Building Through Rookie Draft Instead of Trades

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Building Through Rookie Draft Instead of Trades

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:10 am

Is building solely through the rookie draft a viable way to build a dynasty if you focus all your research on college/rookies? I've routinely been burned by trades and tend to be over zealous and make rash decisions. I'm basically looking for a philosophy/system to save me from my trade addicted self.

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Re: Building Through Rookie Draft Instead of Trades

Postby grandmabetty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 am

i think it depends a little on your league design. I play in a contract league and rookies are free, however that doesn't come into play in our league very much as money isn't tight. I have a fairly good track record of winning trades. I guess im a good con man so for me I typically view draft picks as good trade value

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am

Your league makeup has a lot to do with it. Also the year you have multiple picks has a lot to do with it too. I turned my team around last year with having a bunch of 1st round picks in a big year for RB's. Whereas with the 2019 draft, I would not want a bunch of picks. I made a bunch of rash decisions and made a ton of trades my first few years in dynasty and found out, more times then not, its better to hold. Patients is so huge in dynasty, it took me many years to learn that. Trading is fun but don't just trade to trade. I think it's a very fine balance to build through the draft and hold good players when you land them. I have had a ton of offers so far this off-season for guys like Kamara, Mixon, Chubb and Kerryon that come with fun players to add, but what is the point of moving them? It's not always about this year in dynasty

smoger45
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smoger45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am

If you plan on making trades i would focus on 2nd and third year players that may get the jump on next man up or guys who may have struggled the first year. I did that to obtain Melvin Gordon. I traded Kelvin Benjamin straight up for Gordon and boy am I pleased. It is easier to miss on a rookie than it is to trade for someone that may have presented a sample size of what they can offer.
16 team 30 man PPR High scoring format.
QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/WR|TE flex
D/D/DB/DB/DL/LB/LB/LB/CB
Completions .5
Passing Yards 15 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 10
Interceptions -4
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 5
yards per point Rushing Touchdowns 10 Receptions 1
Receiving Yards 4 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 10
Return Touchdowns 20
2-Point Conversions 3
Fumbles Lost -4
Offensive Fumble Return TD 20
Kickers
Field Goals
0-19 Yards 5 20-29 Yards 6 30-39 Yards 8 40-49 Yards 12 50+ Yards 15
Point After Attempt Made 2

QB. D. Jones, Herbert,
RB. D. Pearce, M. Gordon, N. Harris D. Singletary, Jamal Williams, Ty Johnson
WR. A. Cooper, Djax, Marquise Brown, OBJ, E. Moore, Duvernay, V. Jones
TE Z. Ertz, D. Waller
K W. Lutz
LB J. Baker, Mykal, Pratt, J.Phillips
DE C. Jordan, B. Burns
CB T. Diggs, K. Gordon, P. Adebo
S T. Edmunds, A. Winfield Jr. Marcus Williams

bobandrews
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bobandrews » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 am

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am Patience is so huge in dynasty, it took me many years to learn that.

Amen. I've played FF for almost 40 years. Joined a dynasty league three seasons ago and had to 'learn' how to play all over again. Micromanaging cost me for sure. I picked up Adan Theilan for a buck two years ago and dropped him when he didn't produce the first week I had him. :clap:

I inherited/drafted and quickly dropped Algohor and Tyler Boyd. Not that either is a franchise maker but in my 16 team, deep roster league anyone with a pulse has value, especially on a team with the lousy receivers I've had.

I'm rollling with my draft picks, still have all but one I've nabbed in the last two years.
Minnesota Fighting Saints 2020 League Champs
16 Team, 22 player in-season, 26 player off-season, .5 PPR, 4 Rd Rookie draft
1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1K
QB- Mahomes, Bridgewater, Eason
RB- DCook, Aaron Jones, Duke Johnson, Hyde, Kelley, Cohen
WR- Watkins, S Shepard, C Godwin, Gallup, AJ Brown, S Sims, Reagor, Coutee, Patrick, Hansen
TE- Howard, Burton, Engram, Arnold
K- Butker, Succop

Also:
I commish the Ed Hughes Football League. Founded 1980. Limited Keeper/non-dynasty. Our 41th season!

http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2020/home/44355

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 am

smoger45 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am If you plan on making trades i would focus on 2nd and third year players that may get the jump on next man up or guys who may have struggled the first year. I did that to obtain Melvin Gordon. I traded Kelvin Benjamin straight up for Gordon and boy am I pleased. It is easier to miss on a rookie than it is to trade for someone that may have presented a sample size of what they can offer.
Looking at my team in the signature and considering it's a super-flex, start 2 TE, Full PPR, what players would you be looking to move and for what type of deals?

LondonMonarchs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby LondonMonarchs » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 am

You can build through the draft to a certain point, which is something I have tried to do without being able to challenge for the ship. This tear I have already burned through my picks, rightly or wrongly, to get players like A. Jones, Fournette, Evans and Conner across a couple of leagues to make a push.

You will find a route that works for your team.
12 TE Prem - Orphan Full rebuild :!:
QB - S.Darnold, D.Lock
RB - J. Taylor, CEH, K. Hunt, A.McFarland, R.Armstead, D.Evans, D. Dallas, L.Bowden
WR - C. Lamb, J.Jeudy, J. Jefferson, H. Ruggs, D.Mims, L.Shenault, P.Campbell, Z.Pascal, A. Lazard
TE - T.Hockenson, B.Jarwin, D.Knox, J.Smith
2x 2021 1st

12team, PPR, SF
QB-RBx2-WRx2-SF-FLX
QB - Baker, Prescott, Stidham
RB - D.Freeman,A.Jones, Jam.Williams, R.JIII, K.Balage, G.Edwards
WR -Evans, Smith-Schuster, Golladay, C. Godwin, T.Higgins, A. Lazard
TE - D. Waller, I.Thomas

smoger45
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smoger45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am

I would target guys like Guice, Penny, and Pettis. Should be cheap enough to get. Maybe draft one of TE coming out like Fant.
16 team 30 man PPR High scoring format.
QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/WR|TE flex
D/D/DB/DB/DL/LB/LB/LB/CB
Completions .5
Passing Yards 15 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 10
Interceptions -4
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 5
yards per point Rushing Touchdowns 10 Receptions 1
Receiving Yards 4 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 10
Return Touchdowns 20
2-Point Conversions 3
Fumbles Lost -4
Offensive Fumble Return TD 20
Kickers
Field Goals
0-19 Yards 5 20-29 Yards 6 30-39 Yards 8 40-49 Yards 12 50+ Yards 15
Point After Attempt Made 2

QB. D. Jones, Herbert,
RB. D. Pearce, M. Gordon, N. Harris D. Singletary, Jamal Williams, Ty Johnson
WR. A. Cooper, Djax, Marquise Brown, OBJ, E. Moore, Duvernay, V. Jones
TE Z. Ertz, D. Waller
K W. Lutz
LB J. Baker, Mykal, Pratt, J.Phillips
DE C. Jordan, B. Burns
CB T. Diggs, K. Gordon, P. Adebo
S T. Edmunds, A. Winfield Jr. Marcus Williams

frisco86
Role Player
Role Player

Postby frisco86 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Well our league does not trade much. Very frustrating. Put names out there and nary a response. Put direct trades out there and no response. I picked up DJ a few years ago but gave Evans and we swapped 1st rounders (mine was higher). Was told by the league I ripped him off, hmmm...does not look that way anymore.

I picked up D Adams as a FA as one owner let him go early last year I think, maybe yr before. SCORE.

But draft has been the way. Chubb, Mixon, Mayfield, JuJu, Engram and also got Dede W in draft this year late. Picked up Godwin in FA this year. I drafted Ballage too, but dropped. Damn it. I would love to trade Keenan A, AJG, and DJ to get younger, but all are top 30 Dynasty ranked going forward, but yet I can't get a nibble.

So I think you have to have a feel for your league, who trades etc, and also timing. Look for FA that have upside. I will be dropping Ross, Gordon (WR), Carr, Lynch, K, 2 Def and one more. Hooper or M Brown - depending on Browns offseason. But I put stuff out there and one owner even said, get a life it is the offseason. Hopefully you have a few owners that like to trade. Building a team s/b a combo mixed in with some luck. Note my 2016 draft was a complete complete complete bust. 17/18 brought me a championship. So it can be done via the draft.
QB: Mayfield, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick
RB:David Johnson, Mixon, Chubb, James Robinson, Mattison, K Vaughn
WR: AJG, K Allen, D Adams, JuJu, C Godwin, D Slayton, S Miller
TE: Engram, Kittle
K: Succup
Def.: Arizona

Champions 2006 and 2018. Second a few times in between, again in 2019.

No PPR. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB,WR,TE) 1K 1 1 Def
Drop 7 ea yr. 20 player roster with up to 2 IR