Russell Wilson Discussion Thread - Split with Seahawks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Russell Wilson Discussion Thread - Split with Seahawks?

Postby mild » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:37 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:31 am What blows me away, is Seattle chose Pete over Russ. When all is said and done, they basically gave up the same for a box safety as they got for a franchise/SB winning QB. Adams ended up costing a player, the 14th pick in 2021, plus that years 3rd rounder, and the 10th pick in 2022 for Adams and a 4th. Those 1sts would have quite a bit more value than where the Broncos firsts project to be. Sure, maybe the 2nd's make up a bit for it, but it's close enough in total value, that it's a joke. The Adams trade was nothing short of a disaster, and I can't believe ownership is that oblivious as to let a QB like Russ go over a GM and HC who are passed their expiry date. Petey should be chewing gum with his false teeth in a home, not coaching an NFL team that just traded a top end franchise QB.
You're bang on here, FF.

It's going to be seriously interesting to see how long SEA will stick with Pete if this starts going as rough as we think it might.

He might not look like one of the oldest coaches working in any league right now, but at some point you've really got to wonder how much longer a 70 year old guy is going to want to hang around if it starts going south.

And at that point... then what are you left with? Nothing that's future-facing, from the looks thus far.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:12 pm

mild wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:37 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:31 am What blows me away, is Seattle chose Pete over Russ. When all is said and done, they basically gave up the same for a box safety as they got for a franchise/SB winning QB. Adams ended up costing a player, the 14th pick in 2021, plus that years 3rd rounder, and the 10th pick in 2022 for Adams and a 4th. Those 1sts would have quite a bit more value than where the Broncos firsts project to be. Sure, maybe the 2nd's make up a bit for it, but it's close enough in total value, that it's a joke. The Adams trade was nothing short of a disaster, and I can't believe ownership is that oblivious as to let a QB like Russ go over a GM and HC who are passed their expiry date. Petey should be chewing gum with his false teeth in a home, not coaching an NFL team that just traded a top end franchise QB.
You're bang on here, FF.

It's going to be seriously interesting to see how long SEA will stick with Pete if this starts going as rough as we think it might.

He might not look like one of the oldest coaches working in any league right now, but at some point you've really got to wonder how much longer a 70 year old guy is going to want to hang around if it starts going south.

And at that point... then what are you left with? Nothing that's future-facing, from the looks thus far.
I believe the franchise didn't exactly "choose" Pete and John over Russ per se. Russ, just like last offseason, came into the front office and gave them a list of teams he'd waive his no-trade clause to join (while claiming otherwise publicly). He asked to be dealt, because he didn't want to play their preferred style of ball any longer. He was done with them. He was obviously under contract, so they could have declined his request. But how would that be in the teams best interest? Keeping an unhappy player at the most important offensive position so he could stew in his resentment doesn't sound like a winning recipe. Or make for a cohesive locker room.

Jodi Allen could have decided that she needed to keep Russell at all costs and fire both Pete and John, then allow Russ to hand-pick his next head coach to keep him happy. I suppose that could have happened. Similar to how Rodgers got Mike McCarthy canned in Green Bay (and tried to get Gutekunst ousted as well). But even if she had done so, the organization was going to have to sign Russ to an incredibly expensive extension in 2022/2023, and they had already decided that's not how they wanted to do business moving forward.

I'm disappointed the relationship ended this way. I'm also not thrilled with the Jamal Adams trade. But I also think Seattle wanted to get off the ever expanding QB mega-contract train. We'll see how many Super Bowls KC, Cleveland, Buffalo, Denver and like the like win in the next 5 years or so. Part of the reason Brady won as many Super Bowls as he did in New England is because he took below market value compensation to keep the team around him competitive. It seems not many other QB's are interested in following in his footsteps in that regard.

Seattle was a winning team with Russ on his rookie deal. Since his extension they've been a good team, but not great. It may blow up in their collective faces, but they're hitting the reset button and putting more resources into the rest of the team. They believe they can win it all with a competent, not dominant QB at the helm. We'll see if this approach works or not. But even if Russell had stayed in Seattle and finished out his contract, this current team wasn't going anywhere. They have holes at too many positions, and not enough resources to fill them all. Unfortunately, a reset was probably in everyone's best interests.

I'm no fan of Drew Lock, Baker Mayfield, Matt Ryan, or any of the rookie options available in 2022. As painful as it is, I think Seattle's best bet is to roll with what they've got and suffer through a tough season. Then they can look to get their QB of the future in 2023 when they'll have a couple first round picks and more attractive options at the position. Go Mariners! It's all we've got out here for now unfortunately.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:11 pm

If someone higher than Carroll went to Russ and said

"Hey, if we get rid of Pete and hire a new coach and made you a part of that process, would you stay?"

Would he really say no?

It may not have been an ultimatum, but they did effectively choose Caroll over Russ.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:11 pm If someone higher than Carroll went to Russ and said

"Hey, if we get rid of Pete and hire a new coach and made you a part of that process, would you stay?"

Would he really say no?

It may not have been an ultimatum, but they did effectively choose Caroll over Russ.
Not denying this hypothetical could have went down that way. John did have a discussion with Russ though about whether or not he'd be amenable to signing a long term deal to stay in Seattle. It was reported that the response he received was not exactly enthusiastic. Now, had relieving Pete of his coaching duties changed that outcome? Possible, but hard to say with any certainty.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:07 pm

It seems pretty obvious that Seattle's ownership liked Pete C. better than Russ who has wanted out for some time it looks like. Personally, I would have fired the coach after trading their future for a safety. That was almost as bad as Houston trading away Hopkins for a box of rocks.

Not saying moving Russ was the smartest move ever by a long shot but Seattle is well behind the others it seems so they are rebuilding.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:16 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:07 pm It seems pretty obvious that Seattle's ownership liked Pete C. better than Russ who has wanted out for some time it looks like. Personally, I would have fired the coach after trading their future for a safety. That was almost as bad as Houston trading away Hopkins for a box of rocks.

Not saying moving Russ was the smartest move ever by a long shot but Seattle is well behind the others it seems so they are rebuilding.
This friction dates back to 2018 when they tried to trade Russ to CLE for the 1.01.

When you compound this flirtation with a rookie QB, the "lack of protection" and SEA refusing to let Russ run the offense he wants to.. there were more issues between Russ and SEA than just Pete.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:21 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:16 pm
Ice wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:07 pm It seems pretty obvious that Seattle's ownership liked Pete C. better than Russ who has wanted out for some time it looks like. Personally, I would have fired the coach after trading their future for a safety. That was almost as bad as Houston trading away Hopkins for a box of rocks.

This friction dates back to 2018 when they tried to trade Russ to CLE for the 1.01.

When you compound this flirtation with a rookie QB, the "lack of protection" and SEA refusing to let Russ run the offense he wants to.. there were more issues between Russ and SEA than just Pete.
Yes, it sounds like they were all in on Josh Allen back then.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:00 pm

I was on this too but Pete Carroll the coach is someone I really underestimated

The good news for Denver is that Russell Wilson is under contract for 6 more years. The team still has plenty of time to figure this out. :dance:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:40 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:00 pm I was on this too but Pete Carroll the coach is someone I really underestimated

The good news for Denver is that Russell Wilson is under contract for 6 more years. The team still has plenty of time to figure this out. :dance:
They have a potential out in the contract in 2026... I would not be surprised if they end up using it between now and then, because at this rate they're going to be due to have some pretty high draft picks in future drafts. They have their own picks back from 2024 onwards.

I'll plus +1 to underestimating Carroll. I did really enjoy a lot of the Twitter content in the offseason along the lines of "I don't think Seattle fans have grasped exactly how down-bad they are yet"... I'll admit, I thought the same.

Geno Smith, destroyer of worlds, top 5 efficient QB, highest completion percentage over expected. What a time to be alive.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:49 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:40 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:00 pm I was on this too but Pete Carroll the coach is someone I really underestimated

They have a potential out in the contract in 2026... I would not be surprised if they end up using it between now and then, because at this rate they're going to be due to have some pretty high draft picks in future drafts. They have their own picks back from 2024 onwards.

I'll plus +1 to underestimating Carroll. I did really enjoy a lot of the Twitter content in the offseason along the lines of "I don't think Seattle fans have grasped exactly how down-bad they are yet"... I'll admit, I thought the same.

Geno Smith, destroyer of worlds, top 5 efficient QB, highest completion percentage over expected. What a time to be alive.
I'm telling you guys, Pete Carroll, for all of his flaws, has the greatest ability to get the most out of what he has. Not the best schemer, play caller, nor team builder. But he has 53 guys that will run through a brick wall for him. I think if Pete wants Carroll as HC still he needs better coordinators that have a larger responsibility in scheming the team, and a GM that can build a roster with guys that have the right balance of talent, scheme fit, and a personality fit with Carroll.

Risky business keeping Pete, but you might just get an odds defying spectacle of a year like we are seeing unfold before us.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:12 pm . Go Mariners! It's all we've got out here for now unfortunately.
Well, that's over now.

On the bright side, the Seahawks are playing better (at least on offense) than anyone would have thought. I don't know if you can explain the defensive issues by losing Adams in Week 1, it really changed what they had hoped to do. Taysom Hill running all over them last week was painful to watch.

Funny both narratives most of expected to play out have gone the opposite way. Russ is playing poorly in Denver, is injured, and getting roasted by the fanbase. That honeymoon didn't last long.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:45 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:56 pm Funny both narratives most of expected to play out have gone the opposite way. Russ is playing poorly in Denver, is injured, and getting roasted by the fanbase. That honeymoon didn't last long.
It didn't even survive Week One :lol:

One of those "match made in hell" Weddings that we all know and love. It's a shocker.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:52 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:45 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:56 pm Funny both narratives most of expected to play out have gone the opposite way. Russ is playing poorly in Denver, is injured, and getting roasted by the fanbase. That honeymoon didn't last long.
It didn't even survive Week One :lol:

One of those "match made in hell" Weddings that we all know and love. It's a shocker.
Saw this comment on Twitter and it's perfect:

Russ is like that guy from Rataouille who can't cook and Hackett is like the rat except he can't cook either and the kitchen is on fire

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:34 am

I think it's becoming more and more apparent that the Hawks completely jobbed the Broncos.

At least Russ's catch phrase "let's ride" will work for marketing gimmicks in Broncos country.......until he gets ridden out of town. :lol:

It may soon change to "let's hide".
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:35 am

Only 4 more years of guarantees? 5? Yikes