The European way to run a team

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

The European way to run a team

Postby ravn88 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm

I have many times thought, why why why, would this QB get hugh salary, when his worth is below that.
I get they are importent players, but as I see it, it's also offen destorys the team..

A few examples:

Stafford, Flacco and Dalton

Next one:
Dak

For the first time ever, i've heard an "expert" talking about what I'm talking about. (Nick Wright around 3:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voc4OARhaKo

I remember the first time, when Flacco took the Ravens to the SB in his contract year, where he steped up his game quit a bit. I was still like, Ravens do not pay this man. They did and had to lose out on other importent players, and the Division for 5 years in a row.
Why not tag Flacco, when all he did was play well one year.

IMO, the Cowboys are in this situation. If they (over)pay Dak, we will look back in a few years and they will have a hard time compete, but they will have their QB. Why not, keep the rest of the team, talentet and at its best and then gamble on the QB.

You dont need the top pick to get a QB that is good enough for Dallas to compete..

What do you think ?
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The European way to run a team

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm

There are two main reasons most NFL franchises won't risk letting a potential franchise QB walk:

1. Fan outrage at losing a "franchise player" hurts ticket / merch sales.
2. You're just as likely to end up with the next Case Keenum as you are the next Carson Wentz.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm

The Cowboys would love the "European Way" to be incorporated into the NFL, they would be Real Madrid/Barcelona and just buy all the best players in the world.

I'm a big fan of Nick Wright and have heard him make this suggestion many times and while on paper it makes perfect sense, it would be almost impossible to do in reality.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm The Cowboys would love the "European Way" to be incorporated into the NFL, they would be Real Madrid/Barcelona and just buy all the best players in the world.

I'm a big fan of Nick Wright and have heard him make this suggestion many times and while on paper it makes perfect sense, it would be almost impossible to do in reality.
That would be cool..

Why is it so impossible ? Lets say they draft a Keenum type player, he might work in that offense, because everything is better than he ever had. Then 2 things can happen, he is very bad, and they need to move on a year later - or so. Or they have his whole rookie contract to draft better players (even better QB's) for the team..

Maybe they draft a Wentz type player siting behind Keenum the first year or 2, and then they are set for for his whole career.
after 4-5 years they pay the new Wentz, have him for many years and then they have to start over.

I get that you need a great GM but it looks like they do have just that in Dallas..

Lets see what Ballard are gonna do with my Colts, now that the paid JB 30 Million over 2 years.
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:45 pm

What team has won, have multiple winning seasons, with a below average QB? You need at minimum an average QB to win. Most QBs are drafted round 1. To get a quality QB after round 1, you need to be more lucky than have good scouting.
Without a QB you can build around, you'll forever be chasing to find a quality QB.

It's much easier said than done. Do you think the cowboys can win with Fitzpatrick, Hoyer? I doubt they are good enough to go deep in the playoffs with Dak, who is quality QB.

Djpal15
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Djpal15 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Because...’Merica!
10 team Dynasty 1 pt PPR 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1K, 1D 30man roster

QB - L. Jackson,S. Darnold
RB - CmC, Mixon, Chubb, M. Mack, Fournette, D. Guice, Bonnafon, Dar. Williams, Mattison
WR - Evans, C. Kirk, Gallup, D.J. Moore, Lockett, Watkins, S. Shepard, D Hamilton, D. Cain, C. Davis, D.J. Chark, J.JAW
TE - Kittle, M. Andrews
K - Gay, Lambo
D. Vikings, Bills, Panthers
2020 1st x 2, 4 2020 2nd x 5th

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:45 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm There are two main reasons most NFL franchises won't risk letting a potential franchise QB walk:

1. Fan outrage at losing a "franchise player" hurts ticket / merch sales.
2. You're just as likely to end up with the next Case Keenum as you are the next Carson Wentz.
Infinitely more likely to get case than Carson. The percentage of good QBs is microscopic compared to the amount that wash out. Entire draft classes vanish with only the actual team fans noticing. Where did Jake locker go?

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:17 pm 2. You're just as likely to end up with the next Case Keenum as you are the next Carson Wentz.
Exactly this ^ It's part of sports - and by extension, fantasy sports.

For every time you guess right on how good a QB or player or team or whatever is, you guess wrong just as much. No one is right all the time, not even "experts".

The Flacco example is easy in hindsight. What about Cousins? What the hell is he in this context? Confusing, that's what!

Even Wentz might be a "bust" if he can't stay on the field, right?

Was Aikman a great QB without a great team around him? Nope. Is Dak so different right now?

Off to the bar to have these great, eternal sports arguments! :P
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:06 pm

ravn88 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm I have many times thought, why why why, would this QB get hugh salary, when his worth is below that.
I get they are importent players, but as I see it, it's also offen destorys the team..

A few examples:

Stafford, Flacco and Dalton

Next one:
Dak

For the first time ever, i've heard an "expert" talking about what I'm talking about. (Nick Wright around 3:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voc4OARhaKo

I remember the first time, when Flacco took the Ravens to the SB in his contract year, where he steped up his game quit a bit. I was still like, Ravens do not pay this man. They did and had to lose out on other importent players, and the Division for 5 years in a row.
Why not tag Flacco, when all he did was play well one year.

IMO, the Cowboys are in this situation. If they (over)pay Dak, we will look back in a few years and they will have a hard time compete, but they will have their QB. Why not, keep the rest of the team, talentet and at its best and then gamble on the QB.

You dont need the top pick to get a QB that is good enough for Dallas to compete..

What do you think ?
Stafford is not the reason the Lions can’t field a functional team, though his cap hit is ridiculous. I’m also not sure how Dalton’s contract is being brought up here. He’s roughly the 17th highest cap hit among QBs and I’m not sure that’s all that far off his value.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Let’s look at playoff teams from last year
AFC
Brady-paid
Pat-rookie
Watson-rookie
Luck-paid
Lamar-rookie BUT still had Flacco eating cap
Rivers-paid

NFC
Goff-rookie
Brees-paid
Dak-rookie
Mitch-rookie
Russ-paid
Wentz/foles-rookie and cheap

So from this half the teams had cheap rookie guys and half of them had at least one pricy qb. We can point to the dalton, Flacco, stafford and how those team can’t win with them but if you hit it the reward is so great with a truly elite qbs ability to keep a team relevant no matter what’s around them. Obviously having an elite qb on a rookie deal is ideal but how many of those are there

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:35 pm Let’s look at playoff teams from last year
AFC
Brady-paid
Pat-rookie
Watson-rookie
Luck-paid
Rivers-paid

NFC
Goff-rookie
Brees-paid
Dak-rookie
Mitch-rookie
Russ-paid

So from this half the teams had cheap rookie guys and half of them had at least one pricy qb. We can point to the dalton, Flacco, stafford and how those team can’t win with them but if you hit it the reward is so great with a truly elite qbs ability to keep a team relevant no matter what’s around them. Obviously having an elite qb on a rookie deal is ideal but how many of those are there
All those veteran QBs on those playoff teams are on below market deals though (Wilson is no longer).

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:11 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 pm
Mjvb5 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:35 pm Let’s look at playoff teams from last year
AFC
Brady-paid
Pat-rookie
Watson-rookie
Luck-paid
Rivers-paid

NFC
Goff-rookie
Brees-paid
Dak-rookie
Mitch-rookie
Russ-paid

All those veteran QBs on those playoff teams are on below market deals though (Wilson is no longer).
Pretty much all long term deals eventually become below market.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Which is when the window to compete opens back up, but in the cases of Brees, Rivers and Brady they took less money on those deals opposed to Luck and Wilsons just being passed by newer deals.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:37 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 pm Which is when the window to compete opens back up, but in the cases of Brees, Rivers and Brady they took less money on those deals opposed to Luck and Wilsons just being passed by newer deals.
Brady yes but the other two not really, Brees is still a top 10 QB in contract and when he signed it last year that made him top 5, it’s just been shattered recently and rivers signed his in 2015 to become the #2 highest paid qb. But by saying the window opens back up that acknowledges that paying a qb still has a 2-3 year window which is about what you get with a rookie qb anyway. Qbs typically take 2-3 years of development (sometimes one but that’s typically rare until recently). So to get to that same level of production your back down to a 2-4 year window to compete before they need to be payed which is very similar to the opening you get from paying a vet anyway.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 pm

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... 1&t=183909

While this thread did end up getting locked - I feel plenty of good arguments were made on both sides - so make sure to take a look (just avoid getting this thread locked).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..