Harvin vs Nicks

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Harvin vs Nicks

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm

How far apart are these guys in talent and fantasy worth really? Harvin has the migraine issue Nicks had the compartment syndrome in his leg.

Nicks has the size advantage.
Harvin is listed 5' 11 185
Nicks is listed 6'1 215

Is the production so different over their first 2 years that Nicks is borderline top 5 and Harvin is borderline top 20?

Harvin - 131 receptions, 1658 yards, 11 tds
Nicks - 126 reception, 1842 yards, 17 tds

Harvin +5 on receptions
Nicks +184 yards
Nicks +6 Tds

I'm not arguing that Harvin is a better dynasty player then Nicks, I'm just wondering if their value is that far apart.

Any thoughts?

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Harvin vs Nicks

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:50 pm

I would say Nicks is 3 tiers above Harvin but he could close that gap to 2 tiers by the end of this year if he can stay healthy

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 pm

harvin's stats were inflated in 09 cos of Farve as well. I dont see how Harvin can close the gap with Ponder as QB either.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Nicks went in our startup at 1.9. Percy went to me at 5.2. I like Percy's value better although ill call nicks the #2 to #5 receiver and I put Percy in the #15 to #20 range depending on the scoring

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:05 pm

MikeCross wrote:harvin's stats were inflated in 09 cos of Farve as well. I dont see how Harvin can close the gap with Ponder as QB either.
So good QB play is a factor. I agree with that. What if the Vikes were to land a good veteran QB once we have a free agency period?

Maybe it's just that many don't think Harvin has the ability to be a true #1. I think he has the skill set to pull it off, but I concede that he doesn't have the height for the jumpball redzone targets which is a big deal IMO.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm

jordanzs wrote:Nicks went in our startup at 1.9. Percy went to me at 5.2. I like Percy's value better although ill call nicks the #2 to #5 receiver and I put Percy in the #15 to #20 range depending on the scoring
Scoring format is a key component. My league is a return yardage league so Harvin in that format is just about a wash with Nicks or better.

But I mentioned just PPR since I think the majority play that format.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:17 pm

If Harvin's numbers were artificially inflated during Favre's storybook season, then how did he better them when Favre started showing his age the next season?

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Mangelo wrote:If Harvin's numbers were artificially inflated during Favre's storybook season, then how did he better them when Favre started showing his age the next season?
Stdney Rice is your reason. He didnt play last year, making Harvin the #1, if you wanna call him that.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

hot nikkels wrote:Is the production so different over their first 2 years that Nicks is borderline top 5 and Harvin is borderline top 20?
Yes. I don't think you are fairly assessing them statistically as 2010 revealed a dramatic difference that is hidden by the totals:

Harvin: 71-975-6 (totals including rushing)
Nicks: 79-1052-11

Nicks was better across the board and missed one more game than Harvin. I also believe Nicks has a much higher ceiling.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Not much of a comparison...Nicks is a true #1 WR and he could get better! He has a good QB and a decent supporting cast around him, particularly at WR! Harvin is a talent but more of a reception and short pass, YAC WR...he's a good to great playmaker but he will suffer near term with a diminishing supporting cast, especially is SRice leaves via Free Agency...a new QB, an aging O-Line...he's a solid #2 but not on the level of Hakeem Nicks.
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok all fair points so far. What about Desean vs Harvin?

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 pm

I'd say their value is pretty far apart, but that's not a knock on Harvin, just Nicks is a few tiers over him. Looking at stats by themselves can be mis leading. For one, were not taking into consideration Nicks earned a majority of those stats getting double teamed over the top, the focus of the defense week in and out. Harvin got afforded the opportunity to play with Sidney Rice and he drew away alot of that coverage, and there were a few games he struggled when he was relied on like a #1 WR.

I can just trust Harvin, I know what I'm getting. A guy who is a lock for 80/1200/10 as his floor until he is 30 years old IMO, with potential for much more. With Harvin there are alot more questions on his ability to produce for my team year in and out(this is from a Harvin owner in 2 leagues), and alot of his production is more dependent on his situation honestly. He's not a bad player to own at all, I am not starting him as a WR3 in any dynasty league I have him in though, I think he's a bit of a risk there.

I'd still love to sit on him for the future because he's still young and developing and has Steve Smith(Car) potential at one point. I just don't know if he'll get there, I think Nicks will lead the league in receiving a few times in his career.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Harvin is women's soccer to Nicks' NFL.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

gratefulydead3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gratefulydead3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Harvin is women's soccer to Nicks' NFL.
:lol: :lol:

I think Harvin at his best can be a number 2 option for an offense. He was only able to top 100 yards 3 times in 2010 and I don't expect that to vary much. Nicks has the ability to take over a game by himself and put up those big games consistently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZzfmmhzEg&NR=1

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:00 am

Nicks is by far superior to Harvin in both talent and opportunity. I like Harvin as a good WR3. I wouldn't want him as my FF WR2 since he's pretty much garunteed to miss games with the migrane thing. If he's your FF teams, a WR3 is much easier to have depth behind him for those games he will miss. I agree that Farve inflated his stats. Even if they get a good free agent QB, they won't do what Farve did. Farve knew the offensive system better then the coaching staff... no f/a or rookie QB will be able to do that in the next 3 years. Then factor in that the kickoff rules have changed, which will further devalue Harvin this year even in return yardage leagues. I'd be selling Harvin if I owned him in a return yardage league, before people remember how many touch backs there were when the kickoff was where it is again. They won't be a wash anymore.