Cam Akers Official Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Re: Cam Akers Official Thread

Postby Dibbles » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:54 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:35 pm Even if he did take over 60% if the snaps from Mattison, I don't really care. That OL is bad at run blocking and their offense goes through their stud receivers
This exactly

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:46 pm

So, are we really that sure at this point the medical stuff is really that more advanced? It seems to me players can return QUICKER, perhaps, but are they fully healed, to the level of pre-iury? Are they really the same player?

J-Rob, Akers......people were using their early returns as evidence that achilles aren't the big deal they used to be. They had a few decent/good game, in between a lot of bad ones.

Foreman has stuck around, but he was on a much higher trajectory as a young 20's 3rd round pick, when he tore his.

I don't see Akers, J-Rob, as huge achilles success stories, where we can now say the achilles tear isn't a big deal to a RB. Both players had higher trajectories pre-injury, than post injury. If anything, this further proves achilles injuries are a really bad thing for RB's, now that we've seen RB's with some draft capital, OR a really good NFL season, have their careers go off the rails post injury.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:46 pm So, are we really that sure at this point the medical stuff is really that more advanced? It seems to me players can return QUICKER, perhaps, but are they fully healed, to the level of pre-iury? Are they really the same player?

J-Rob, Akers......people were using their early returns as evidence that achilles aren't the big deal they used to be. They had a few decent/good game, in between a lot of bad ones.

Foreman has stuck around, but he was on a much higher trajectory as a young 20's 3rd round pick, when he tore his.

I don't see Akers, J-Rob, as huge achilles success stories, where we can now say the achilles tear isn't a big deal to a RB. Both players had higher trajectories pre-injury, than post injury. If anything, this further proves achilles injuries are a really bad thing for RB's, now that we've seen RB's with some draft capital, OR a really good NFL season, have their careers go off the rails post injury.
I believe at this point J-Rob, Akers and to a lesser degree Foreman have given us more data against RBs making successful recoveries from the Achilles injuries.

We're still working off extremely low sample sizes but we just gained almost 50% more cases of RBs with that injury not being effective upon return... which means at this point we'd be pretty fool hardy to not treat future RB Achilles ruptures with an immense amount of pessimism.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:05 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:46 pm So, are we really that sure at this point the medical stuff is really that more advanced? It seems to me players can return QUICKER, perhaps, but are they fully healed, to the level of pre-iury? Are they really the same player?

We can also add Marlon Mack.

It's true that it's evolved. However, it's still arguably the most dreaded injury a RB can have. Listen to the way former players talk about the surgery and the rehab. One described it as basically "learning how to walk again" and retired because of it. You just don't have that same explosion and may never be able to trust that foot the way you used to.

The sample size won't be tremendous for a long time, but there is clear and direct correlation for it abbreviating careers and diminishing production.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am

JK Dobbins won't be a mystery, but may as well add him to the RB Achilles tear-list

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:17 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:49 pm

I believe at this point J-Rob, Akers and to a lesser degree Foreman have given us more data against RBs making successful recoveries from the Achilles injuries.

We're still working off extremely low sample sizes but we just gained almost 50% more cases of RBs with that injury not being effective upon return... which means at this point we'd be pretty fool hardy to not treat future RB Achilles ruptures with an immense amount of pessimism.
Foreman injured his achilles in November 2017. Came back for 7 carries in week 16 of 2018 (and looked done). Took all of 2019 off. Came back in 2020 and got 22 carries before getting benched. Finally, in 2021 he started to show signs of life. So, if a back has four years of career left, maybe he can fully recover and get back to producing.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:11 am

Why do you think Foreman was, "On a much higher trajectory as a 3rd round pick", when Akers was a 2nd round pick and was performing well when he had his achilles injury?
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:01 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am JK Dobbins won't be a mystery, but may as well add him to the RB Achilles tear-list
Just so we're keeping count, this is the full list of RBs who've torn their achilles in the last 13 years:

Andre Brown (2010) - 85 touches in comeback year (2012), out the league in 2013
Kendall Hunter (2012) - 80 touches in comeback year (2013), out the league in 2015
Mikel LeShoure (2013)** - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Beanie Wells (2013)* - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Vick Ballard (2014) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Arian Foster (2016) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Branden Oliver (2016) - 41 touches in comeback year (2017), never played in the NFL after
Isaiah Crowell (2018) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
D'Onta Foreman (2018)*** - 23 touches in comeback year, still active
Marlon Mack (2020) - 30 touches in comeback year (2021), tore left achilles in 2023
James Robinson (2021) - 121 touches in comeback year (2022), currently out the league
Cam Akers (2021)** - 201 touches in comeback year (2022), traded for a 2026 late round pick swap
JK Dobbins (2023)** - ???

* = 1st round draft pick
** = 2nd round draft pick
*** = 3rd round draft pick

There just might be a pretty consistent trend here.

To date, our best outcome is a journeyman RB who was a healthy scratch as of Week 2.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:31 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:01 am
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am JK Dobbins won't be a mystery, but may as well add him to the RB Achilles tear-list
Just so we're keeping count, this is the full list of RBs who've torn their achilles in the last 13 years:

Andre Brown (2010) - 85 touches in comeback year (2012), out the league in 2013
Kendall Hunter (2012) - 80 touches in comeback year (2013), out the league in 2015
Mikel LeShoure (2013)** - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Beanie Wells (2013)* - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Vick Ballard (2014) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Arian Foster (2016) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
Branden Oliver (2016) - 41 touches in comeback year (2017), never played in the NFL after
Isaiah Crowell (2018) - 0 touches in comeback year, never played in the NFL after
D'Onta Foreman (2018)*** - 23 touches in comeback year, still active
Marlon Mack (2020) - 30 touches in comeback year (2021), tore left achilles in 2023
James Robinson (2021) - 121 touches in comeback year (2022), currently out the league
Cam Akers (2021)** - 201 touches in comeback year (2022), traded for a 2026 late round pick swap
JK Dobbins (2023)** - ???

* = 1st round draft pick
** = 2nd round draft pick
*** = 3rd round draft pick

There just might be a pretty consistent trend here.

To date, our best outcome is a journeyman RB who was a healthy scratch as of Week 2.
point taken, but your foster data is incorrect
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:33 am

Payton34 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:11 am

Why do you think Foreman was, "On a much higher trajectory as a 3rd round pick", when Akers was a 2nd round pick and was performing well when he had his achilles injury?
Sorry, he was on a much higher trajectory for his own career, prior to injury. Was comparing Foreman's pre injury career trajectory, to his post injury, not to the other players I referenced. Apologies if I wasn't clear there.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:47 am

81- wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:31 am
point taken, but your foster data is incorrect
Oops. 30 touches. Retired mid season

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:53 am

I know this thread is full of people who don’t own Akers and hate Akers, but as a person who does like Akers and owns Akers he won me several championships last year. He played well both in fantasy and real life. One game with a bad ypc on a team that hates his guts and now he’s terrible. Idk how well he’s going to do going forward but he played well last season. This “Akers is bad and always was bad” narrative is false imo.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:53 am I know this thread is full of people who don’t own Akers and hate Akers, but as a person who does like Akers and owns Akers he won me several championships last year. He played well. One game with a bad ypc on a team that hates his guts and now he’s terrible. Idk how well he’s going to do going forward but he played well last season. This “Akers is bad and always was bad” narrative is false imo.
Cam and his 700 yards won you a league last year? I gotta look this up.

OK maybe it's because you started him in the playoffs, because before that he was barely a flex play, if that. He didn't do much of anything until about week 13 on. For most people, he was useless all season long.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (39.93 KiB) Viewed 536 times
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:07 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:53 am I know this thread is full of people who don’t own Akers and hate Akers, but as a person who does like Akers and owns Akers he won me several championships last year. He played well. One game with a bad ypc on a team that hates his guts and now he’s terrible. Idk how well he’s going to do going forward but he played well last season. This “Akers is bad and always was bad” narrative is false imo.
Cam and his 700 yards won you a league last year? I gotta look this up.

OK maybe it's because you started him in the playoffs, because before that he was barely a flex play, if that. He didn't do much of anything until about week 13 on. For most people, he was useless all season long.

Capture.PNG
He was a starter for 2 of the 6 champions of the leagues I am in as well. He had a crappy season, but weeks 16-18 he did well. Absolutely won people their playoff matchups.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:37 am

Rashaad Penny helped me win a championship too once upon a time