw.... :shock:
Team 1:
10 team, .5 ppr, 30 man roster - 2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 W/R Flex
QB: Brees, Cousins,Winston, Foles, Finley
WR: Julio, Hilton, Edelman Woods, Landry, M. Williams, A. Robinson, Harmon, Meyers, Butler
RB: Gurley, D. Cook, Mack Lindsay, Mixon, Hines, Jon. Williams
TE: Hooper, Everett, Eifert, Irv, I. Thomas

Team 2:
10 team, .5 ppr, 45 man roster, 1QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE 1 W/R/T flex, 1 SF, 1 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S, 1 DEF Flex
QB:Brady, Darnold Goff, Foles, Finley
WR: Godwin, Edelman, Kirk, Hilton, Landry, J. Brown A. Miller, MVS, Cobb, AB, Harmon
RB:Gurley, D. Freeman, A. Jones Sanders, Jon. Williams, L. Miller, Ajayi, K. Hunt
TE:Waller, Rudolph Graham, Fells
DT:Phillips
DE:Campbell, R. Quinnp
LB:Leonard, Deion Jones, Barrett, R. Evans/b]
CB:L. Ryan, Jenkins
S:D. James, Simmonsr

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm

I like Love’s skill set, but given that this is a draft that could have provided Rodgers enough talent for another run or two at a title, Gutekunst may have defined his tenure in GB - for better or worse - with this one pick. That takes some serious stones.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm I like Love’s skill set, but given that this is a draft that could have provided Rodgers enough talent for another run or two at a title, Gutekunst may have defined his tenure in GB - for better or worse - with this one pick. That takes some serious stones.
The draft isn’t the place to find immediate help. Taking a rookie and placing the expectations that they will plug a roster hole is poor process. It’s not good for the culture of the organization and it’s not good for the development of the kid.

I think the Packers had a great draft. They can still improve on last year’s team, and they now have elite upside post-Rodgers.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:28 am

Ioverpayforrookies wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am I'm a huge fan and he's the best value in SF right now.

Omg that 3rd throw.... :shock:
He'll make jaw dropping throws, then miss a RB wide open in the flat multiple times in the same game. He shows extremely poor decision making on a much too consistent level for me. The odd jaw dropping throw doesn't make a good QB. Maybe he can put it all together, but the throws I saw Burrow make consistently were like no other QB in this class or any other class recently. I admire the odd highlight throw by Love, but he's a mess overall, and will take a great deal of time overall. I have little confidence in Lafleur to cultivate and develop him.

The idea that the Packers had a great draft as someone stated above is delusional, IMO. Dillon was terrible value as was there 3rd round pick. We'll see how Love pans out, ultimately he will make or break this draft, but the 2nd and 3rd round picks were just not good value picks, regardless if you ask me.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 am

PR0v3 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm I like Love’s skill set, but given that this is a draft that could have provided Rodgers enough talent for another run or two at a title, Gutekunst may have defined his tenure in GB - for better or worse - with this one pick. That takes some serious stones.
The draft isn’t the place to find immediate help. Taking a rookie and placing the expectations that they will plug a roster hole is poor process. It’s not good for the culture of the organization and it’s not good for the development of the kid.

I think the Packers had a great draft. They can still improve on last year’s team, and they now have elite upside post-Rodgers.
Except that is the reality of the NFL now, with the value of rookie contracts players need to contribute early. There are many rookies each year who make significant contributions to their teams immediately.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:52 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 am

Except that is the reality of the NFL now, with the value of rookie contracts players need to contribute early. There are many rookies each year who make significant contributions to their teams immediately.
Correct. It changed significantly when the NFL changed the structure of rookie deals. Jamarcus Russell getting a record deal before playing a down was a different era. That's why Sam Bradford is rich beyond belief. Those days are gone. Getting early production gives a significant edge to teams, especially at QB in the new way of paying players. It doesn't mean you can't develop guys the old way, but it does mean you are losing significant value on that pick. If Love turns out to be a really good/Elite QB, it will be worth it, but if he doesn't, it was a terrible pick.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janiel Dones Truther

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:54 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 am

I think there is a middle ground to be had here

Love was a fine pick IMO. He went right around where he was expected to; and beyond that, if you see someone who you think is your answer at QB for 10 years, you take him--because no guarantee you find someone like that every year

But: Dillon was a reach. Fine pick with Jones's impending FA and the power running team the Packers want to apparently be--after all the Ravens had the same idea with Dobbins--but Dillon was still a reach and a WR here could have helped a lot

Deguara was an awful pick. A bleep fullback before a WR!!!