John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Ross looked like a stud at minicamp. This is on the heels of a strong showing at OTAs, and of course that offseason puffery from Houshmandzadeh.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard/status/10 ... 1927529475
https://twitter.com/Chris_Roling/status ... 0363722752
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/16 ... fense-.php
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status ... 0610444289
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonCMG/stat ... 1411761157
https://twitter.com/BrandonSaho/status/ ... 9539483648
https://twitter.com/JamesRapien/status/ ... 6586231808

But now that I've posted this thread his thumb will probably explode or something while playing Fortnite.

edit: Forgot to find the tweet noting he was clocked at 24 mph during OTAs. Without pads on, of course.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
Legend
Legend

Re: John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm

So what's the big deal, he caught a couple of passes? Not seeing anything special, here. There's nobody covering him. IDK, I guess it's good that he looks goods in OTA's, but he was way overdrafed by the Bengals IMO. If he can become Kenny Stills I think that's a good thing.
Boycott turcorox911. Do not feed the trolls!

ninotoreS
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am

Just noting his offseason has been going very well through minicamp, dude. He's running with the 1s, consistently making plays, and flashing more than any other WR on the roster (Green gets a pass of course because he doesn't need to flash).
FantasyFreak wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm
There's nobody covering him.
Maybe try actually looking at the links. :|
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 am

The thing is his owners aren't gonna sell at a price that would be worth taking a stab at him. Being a top 10 NFL and dynasty (rookie) draft pick, his value is still somewhat insulated.

That said I like the guy and would buy for a future 2nd if possible.
Team 1
12 Team PPR - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, DST
QB: Stafford/Tyrod/Dalton
RB: L.Bell/Fournette/Crowell/Burkhead/Lynch/Blount/Ivory/J. Samuels
WR: Nuk/Julio/K Allen/Cooper/Fitz/Moore/Gallup//Beasley/Hollins/M Mitchell/JJ Nelson
TE: Kelce/Watson/Andrews/Fleener
DST: Ravens

Team 2
12 Team PPR Superflex - 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 Superflex
QB: Dak/Roethlisberger/Tyrod/Kaep/Rudolph/C. Kelly/Gabbert
RB: K Hunt/Hyde/Royce/A Collins/Crowell/Doug/AP
WR:Cooks/Landry/Alshon/Dez/Moore/Kirk/Golladay/Lockett/Decker/Beasley/Quinn
TE: Henry/Kittle/Burton/Brate/Rico

FantasyFreak
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am

ninotoreS wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am
Just noting his offseason has been going very well through minicamp, dude. He's running with the 1s, consistently making plays, and flashing more than any other WR on the roster (Green gets a pass of course because he doesn't need to flash).
FantasyFreak wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm
There's nobody covering him.
Maybe try actually looking at the links. :|
Yeah, I did. The only two videos you showed were him running a route against nobody. Some reporters said he looked good, and I guess he caught a TD against someone. Some link about his feet being recorded etc. Just don't see a lot to it, that's all. Ross has always looked good in shorts.

ninotoreS
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:44 am

pokerface40 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 am
The thing is his owners aren't gonna sell at a price that would be worth taking a stab at him. Being a top 10 NFL and dynasty (rookie) draft pick, his value is still somewhat insulated.
Yeah.

Some of us play redraft too, though. I posted this in part with that in mind. Ross is practically free in redraft right now, and if he's healthy then I think WR2/3 production in '18 is plausible. Seems like a clear path to targets on that depth-chart.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

IBall2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 am

I just bought him during our rookie draft last week. I sold the 2.04 for a 2019 2nd + John Ross.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 am

rice krispie treats are more durable than that dude - easy pass for a career roster clogger.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion

QB luck wentz foles
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington coutee
RB mixon cohen chubb duke johnson walton wilkins joe williams
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh jacksonville
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 ACDL Champion 4 IN A ROW 5 in 6 years now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 & 2017 WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 startup - Dynasty Civil War- commish
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

kamihamster
Starter
Starter

Postby kamihamster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am

clarion contrarion wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 am
rice krispie treats are more durable than that dude - easy pass for a career roster clogger.
he may have a good year if he manages to stay healthy. but the dude can't even run a 40 without hurting himself. throw in some contact and he's a pass unless i can get him for a mid 2nd. i'd flip him for any first as soon as he has a good game.
NTL (est 2016):
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers
RB: A.Kamara, D.Freeman, K.Drake, K.Johnson, T.Montgomery, K.Ballage, O.Darkwa, E.McGuire, J.Adams, A.Blue, M.Gillislee
WR: J.Gordon, O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, M.Bryant, K.Benjamin, C.Meredith, Ta.Taylor, A.Wilson, D. Chark, Tr.Taylor, J.Moore, Ja.Brown
TE: J.Cook, R.Seals-Jones, A.Shaheen, M.Andrews, B.Jarwin
2019 Picks: 3
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
Home League (est 2014):
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: M.Mariota, J.Goff, P.Mahomes
RB: A.Kamara, D.Cook, J.Mixon, D.Foreman, J.Hill, M.Breida, J.McKissic, J.Conner, J.McNichols
WR: J.Gordon, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, J.Smith-Schuster, Jo.Brown, M.Bryant, M.Mitchell, C.Rodgers, Tw.Taylor, L.Treadwell, C.Henderson, J.Reynolds, J.Malone, C.Hansen, D.Robinson
TE: E.Engram
IDP: Z.Brown, M.Barron, E.Kendricks
DST: DET
K:
2018 Picks: 1.09, 2.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12
2019 Picks: 1, 1, 3, 4, 4, 5
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jason3123
MVP
MVP

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 am

Injuries aside...his upside is pretty limited in that offense unless AJ Green dies. Bengals offense is definitely due for a bounce back this year though. There's been a couple seasons where the WR2 had 60-800 on that team. His only chance at being a top 24 WR though is if he ends up catching a decent amount of touchdowns. His floor is too risky in comparison to the ceiling IMO.

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am

I'll agree with ^Jason here. I think Ross has a chance to be a great player for the Bengals this year, but I doubt he is a great fantasy contributor. There is a lot of talent on that side of the ball for the Bengals and thus a lot of mouths to feed. I'd say he could be like fuller last year where he has a few huge games due to long TDs but far too volatile to start on a weekly basis
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Big Ben, Dalton, Brissett, Josh Allen
RB- Devonta Freeman, MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Lynch, Abdullah, Barber
WR- AJ Green, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Devante Parker, Marqise, Sutton, Trent Taylor, Demarcus Robinson, Fountain, J'Mon Moore
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Orenthal Shames
Captain
Captain

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am

As a lifelong Bengals fan, my issues with Ross come more from being on this team than the player himself. Being a deep threat for Andy Dalton is an ugly place to be. I've watched AJ bail Andy out on awfully placed deep throws year in and year out. I don't doubt Ross could get free with that speed, but unless he has AJ's elite body control to adjust and save a bad throw it won't matter much.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015 Champion
2017 Champion

QB: Big Ben, Rivers
RB: Gurley, Kamara, Gore, Scott, Prosise, Grant
WR: Julio, Keenan, Cooks, Crabtree, Sanders, A.Miller
TE: Kelce, Kittle

2019: 1st, 2nd

slaughterrt
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 pm

To me, he seems like he will be more valuable as a “real life” player than a fantasy contributor. I feel like he is one of those “one trick pony” types who will take the top off of a defense but won’t do much of else. The man is fast, just ask the island that he didn’t get because he didn’t wear Adidas. He will end up as a poor man’s DJax, only with Dalton as his QB.
MODERN DAY GLADIATORS

16 Teams
Start 2 QB
Tiered PPR w/ TE premium
Full IDP w/ balances scoring
53 man rosters

QB: Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Mason Rudolph (R)
RB: Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey, Duke Johnson, LeGarrette Blount, Elijah McGuire, Paul Perkins (IR), Chase Edmonds (R), Roc Thomas (R), Chris Warren (R)
WR: AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Jarvis Landry, Devin Funchess, Nelson Agholor, Jermaine Kearse, ArDarius Stewart, Richie James (R), Simmie Cobbs (R), Byron Pringle (R), Jake Wieneke (R)
TE: Kyle Rudolph, Jesse James, Adam Shaheen, Jordan Akins (R)

DE: Trey Flowers, Alex Okafor, Derek Wolfe, Chris McCain, Shelby Harris
DT: Grady Jarrett, Linval Joseph, Jordan Phillips
LB: Mark Barron, Chandler Jones, Christian Jones, Vic Beasley, Donta Hightower, Jordan Jenkins, Jake Ryan, Todd Davis, Eli Harold, Shaq Barrett, Shaq Griffin (R)
CB: Desmond King, Terrance Mitchell, Josh Normal, Brian Poole
S: Tashaun Gipson, Daniel Sorensen, Kyzir White (R), Tarvarius Moore (R)

ninotoreS
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 am

If nothing else, a healthy John Ross seems like good news for Green. Watching Green get doubled and even tripled constantly last season got real tedious. I doubt it's a coincidence that two of Green's three best seasons to date were when Marvin Jones was effective for Cincy.

Speaking of whom, Marvin Jones in '13 and '15 is a reasonable projection for a healthy Ross. With upside beyond that, of course.
FantasyFreak wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am
Yeah, I did. The only two videos you showed were him running a route against nobody. Some reporters said he looked good, and I guess he caught a TD against someone. Some link about his feet being recorded etc.
Two of the first three links are explicitly about him burning William Jackson (DB with the NFL's lowest versus coverage completion percentage in '17), KeiVarae Russell, and consistently separating from coverage during 11v11 and 7v7. Have you always been this lazy a shitposter? I never noticed before.
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am
Being a deep threat for Andy Dalton is an ugly place to be.
I fear I agree. Can't be worse than Jake Browning, though. I got sick of watching him underthrow Ross all Saturday when studying the latter's tape at this time last year.
flashgordon12 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am
There is a lot of talent on that side of the ball for the Bengals and thus a lot of mouths to feed.
No there ain't.

LaFell graded worse than replacement-level last year, Boyd was replacement-level and a healthy scratch some weeks, and Eifert still isn't healthy (what else isn't new). On paper, Ross' stiffest competition on the target totem-pole below Green are the two top running-backs, and obviously there will be zero overlap in their respective usage in the passing game.

As alluded to above, I think the biggest check on a healthy Ross is Dalton's so-so deep ball. Target opportunity itself shouldn't be a problem at all if Dalton throws 500+ times.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 am

ninotoreS wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 am
If nothing else, a healthy John Ross seems like good news for Green. Watching Green get doubled and even tripled constantly last season got real tedious. I doubt it's a coincidence that two of Green's three best seasons to date were when Marvin Jones was effective for Cincy.
FantasyFreak wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am
Yeah, I did. The only two videos you showed were him running a route against nobody. Some reporters said he looked good, and I guess he caught a TD against someone. Some link about his feet being recorded etc.
Two of the first three links are explicitly about him burning William Jackson (DB with the NFL's lowest versus coverage completion percentage in '17), KeiVarae Russell, and consistently separating from coverage during 11v11 and 7v7. Have you always been this lazy a shitposter? I never noticed before.
Orenthal Shames wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am
Being a deep threat for Andy Dalton is an ugly place to be.
I fear I agree. Can't be worse than Jake Browning, though. I got sick of watching him underthrow Ross all Saturday when studying the latter's tape at this time last year.
flashgordon12 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am
There is a lot of talent on that side of the ball for the Bengals and thus a lot of mouths to feed.
No there ain't.

LaFell graded worse than replacement-level last year, Boyd was replacement-level and a healthy scratch some weeks, and Eifert still isn't healthy. On paper, Ross' stiffest competition on the target totem-pole below Green are the two top running-backs, and there will be zero overlap in their respective usage in the passing game.

As alluded to above, I think the biggest check on a healthy Ross is Dalton's so-so deep ball. Target opportunity itself shouldn't be a problem at all if Dalton throws 500+ times.
Go pound sand. I read everything you posted and it reads like most other crap in the pre-seaon. So you're a big Ross fanboy, good for you I specifically referenced that I supposed it was good that he looked good in OTA's but was referencing that two posts were him running routes versus nobody and I didn't see the big deal about that. Do you always have this much trouble processing information, or do you just start talking crap when it looks like somebody might be a little reticent to agree with your post? There is a ton of fluff in those links, I had already given credence to the fact he supposedly looked good in OTA's according to reporters.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.