Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Jonathan Taylor is your 1.01 now.

Postby mild » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:55 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:31 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:15 pm I'm happy for him too. Just kind of wondering, aside from Irsay's ego, why they couldn't have managed to work this out prior to Week 1. Certainly would have been better for the team (and us fantasy guys!) if they had. After all, they did end up paying the man in the end anyway.

Maybe there is no reason other than Irsay's ego.
Yeah, we’ll probably never know. Taylor also could have been asking for more and finally came down a little for all we know.
I'm just glad they all figured it out. My guess would be they compromised on the length. 3 years gets him to one final potential payday at age 27/28 (incidentally 27 being the age that Saquon will be in FA next year)

The per year still looks good compared to the top guys (CMC, Chubb) and GREAT compared to anything that's been handed out recently.

BUT more importantly to all of this...

We finally get to see the Anthony Richardson / Jonathan Taylor rushing duo of dreams that we were promised.

Good luck to Linebackers everywhere. This is going to be FUN.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:54 pm

JT was looking for more money, than he received, in his initial demands. That was the story, remember? He was looking for CMC, or CMC plus type money. Reset the market.

That didn't happen. They met in the middle. Not difficult to understand.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:08 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:45 pm That wasn't so hard was it dolts.

Should have been done smoothly before the season began. To think all that drama over a few million dollars. They got him for 3 years, for a total that's cheaper than the per year amount the giants have to pay Daniel Jones. Talk about a screwed up market.
Daniel Jones hadn't played a down when all this started. I am not a DJ supporter, but that OL is a joke. For JT, it wasn't drama over a few million, some stated the Colts never wanted to pay him, and they'd just tag him, remember? Ultimately, every player, and GM who will barter over a few million, because that is how it goes. If a GM can save a few million here, a few million there, they build a better team, ad maybe secure their own job longer, as well as potentially creating more team revenue with extra games, with playoff games etc., and obviously a player, if they can get a few million more, will be better off. Negotiations are part of it, obviously.

He wanted to reset the market, the team balked, but ultimately, he wanted security beyond this season, and he likely dropped his demands, and took a deal that still gave him security for the rest of his life.

It's almost as if the team didn't want to reset the RB market on a non elite dual threat back, because he's not CMC, but still valued him as a top tier RB> We'll never know, but the fact the Colts ultimately paid him, seems to shift the narrative that in fact, they valued him, they just felt his asking price was too high. There were reports he wanted at least CMC money, that didn't happen, but he still got 26.5 guaranteed AFTER this season. That's pretty good considering the position, the injury/down year, and the work load he's had since college.

Win/Win IMO, as Richardson has a great back to help him. I just think the pitchforks and torches that some around here had, seems silly. The whole bus meeting thing, was an indication that Irsay viewed him as a star player, but paying him CMC plus money, would have been insane, IMO.

Burrow took a cart ride with the owner. I don't like Irsay, and and not a supporter of him, but when has an owner ever met privately with a RB, in this era? He clearly wanted him to be part of their build with Richardson, and this young team, and it was a case of price point. The idea JT wanted to break the RB market seems to have some relevance, and that's fine too, for him trying to push it, and ultimately, he settled on a bit less, but enough that it fits in with how the reality of the position an his skill set is, within it.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:12 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:54 pm JT was looking for more money, than he received, in his initial demands. That was the story, remember? He was looking for CMC, or CMC plus type money. Reset the market.

The real X-factor in this is that the Colts have been competitive even in Richardson's rookie season.

That likely made both JT and the Colts more willing to get a deal done.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:16 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:12 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:54 pm JT was looking for more money, than he received, in his initial demands. That was the story, remember? He was looking for CMC, or CMC plus type money. Reset the market.

The real X-factor in this is that the Colts have been competitive even in Richardson's rookie season.

Perhaps, but I still think that they were willing to keep JT on, as Richardson is the key to it all, really. Having JT for his first 3 years, at least, was always desirable. Just not at CMC plus money. I think, that the Colts, AND JT, saw Richardson on the field, and said, wow imagine this with him/me out there. If that's what you are saying, I agree, but JT was willing to drop his price a bit, I think, because there likely wasn't a better fit, or anyone willing to pay for him in picks and salary, and there are other RB"s in FA next year that are really good, so no telling what the market will be.

Ultimately, it worked out, and I'm glad. I just think people were a bit to hard on the the franchise, as the ultimately showed commitment, just not a record setting one, which they really shouldn't have done. It would have been "nice" if they had, but it also would have been stupid.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:16 pm

Perhaps, but I still think that they were willing to keep JT on, as Richardson is the key to it all, really. Having JT for his first 3 years, at least, was always desirable. Just not at CMC plus money. I think, that the Colts, AND JT, saw Richardson on the field, and said, wow imagine this with him/me out there. If that's what you are saying, I agree, but JT was willing to drop his price a bit, I think, because there likely wasn't a better fit, or anyone willing to pay for him in picks and salary, and there are other RB"s in FA next year that are really good, so no telling what the market will be.

Ultimately, it worked out, and I'm glad. I just think people were a bit to hard on the the franchise, as the ultimately showed commitment, just not a record setting one, which they really shouldn't have done. It would have been "nice" if they had, but it also would have been stupid.
It's silly to make this comparison when it's obvious CMC's underpaid given his value to the team.

He's making 16 mill a year (which is great for a RB) while Deebo Samuel is making 24 mill a year. Who do you think is more valuable to that team? Is Deebo even less likely to get injured?

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:20 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:45 pm That wasn't so hard was it dolts.

Should have been done smoothly before the season began. To think all that drama over a few million dollars. They got him for 3 years, for a total that's cheaper than the per year amount the giants have to pay Daniel Jones. Talk about a screwed up market.
Ballard also could’ve looked around and saw a team that was performing better than expected in a maybe tighter than expected AFC South. All in all, I’m a happy colts fan today. It’s been awhile since I’ve been excited to watch them play
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.04, 1.05, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early), 1st (early), 1st (mid)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:21 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:17 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:16 pm

It's silly to make this comparison when it's obvious CMC's underpaid given his value to the team.

He's making 16 mill a year (which is great for a RB) while Deebo Samuel is making 24 mill a year. Who do you think is more valuable to that team? Is Deebo even less likely to get injured?
Yeah, I mean CMC is balling this year, for sure. But my point is, CMC is the standard, so yeah, maybe CMC is underpaid, but JT shouldn't make more than he does, and CMC balled last year, too, JT didn't. JT shouldn't be making close to CMC, what you are saying is just an indictment on JT's demands. Why on earth should Indy feel obligated to pay JT close to CMC, the top end player at the position, with the top end pay, regardless if you feel CMC is underpaid, they simply point to the fact that JT isn't doing that, so he's not getting what that guy gets as a salary. This isn't the QB position, it doesn't work the same way, with "next man up", for many obvious reasons.

JT is clearly in line with what he's getting paid, or he wouldn't have signed. I have no problems shooting for the moon, but ultimately he was smart enough to realize his demands were too high, he likely always did, but he still got an offer that was within the range he felt acceptable. Especially after seeing Barkley turn down multiple years, and then get hurt. This is a big win for JT, and I think for the Colts, too, as they now how someone Richardson can lean on, as he develops.

This offense could be scary, real soon.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:21 pm
Yeah, I mean CMC is balling this year, for sure. But my point is, CMC is the standard, so yeah, maybe CMC is underpaid, but JT shouldn't make more than he does, and CMC balled last year, too, JT didn't. JT shouldn't be making close to CMC, what you are saying is just an indictment on JT's demands. Why on earth should Indy feel obligated to pay JT close to CMC, the top end player at the position, with the top end pay, regardless if you feel CMC is underpaid, they simply point to the fact that JT isn't doing that, so he's not getting what that guy gets as a salary.
I understand that's the lever NFL teams want to pull whenever a RB asks to get paid what they're worth.. and when RB's secede to these demands they just give new RB contracts more leverage.

They just had a "RB meeting" this off-season to talk about the ongoing problem with RB contracts and JT was likely influenced by it.

I understand your point.. but by that logic NFL QB contracts should've been measured against Tom Brady's during the NE days. Just because AJB is underpaid as a WR does not mean that similarly talented WRs are not going to look to reset the market when they negotiate their next contract. When an elite player is outperforming their contract they're simply underpaid..
Last edited by Sriracha on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm

Hankybro21 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:20 pm Ballard also could’ve looked around and saw a team that was performing better than expected in a maybe tighter than expected AFC South. All in all, I’m a happy colts fan today. It’s been awhile since I’ve been excited to watch them play
I don't have any AR or JT anywhere, redraft or Dynasty this year - and even I'm beyond excited to see these guys line up together.

Just two absolute monsters in the same backfield. Hard to think of a more dangerous QB/RB rushing duo, historically speaking... maybe rookie year Cam with 28 year old Deangelo Williams, or the Jonathan Stewart years? Lamar had an incredible year out of Mark Ingram in that MVP year...

I'm struggling to think of anything on this level, though. This is going to be crazy.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:55 pm

I think they caught Irsay passed out and the GM went to work and got it done. Congrats to JT never saw this coming form the Colts... the proper ending for all parties involved.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:58 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:21 pm
Yeah, I mean CMC is balling this year, for sure. But my point is, CMC is the standard, so yeah, maybe CMC is underpaid, but JT shouldn't make more than he does, and CMC balled last year, too, JT didn't. JT shouldn't be making close to CMC, what you are saying is just an indictment on JT's demands. Why on earth should Indy feel obligated to pay JT close to CMC, the top end player at the position, with the top end pay, regardless if you feel CMC is underpaid, they simply point to the fact that JT isn't doing that, so he's not getting what that guy gets as a salary.
I understand that's the lever NFL teams want to pull whenever a RB asks to get paid what they're worth.. and when RB's secede to these demands they just give new RB contracts more leverage.

They just had a "RB meeting" this off-season to talk about the ongoing problem with RB contracts and JT was likely influenced by it.

I understand your point.. but by that logic NFL QB contracts should've been measured against Tom Brady's during the NE days. Just because AJB is underpaid as a WR does not mean that similarly talented WRs are not going to look to reset the market when they negotiate their next contract. When an elite player is outperforming their contract they're simply underpaid..
Which caused a rift with the NFL an the Union, to the point of a grievance being filed. RB's aren't underpaid, they are paid based on what teams are willing to pay them, and the nature of the position. Teams have a salary cap, and there's a lot of data on a lot of different elements of the game that suggest paying RB's isn't going to help you win, as a GM.

I understand exactly what you are saying, in regards to AJB, I made the same point on this very thread recently, about JJ. He's arguably the most underpaid player in the league. As I said, Kirk laps his salary. What if JJ had a Victor Cruz type injury, and wasn't the same player, moving forward?

It's not JUST RB's, it's anybody, but it's the CBA, it's what they've agreed upon, and we spend soooo much time on here discussing it, and why? We understand these things, but why this thread continues to go on about this stuff, it's not going to change anything. It's kind of fruitless discussion, and I'm involved in it.

This thread/board can talk about whatever they want, but page after page of this stuff, it's a bit much, I'm starting to realize it's counterproductive. Caring this much about things we are looking into keyholes on. It's making FF way more complicated than it needs to be, and sucks the fun out of it.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:58 pm This thread/board can talk about whatever they want, but page after page of this stuff, it's a bit much, I'm starting to realize it's counterproductive. Caring this much about things we are looking into keyholes on. It's making FF way more complicated than it needs to be, and sucks the fun out of it.
Ummmm...
mild wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm
Hankybro21 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:20 pm Ballard also could’ve looked around and saw a team that was performing better than expected in a maybe tighter than expected AFC South. All in all, I’m a happy colts fan today. It’s been awhile since I’ve been excited to watch them play
I don't have any AR or JT anywhere, redraft or Dynasty this year - and even I'm beyond excited to see these guys line up together.

Just two absolute monsters in the same backfield. Hard to think of a more dangerous QB/RB rushing duo, historically speaking... maybe rookie year Cam with 28 year old Deangelo Williams, or the Jonathan Stewart years? Lamar had an incredible year out of Mark Ingram in that MVP year...

I'm struggling to think of anything on this level, though. This is going to be crazy.
We can get back to talking about the actual players any time you're ready, big dawg!

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:31 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:58 pm Which caused a rift with the NFL an the Union, to the point of a grievance being filed. RB's aren't underpaid, they are paid based on what teams are willing to pay them, and the nature of the position. Teams have a salary cap, and there's a lot of data on a lot of different elements of the game that suggest paying RB's isn't going to help you win, as a GM.

I understand exactly what you are saying, in regards to AJB, I made the same point on this very thread recently, about JJ. He's arguably the most underpaid player in the league. As I said, Kirk laps his salary. What if JJ had a Victor Cruz type injury, and wasn't the same player, moving forward?

It's not JUST RB's, it's anybody, but it's the CBA, it's what they've agreed upon, and we spend soooo much time on here discussing it, and why? We understand these things, but why this thread continues to go on about this stuff, it's not going to change anything. It's kind of fruitless discussion, and I'm involved in it.

This thread/board can talk about whatever they want, but page after page of this stuff, it's a bit much, I'm starting to realize it's counterproductive. Caring this much about things we are looking into keyholes on. It's making FF way more complicated than it needs to be, and sucks the fun out of it.
I used AJB because he's on his second contract.. all elite players on their rookie contracts are underpaid by design. I brought him up just to touch on the idea that contracts should be measured vs elite player contracts not because of injury uncertainty.

I don't agree that every position is affected by this in the same way that RB and TE's are because for those positions specifically there are so few elite talents that actually matter. Vegas tells us all we need to know about positions and their affect on wins and losses... only QB injuries move the line. At the end of the day playmakers for all positions are just pieces to the puzzle. QBs are the engine the rest are just lubricants.

I can understand if you're burnt out on it so feel free to just carry on. :thumbup:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:40 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:28 pm

:clap:

For this particular offense I don't think there's a better RB than JT.

AR is a mobile QB who isn't going to check it down much anyway and JT is the size/speed freak that can take full advantage of the wide running lanes his mobility is going to create.

These two are going to be a nightmare for opposing LBs