Inherited SF Team and Need HELP!!!

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
MrsJ
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Inherited SF Team and Need HELP!!!

Postby MrsJ » Mon May 04, 2020 8:50 am

This is my first time playing in a 12 team SF Dynasty League and looks like I have some work to do with the roster. I do have 9! picks this year including 1.1, 1.11, 1.12, 2.1, 2.12, 3.1, 3.12, 4.1, 4.12 . While that is a lot, we do limit our rosters to 24 and I am already at that. I am running into the issue of teams possibly overvaluing all players and trades in the past included Hopkins for 4 1st round players (maybe not that crazy?)

QBs: Cousins, Fitzpatrick, T. Taylor, T. Hill, Flacco
RB: Mark Ingram, D. Harris(NE), Darrel Williams, Hilliard(Cle), Crowell, Riddick
WR: Gallup, AJ Green, TY Hilton, E. Sanders, Slayton, J. Hurd, D Robinson, P. Williams(Mia), A. Wilson
TE: Goedert, Gesicki, Dissly, Rudolph

Burrow would have to be my pick at 1, but 11, 12 and 13 put me at a tough spot to land a solid RB, so how do I address my QB and RB issues? Ideas on pre-draft trades/drops to compensate for number of picks?

Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and glad to join such a valuable site for this type of league!
12 Team SF PPR w/ TE 1.5, 24 player roster: 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (8 total)
QB: Burrow, Cousins, Lance, Fitzpatrick, T. Taylor, Haskins
RB: A. Gibson, D. Harris, Carter, Mark Ingram, Kerryon, A. McFarland, Dallas
WR: DJ Moore, Chase, E. Moore, Gallup, TY, E. Sanders, Slayton, Reagor, Edwards, G. Davis
TE: Goedert, Gesicki

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Inherited SF Team and Need HELP!!!

Postby joeya2001 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:15 pm

well for starters Cut Riddick, Crowell, Hilliard, Albert Wilson, Darrell, Dissley and maybe Rudolph

next yes draft Burrow, you need 2 good QB's.

Start being a GM, maybe see if you can move up somewhere and package a few picks.

I would take BPA with each pick

you don't really have an alpha player on your roster so you may not get any bites for what you currently have.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

UkColt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Inherited SF Team and Need HELP!!!

Postby UkColt » Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 am

This is where sober roster analysis is important, and behaving like a GM. The question you need to ask is 'Can I compete this year?'

If it were my team, I'm look at doing the following on the basis I don't think I can compete this year. No RB depth, no clear WR1, only two clear QBs (assuming you take Burrow). That's just my assessment, another person (i.e. you!) might make a different one and pursue an entirely different plan!

Pre-Draft

Cut Riddick, Crowell, Hilliard - They are roster cloggers who won't ever contribute for you. I'd hold the others until the draft, but be open to cutting Rudolph, Robinson, Hurd, Williams and Wilson. I'd keep Dissly, he was a good player before his injury.

Trade Ingram - This is likely his last year in Baltimore and probably the last year you'll get decent trade value. Any points he wins for you are essentially wasted, so if you can cash in you should. Find the team with a need at RB but an otherwise competitive roster and try to work a trade. Can you package Ingram + 1.11 + 3.01 to move up to 1.06, for example?

I'd put Green, Hilton and Sanders on the trade block and see what offers came in.

Draft

You have alot of draft capital, and if you use it all then you're going to have to cut upside players to accommodate them, so I'd be looking to package picks to move up.

1.01 - Burrow

1.06 - Swift

1.12/2.01 - Whoever you like from the WR tier. I love Mims and Pittman, but Ruggs/Reagor/Higgins all fit in here. In some drafts I've seen Akers make it here, and Lamb made it all the way in one as well. Just basically take BPA.

I'd package the rest of the picks to move up and grab players you like. Move up from the 2.12 into the mid 2nd to grab AJ Dillon or Zach Moss, for example.

Post-Draft
Speak to whoever drafts Tua and Herbert to gauge their interest in Fitz and Taylor. They might throw you a future pick for them. If not, they're QBs to hold and trade mid-season if someone finds themselves in need.

That's just one plan, but the point is making an honest assessment of where your roster is and not being afraid to make moves. It's easy to sit where you are and let the draft come to you, but part of being a dynasty team owner is that you're the GM. You get to do what you want, so commit to a plan and follow it through. If you think you can win this year, package up those late 1sts and keep Ingram, package some younger upside WRs for someone more consistent.

And most importantly, have fun and good luck!
Superflex, PPR. Start 1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR & 1-2TE

QB: Watson, Herbert, Lance, Bridgewater, Minshew
RB: McCaffrey, Ekeler, Hines, Fournette, Hyde, J Williams,
WR: Diggs, Lamb, Hilton, Mims, Crowder, Reynolds, G Davis, Washington, Watkins
TE: Kittle, Hooper