Cam Akers Official Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Cam Akers Official Thread

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Glad he got a change of scenery. Rams should have never rushed him back from the Achilles.

Akers was good in pass pro and had excellent hands in college. Hopefully a new coaching staff can unlock that part of his game in the NFL.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Two Cents wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:51 amIf I was a betting man, I would bet that by seasons end this will be Akers' backfield. This feels like a Fournette/Bucs type of arc. With this being Cousins' final year in Minneapolis potentially, I believe the Vikings have clearly determined that 2 games was all they needed to assess whether or not Mattison was the RB that could help get them over the top. Cam Akers has been that guy already. If Mattison was the guy, they wouldn't need someone with this level of pedigree. They could have signed someone like Kareem Hunt or Trey Sermon, or traded for someone non-threatening like the Browns did with Pierre Strong. Point being this was a major acquisition and I don't think it should be taken lightly.
I agree 100%.

This isn't about Akers coming in and being a Saquon-level talent. This is a 1:1 comparison and Minny's staff realizes Mattison has cement cleats on his feet. The guy is a plodder. Akers doesn't have to be an all pro to make Minnesota better -- he just has to be better than Mattison. I am far from an Akers truther, but I have no doubt Akers is better than Mattison.

I think the big problem in LA was Akers didn't get along with the coaching staff. Doesn't matter whose fault or what it was about, but there is definitely some bad blood there. Some people, once they don't like someone, just can't get over it and work with the other person. Looking at how things slow-roll fell apart in LA, it seems that was the case.

Who knows if the new start will make a long term start of Akers? I don't. But I'd bet that Akers is the starting RB in Minny soon.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:35 pm

Even if he did take over 60% if the snaps from Mattison, I don't really care. That OL is bad at run blocking and their offense goes through their stud receivers

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:40 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:31 am The Vikings didn't just trade a 6th round pick. They swapped a 6th round pick for a 7th round pick that's three years out. This wasn't a situation of the Vikings being smart and pulling some heist on the Rams. This was a situation of both teams agreeing that a player has no value around the league.

This isn't a swing for any sort of fence. A swing implies some sort of risk as if you gave up something significant for a desired outcome. The Vikings practically gave up nothing. There's no meaningful difference between the career odds of a 6th round pick to a 7th round pick, especially for picks that are three years away lol.

Akers will certainly play, but the Vikings investment is not necessarily one of having vested interest in seeing hm succeed at a high level.
Hilarious addendum to this post: according to vikesinsider...
Update on the Cam Akers trade: in order for the 2026 late round pick-swap to go through, Akers must total 500+ scrimmage yards.
So if he doesn't perform, then the Vikings -did- actually just get Cam Akers for free. :lol:

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:03 pm

I am really at a loss anybody still sees Akers as somebody that can add value in a substantial way. He is depth and a "why not give it a try?" acquisition
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:04 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:03 pm I am really at a loss anybody still sees Akers as somebody that can add value in a substantial way. He is depth and a "why not give it a try?" acquisition
Sunk Cost. Delusion, maybe

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:12 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:03 pmI am really at a loss anybody still sees Akers as somebody that can add value in a substantial way. He is depth and a "why not give it a try?" acquisition
If you're talking real NFL and not fantasy, I would say a team would give it a try if their starting RB was Mattison. That makes perfect sense to me. :lol:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:16 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:04 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:03 pm I am really at a loss anybody still sees Akers as somebody that can add value in a substantial way. He is depth and a "why not give it a try?" acquisition
He's a guy with warts and is probably not even a lock to make the roster... but Mattison has been disappointing and if he gets hurt his competition is Ty Chandler and a toasted Myles Gaskin. At this point all he really has going for him is his situation as he finds himself in an explosive offense with limited RB talent.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:06 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:16 pm
He's a guy with warts and is probably not even a lock to make the roster... but Mattison has been disappointing and if he gets hurt his competition is Ty Chandler and a toasted Myles Gaskin. At this point all he really has going for him is his situation as he finds himself in an explosive offense with limited RB talent.
Compared to the Rams where his competition was a 5th round RB, "Ronnie Rivers" and Zach Evans.

I don't know. It seems like the Rams tee'd up a featured RB role for him all offseason and he completely fumbled it. Maybe a trade is the kick in the bleep he needed, or he may just not be what he could've been.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:24 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:06 pm

Compared to the Rams where his competition was a 5th round RB, "Ronnie Rivers" and Zach Evans.

I don't know. It seems like the Rams tee'd up a featured RB role for him all offseason and he completely fumbled it. Maybe a trade is the kick in the bleep he needed, or he may just not be what he could've been.
It is what it is.. nobody likes what they've gotten from him post Achilles but moving away from a team who's deactivated him is definitely a plus.

Two Cents
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Two Cents » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:50 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:24 pm

It is what it is.. nobody likes what they've gotten from him post Achilles but moving away from a team who's deactivated him is definitely a plus.
Im not saying Cam Akers will be the 2nd coming of Marshawn Lynch....but I think with some motivation he could definitely be a poor mans version. The silver lining in all of this would be that if he plays well on this arc with a new team he would be more likely to get a 2nd contract which could then potentially give him a second wind of value that could sustain him through his prime years (age 25-28). I think investing in Akers now for cheap could reap as big of a reward as a 2nd tier RB prospect in a rookie draft could get you.
¢¢

12 team SF TEP
STARTERS | BENCH
QB (1) Mayfield, Mac Jones, Garrapollo, Darnold, Dobbs
RB (2) Kyren Williams, Rachaad White, AJ Dillon, Gibson, K. Mitchell, Perine, CEH, Akers, Dowdle
WR (3) Collins, Palmer, Meyers, Chark, Boyd, Juju
TE (2) Laporta, Kmet , Schultz, J. Johnson, Fant, Dulcich
FLEX (3) Montgomery, Njoku, Brian Robinson
SF (1) Minshew

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:19 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:20 pm Glad he got a change of scenery. Rams should have never rushed him back from the Achilles.

Akers was good in pass pro and had excellent hands in college. Hopefully a new coaching staff can unlock that part of his game in the NFL.
Yep. His rushing game ain't it, so that's the only hope left. Akers was super raw, had some serious potential, but a variety of factors, from injury to coaching, has destroyed his career trajectory.......like most of the top backs in that class. To look back at that class, and how high I think we all were on it, in general. Such a disaster outside JT's couple of seasons.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:21 pm

mild wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:40 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:31 am The Vikings didn't just trade a 6th round pick. They swapped a 6th round pick for a 7th round pick that's three years out. This wasn't a situation of the Vikings being smart and pulling some heist on the Rams. This was a situation of both teams agreeing that a player has no value around the league.

This isn't a swing for any sort of fence. A swing implies some sort of risk as if you gave up something significant for a desired outcome. The Vikings practically gave up nothing. There's no meaningful difference between the career odds of a 6th round pick to a 7th round pick, especially for picks that are three years away lol.

Akers will certainly play, but the Vikings investment is not necessarily one of having vested interest in seeing hm succeed at a high level.
Hilarious addendum to this post: according to vikesinsider...
Update on the Cam Akers trade: in order for the 2026 late round pick-swap to go through, Akers must total 500+ scrimmage yards.
So if he doesn't perform, then the Vikings -did- actually just get Cam Akers for free. :lol:
This shouldn't surprise anybody. though. The Rams were looking for ANYTHING, rather than cutting him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:22 pm

Two Cents wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:50 pm
Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:24 pm

Im not saying Cam Akers will be the 2nd coming of Marshawn Lynch....but I think with some motivation he could definitely be a poor mans version.
Poor man's version, like someone who has 2 cents in his pocket, type poor....and had no bank account, or any other holdings?

I could see that.

To the Fournette comments.

You two are hilarious. Glad you found each other. Fournette was the 4th overall pick and was an elite player in the SEC as a sophomore. Have fun with your delusions of grandeur. No 2 people on this board that don't roster this player could possibly concoct something so delusional. :lol: