The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby mild » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Blueboy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:56 pm Props on calling Jackson's floor as you saw it, mild, even though it looked crazy at the time. I'm mostly aboard the Lamar hype train at this point, but am a bit worried about his arm strength. Seeing plenty of it in college, it's kinda concerning that he's yet to showcase his big arm -- which I'd seen as a strength of his -- too much in the NFL.
You're all good Blueboy, props to you for engaging - plus I know you win some and lose some with these sort of things... it can be tough beating any drum around here. Wasn't too long ago I was saying Darrel was the more intriguing dynasty add of the two KC Williams'... :wall:

From what I recall watching - when Jackson would go deep in college, it would be because the defense was absolutely daring him to. I think we're starting to get to that point with the Ravens now. Both a 5-2 front, or a zero blitz (two typical ways to attack read option / dare a shaky QB to throw) leave the middle wide open, and we've started to see that with the TE's starting to feed in recent weeks. It fits what they're doing with the jumbo TE line packages.

It'd be good if he had someone outside Smokey Brown as a credible deep threat... I'll be very interested to see who they add this offseason (and also how the Chargers intend to stop them this weekend with a full game of tape and two weeks to study)

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Lamar jackson...just dont see this going anywhere. Before draft I thought he would never become an nfl QB and this game has definitely been the low for his career so far. Should have went to Flacco at half.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm

darewood11 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm Lamar jackson...just dont see this going anywhere. Before draft I thought he would never become an nfl QB and this game has definitely been the low for his career so far. Should have went to Flacco at half.
I have no idea if Flacco would have been better, but the Chargers definitely have Jackson figured out. Honestly, it’s a wonder that other teams didn’t dial up Jackson’s number already. Whether Flacco would have made a difference is anyone’s guess, but I don’t see them switching to Flacco today. That would send a bad message to the team about Jackson being the future (and what would that mean for Flacco next year if the Ravens put him in late in the wildcard game?)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm

darewood11 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm Lamar jackson...just dont see this going anywhere. Before draft I thought he would never become an nfl QB and this game has definitely been the low for his career so far. Should have went to Flacco at half.
I fail to see how Flacco could've done any better today, but I agree they should've put him in after the 3rd. The whole offense was trash today and it's a good thing fantasy is during the regular season; LJ won't have to play LAC caliber defenses every week next year

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Watching the last 6 quarters is what would give me pause as a Lamar fan/owner. The Browns slowed the Baltimore offense down in the 2nd half of week 17 and now this. Teams will have all offseason to study them as well. If a QB cant consistently beat you from the pocket, it's only a matter of time before defenses figure you out and make you look bad. It looks like something has been figured out to stop the Ravens.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Jackson has turned it on in the 4th tho. Still a chance.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Flacco just has a better ability to make passing plays. Jackson has turned it up a bit. This is going to be a good finish I think

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm

And unbelievably he fumbles...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

darewood11 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm And unbelievably he fumbles...
OL is a priority this off-season.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:25 pm

darewood11 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm And unbelievably he fumbles...
Sarcasm? Cause all he does it fumbles

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 pm Jackson has turned it on in the 4th tho. Still a chance.
Prevent D in garbage time. Nothing more.
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Elroypedro wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:43 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:14 pm Jackson has turned it on in the 4th tho. Still a chance.
Prevent D wasn’t preventing much tho. I get that the Chargers were trying to play it safe and run the clock, but it almost backfired.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm
I have no idea if Flacco would have been better, but the Chargers definitely have Jackson figured out. Honestly, it’s a wonder that other teams didn’t dial up Jackson’s number already. Whether Flacco would have made a difference is anyone’s guess, but I don’t see them switching to Flacco today. That would send a bad message to the team about Jackson being the future (and what would that mean for Flacco next year if the Ravens put him in late in the wildcard game?)
Simply put most teams, especially with the amount of practice time allotted, do not have the time to prepare for anything but next weeks game, and until the last few weeks there was not enough NFL film on Jackson for teams to properly know how to defend him. Its the same reason QBs like Mullens or McCoy can be successful as backups - because the advantage (imo) is with the offence as they know what to run, and the defence has to react & it is hard to react if you do not have actual game film of a QB that year.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 pm
Prevent D wasn’t preventing much tho. I get that the Chargers were trying to play it safe and run the clock, but it almost backfired.
Yeah obviously prevent D seems like a terrible idea. But the coaches look at the score: 23-3 with 9:00 left, and read their charts, that say that no team has ever come back from that deficit in the playoffs in that amount of time, so they play the odds, that tell them if they just go prevent and don’t make any big mistakes they’ll win the game at a rate approaching 100% of the time, even if they give up multiple scores. They did that and the stat remains the same, regardless of them allowing 74 total net yards and -2 net passing yards in the first 3 and 1/4 quarters, and like triple that during their prevent scheme during garbage time. Sure it seems stupid, but it worked again!
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:23 pm

I remember who you are now... You're the guy who fought most everyone in this forum that Geronimo Allison was worth more than Lamar Jackson. Which is the exact reason I started this thread. Lol now it seems like youll run with anything you can to fit your agenda.

I'll state some facts that aren't from a Lamar truther or a hater... Lamar took a struggling Baltimore offense to the playoffs. He went 6-1 as the starter. The 1 loss was in OT to KC.

Fantasy wise, Jackson as a starter averaged 18.5 PPG. Over a whole season, that would've been good for QB10 (maybe slightly less if Cam plays out the season, Trubisky didn't miss 2 games or Baker played the whole year...) He was a very viable fantasy option as a rookie.

The whole BAL offense struggled today and he didn't have much time to do anything. He played well in the 4th and made some plays that got Baltimore back in the game. His fantasy day today would've been right around his 18 point average. Not bad for the youngest starting QB in a playoff game against a top 5 NFL defense...

I know you want to dismiss him and he does have a lot of things to work on. Doesn't that just mean he has a lot of potential though?