Do you hate Winston

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!

Do you hate Winston?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:26 am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 67

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Do you hate Winston

Postby Servo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am It is important to keep in mind that there has been an influx of QB talent into the league recently.
2015 - mixed bag, I don't think Winston or Mariota have taken the leaps many had hoped they would...in real life and in fantasy.

2016 - hopefully Wentz and Goff continue to grow, I think if they both have a good 2018 (if Wentz comes back healthy)...they will surpass Winston and Mariota (if they haven't already).

2017 - big year for these 3 guys, can Watson stay healthy and continue what he did in 2017? Can Trubisky take the next step? Is Mahomes actually good?

There may be "talent" incoming at the QB position but it also may be too early to tell...it'd be great if all of these guys were viable and will fill in nicely for the potential retirees but pragmatism will say that a certain percent won't pan out.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 am

dm1129 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am It is important to keep in mind that there has been an influx of QB talent into the league recently. The dynamic of having at least a third of the league desperate for a QB does not exist currently. I am not suggesting all 32 teams definitely have their 'franchise' QB, but the situation is not as dire as it was a couple of years ago. Because of this, I think it allows the TB front office more freedom in regard to signing Winston long term. The prospect of Winston not being re-signed should not be viewed as an impossibility. I believe it is likely they will franchise him a la Cousins in 2020 rather than sign him long term or possibly even move on after 2019. A guy like Teddy Bridgewater(among others) is waiting for an opportunity not to mention QBs entering the league in the next two seasons, it will be interesting to watch unfold.
Agreed and this hits my point. Even if I were a fan of a team in DESPERATE need of a QB, I would be disappointed to see them land Winston when there's options like Bridgewater out there. There's more to quarterbacking than a big arm.

Metriculous
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Metriculous » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 pm

None of this matters. He is staying in Tampa Bay. They will sign him.

He looks slim, accurate, and motivated this preseason.

I don't care whether he is headed for everlasting light or eternal flames. Just score more fantasy points.
Eleventeen Time Champion of a Sad Little League
Jealous much? Of course you are.

(Insert Clever Team Name That May Contain Sexual Innuendo)
A bunch of league settings you won't read anyways....numbers and such

QB - A guy with only one or two good years left in the tank
RB1 - A guy who stands charged with several minor crimes (Guilty until proven, right?)
RB2 - Young guy that is only good because of his offensive line and workload
WR1 - A guy whose metrics make up for his stone hands
WR2 - A dude who is probably too short to catch the ball
TE - This guy played basketball, right?
DEF & K - I guess we are still doing this .. :wall: ...

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Metriculous wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 pm None of this matters. He is staying in Tampa Bay. They will sign him.

He looks slim, accurate, and motivated this preseason.

I don't care whether he is headed for everlasting light or eternal flames. Just score more fantasy points.
Agreed. I don't care about any off field issues, just what he can do production wise. To Valhalla's point, a big arm like Winston or Mahomes don't make them more of a QB than Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater. It's why Aaron Rodgers may have a more impressive physical profile than Brady but won't win as many SBs.

Winston's off field activities and on field performances won't make me dislike whatever team he's on, anymore than I disliked whatever team Butt Fumble is on because of his incompetence, or Vick for what he was accused of.

We're at 5 yes I hate Winston votes. Anyone care to explain why?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:17 pm

You are assuming TB not re-signing him is based solely on off the field concerns, it would not be. He is not a very good QB and his stats have been inflated by Mike Evans. Winston's biggest flaws are mental in terms of his ability to read defenses and decision making. That has always been true, and at this point, appears always will be. That is in part why the stupid stuff off the field matters. Winston's decision making is seriously flawed both on and off the field. Without being able to simply chuck a ball in the direction of Mike Evans and have Evans bail him out, Winston's stats would be very different. When he is pressured, he can make some of the most mind-boggling decisions I have ever seen an NFL QB make.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I voted yes. As a player I don't hate him but as a human he is terrible. I don't think he has really matured since his college antics. I don't have much tolerance for guys who treat women like objects. Hate might be the wrong word but I sure don't like or respect him.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 am Agreed and this hits my point. Even if I were a fan of a team in DESPERATE need of a QB, I would be disappointed to see them land Winston when there's options like Bridgewater out there. There's more to quarterbacking than a big arm.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Bridgewater. I didn't care for him as a prospect and in the two years he had as the starter in Minnesota, I wasn't surprised that they cut ties. His fantasy production want good at all and as an NFL QB, I was left unimpressed. I do think he has a role in the league, but I'm not confident it's as a starter. As a Cleveland fan, I'm much happier with the combo of Tyrod and Mayfield than the prospect of someone like Bridgewater. For that matter, I wouldn't care all that much about Winston either but I think he's got a little more potential to hang onto a starting job.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 pm

^ Bridgewater who knows but I thought he looked pretty damn good in the preseason. Mobile in the pocket, smoothly shifting around and launched some dimes.

He's almost playing with that youthful exubrance of a kid whose gotten a 2nd chance and is so happy to be back on the field that he's maximizing every moment.

Again who knows but I thought he looked solid.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:49 pm

I don't hate him, but I wouldn't invest in him, even at bargain prices.
He has the makeup of a career QB2, but with mental instabilities. He seems to be incredible lacking in common sense, and while I don't think he's a "bad" person, I think he's a stupid one, and eventually stupid people do stupid things, some of them bad, and I think he will flame out because of this.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

mullmania wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 pm ^ Bridgewater who knows but I thought he looked pretty damn good in the preseason. Mobile in the pocket, smoothly shifting around and launched some dimes.
I appreciate the feedback. It seems more and more, I'm one of the few who places little value on the preseason. Limited playbooks, mostly backups, etc. The value I see in it is for the players themselves trying to fight to make the 53 and not so much about the production of anyone. I suppose it affords someone like Bridgewater an opportunity to showcase himself but how's he going to look if he were thrown into a regular season game against NFL starters? I'd like to be optimistic but it hasn't been the norm for preseason play to carry over to the regular season. I pay attention to who wins jobs i.e. Tyrell Williams when he was named the starter opposite Keenan Allen, but otherwise haven't found that I've been able to glean much from the games themselves.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 pm

^ I hear you. We are talking about Bridgewater rising from the dead. It's unlikely overall.

That said I do believe in the 'eye test' in preseason. Not that you are gleaning stats from preseason but just judging how someone 'looks' I believe it is more important than the draft, combine, ect

Like we spend all this time researching rookies and then DON'T pay any attention to preseason?

I believe that's short sided. It's not an end all be all but it's information and a piece of the puzzle IMO.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:23 pm

dm1129 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:53 am It is important to keep in mind that there has been an influx of QB talent into the league recently. The dynamic of having at least a third of the league desperate for a QB does not exist currently. I am not suggesting all 32 teams definitely have their 'franchise' QB, but the situation is not as dire as it was a couple of years ago. Because of this, I think it allows the TB front office more freedom in regard to signing Winston long term. The prospect of Winston not being re-signed should not be viewed as an impossibility. I believe it is likely they will franchise him a la Cousins in 2020 rather than sign him long term or possibly even move on after 2019. A guy like Teddy Bridgewater(among others) is waiting for an opportunity not to mention QBs entering the league in the next two seasons, it will be interesting to watch unfold.
There's as big of an outflow as there is an inflow. Peyton dropped. Eli is a shell of a QB. Carson Palmer is out. Brady, Rivers, Big Ben & Brees are all nearing the end.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Based on some of the comments in this thread I can certainly understand why Phaded said what he said.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm Based on some of the comments in this thread I can certainly understand why Phaded said what he said.
I don't. A blanket statement "this community hates player A" can't be right if that position is in the minority in the poll. It's two to one (31-14) in favor of I don't hate Winston. It's the first day, so maybe things change once the season starts and he's playing.

This isn't the first/only blanket statement I've seen where people who use DLF somehow strongly favor or disfavor a certain player. Every single one of those statements is indefensible.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 pm

30% is a huge percentage considering it's for a position as extreme as 'hate', so apparently it isn't bullshit, OP. That's almost 1 in 3 people.

Anyway. I don't 'hate' Winston. But he is panning out at this point as only an above-average QB in the NFL. It's reasonable to expect him to remain a top 15 QB going forward, but so far as I can see after three seasons, he isn't a blue chip. He just isn't that good.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE