Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:37 am A lot of QBs have struggled with the Cover-2 shell looks this season: Buffalo, KC, Tampa Bay at times. It's why Chris Godwin had like 15 receptions the other day and low aDOT routes.

Teams like KC and Buffalo need to invest in a more consistent running attack, otherwise teams will continue to play that shell and cut off the big plays.

Mahomes will be fine long-term.
He will, I just think his big year was more of an outlier than people thought at the time. People were expecting him to dominate the league for years. Sort of him, then everybody else type thing, and that's just not the case. I would like to mention, as someone else said that a lot of his INT's bounced off WR's hands, that it sort of evened out from the year before where he threw one of the highest amounts of interceptable passes, and they just got dropped by DB's a lot. Also, Mahomes gets a lot, and I mean a lot of cheap "TD passes" vs your average QB. Tap passes, underhand passes, all glorified hand offs where his "TD pass" stats look quite different at the end of the year because of that quirk that Reid loves to throw in there more than any other coach by a long shot.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:47 am
realmacaroni wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:07 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:30 am I've heard a lot of bad Mahomes news this season. All I can say is that, if QB6 is a terrible year for him, I can't wait for the next several years of him on my roster. I rarely look more than 2-3 years down the line but with QBs, when you know, you know.

That said, plenty of other QB have put themselves into the QB1 conversation.
Totally came here to say “something something QB6…”
The problem ppl are getting at is aside from the 5 TD game he has barely been breaking 10 points a week.

I have no worries long term but he might cost me a championship.
Fair concern. Some of those matchups weren't ideal though. Some good defenses and interestingly enough, his turnovers have gone down in these recent lower point weeks. The beginning of the year he had better point totals but also more turnovers. Gunslinger.

Looking forward he's about to play LV (the 5 TD opponent you just mentioned). Then LAC, PIT and CIN. None of them worry me too much. Maybe in 1QB people have a better/more consistent option and I wouldn't blame them at all for going with that QB. But in terms of dynasty? No concern

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:37 am A lot of QBs have struggled with the Cover-2 shell looks this season: Buffalo, KC, Tampa Bay at times. It's why Chris Godwin had like 15 receptions the other day and low aDOT routes.

Teams like KC and Buffalo need to invest in a more consistent running attack, otherwise teams will continue to play that shell and cut off the big plays.

He will, I just think his big year was more of an outlier than people thought at the time. People were expecting him to dominate the league for years. Sort of him, then everybody else type thing, and that's just not the case.
Another fair point. The Herbert's and Allen's are definitely a lot closer now and I wouldn't fault someone for going with one of them over Mahomes. The contract situation will also be the same for all of these QB soon enough so that doesn't factor into my evaluation much either

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm

He will, I just think his big year was more of an outlier than people thought at the time. People were expecting him to dominate the league for years. Sort of him, then everybody else type thing, and that's just not the case.
Another fair point. The Herbert's and Allen's are definitely a lot closer now and I wouldn't fault someone for going with one of them over Mahomes. The contract situation will also be the same for all of these QB soon enough so that doesn't factor into my evaluation much either
Yeah this is the big thing. He's still in that conversation in the very least in spite of his numerous struggles this year.
His per game average is still 280-2-1, with some minor rushing tossed in too 20 ypg. Average of almost 19 ppg in 4 point per TD. This is really why he was viewed as that him and everyone else guy, cause in a "disappointing" year that's what you get outta him and now its simply not him and everyone else but hes just in that tier. (IMO top tier is now Herbs, LJax, Allen, Mahomes in no particular order I wanna put Kyler in that tier and if he gets back to early season form he will be)

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:12 pm

He will, I just think his big year was more of an outlier than people thought at the time. People were expecting him to dominate the league for years. Sort of him, then everybody else type thing, and that's just not the case. I would like to mention, as someone else said that a lot of his INT's bounced off WR's hands, that it sort of evened out from the year before where he threw one of the highest amounts of interceptable passes, and they just got dropped by DB's a lot. Also, Mahomes gets a lot, and I mean a lot of cheap "TD passes" vs your average QB. Tap passes, underhand passes, all glorified hand offs where his "TD pass" stats look quite different at the end of the year because of that quirk that Reid loves to throw in there more than any other coach by a long shot.
Could not agree more, the amount of times over the previous 3 years I've been done in versing Mahomes where I'm yelling at the TV that it shouldn't count as an F***ing pass hahaha, also when it comes to high amount of ints of receivers hands I feel that happens a lot to QBs but when its Mahomes its brought up a lot more by commentators in his defence.

Can someone point me to where I can see INTs vs INTs coming off WR's hands? I'd be curious to see if Mahomes is really that far ahead of others in this

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:28 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Could not agree more, the amount of times over the previous 3 years I've been done in versing Mahomes where I'm yelling at the TV that it shouldn't count as an F***ing pass hahaha, also when it comes to high amount of ints of receivers hands I feel that happens a lot to QBs but when its Mahomes its brought up a lot more by commentators in his defence.

Can someone point me to where I can see INTs vs INTs coming off WR's hands? I'd be curious to see if Mahomes is really that far ahead of others in this
Would be a crazy stat if you can find it. I also doubt Mahomes is any higher in this category than say Lamar or Rodgers, etc

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:28 pm
AussieMate wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Would be a crazy stat if you can find it. I also doubt Mahomes is any higher in this category than say Lamar or Rodgers, etc
If there was one QB that I had to bet on being head and shoulders above the rest in terms of INTs of receivers' hands it'd be Eli manning. Infuriating watch some one his games as an owner. He had his own flaws but also some terrible luck
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pm

Mahomes is running away with the MVP after tonight. Fields is certainly the best FF QB over the last month, but in a Dynasty context, can't put anybody above Mahomes. Guy is a fantastic player, and the fact he's doing it without Tyreek, and really no top notch Wide Out, and no Juju tonight, just gives me more respect for his game. Of course Kelce matters, but I definitely expected a drop in numbers from Mahomes with the departure of Tyreek, but he's having another MVP type season.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pm Mahomes is running away with the MVP after tonight. Fields is certainly the best FF QB over the last month, but in a Dynasty context, can't put anybody above Mahomes. Guy is a fantastic player, and the fact he's doing it without Tyreek, and really no top notch Wide Out, and no Juju tonight, just gives me more respect for his game. Of course Kelce matters, but I definitely expected a drop in numbers from Mahomes with the departure of Tyreek, but he's having another MVP type season.
Hard to find fault with anything Mahomes has accomplished this season. He's my leader for PoY, but the caveat is that it's only week 11. Every potential PoY mention has to include, "if he keeps playing like this."
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pm Mahomes is running away with the MVP after tonight. Fields is certainly the best FF QB over the last month, but in a Dynasty context, can't put anybody above Mahomes. Guy is a fantastic player, and the fact he's doing it without Tyreek, and really no top notch Wide Out, and no Juju tonight, just gives me more respect for his game. Of course Kelce matters, but I definitely expected a drop in numbers from Mahomes with the departure of Tyreek, but he's having another MVP type season.
Still think his contract is gonna sink KC?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:37 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:59 am Hard to find fault with anything Mahomes has accomplished this season. He's my leader for PoY, but the caveat is that it's only week 11. Every potential PoY mention has to include, "if he keeps playing like this."
Mahomes has played like this since the day he took over as starter. Injury the only thing that could stop him from winning, it's a 100% guarantee he's going to keep playing like this so long as he stays on the field.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:02 am

The fatigue on Pat's greatness is at absolutely unreal heights right now. That throw he made down the field to his FOURTH-STRING TIGHT END is one of the best throws you'll ever see, and the broadcast and seemingly everyone has glossed over it like it was a routine 10-yard out.

Fantasy is a different story, but in reality, the amount of takes back in the offseason putting him down and propping up anyone else -- mostly Allen but certainly others as well -- were absolutely insulting.

Even now. People crave competition and drama, but sorry, Pat is on a whole different planet to Tua and Hurts. I mean, really?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:00 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am
That contract is looking better and better by the week

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:18 am

I thought it was obvious it was a great deal for both sides as soon as it was signed. He's already only #5 in AAV among QBs, and makes just $5M more than Carr and Dak. Plus Lamar, Herbert, Burrow are in line to get huge deals soon (probably this offseason) and likely push him further down the list. It's worked out even better than expected.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:31 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am
I bumped the thread to give the guy his due.

I'm also pretty sure I stated it would be more difficult for them to build, simple math. THey had the advantage of an elite QB on a rookie deal. Losing Hill was a direct relation the Mahomes contract, Reid stated so. Mahomes has shown he's still a great QB without him. We shall see if they can win another SB, I wouldn't doubt it. Teams like the Chargers are closer, (partly due to Herbert on a rookie deal), but the Chiefs still seem to pull out the close ones vs them, more often than not. They usually have very tight games, but the Chiefs are still in line for another division title.