Sell me on Calvin Ridley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Sell me on Calvin Ridley

Postby darkadun » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Smus wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 pm I thought Ridley was good, not elite, but I felt his QB play at Alabama held him back a fair amount.

To me, I've traded for Ridley knowing full well he's a WR2/3 in Atlanta *right now* and that's fine by me. I've got OBJ, Tyreek and DT to be the top guys.

My thought is this, Julio will hit 30 before the start of this season, and only has 2 more years of dead cap money before he can be cut for nothing. Sanu has another 2 years before his cap number is minimal. Dynasty (to me) isn't about year 1 production, it's about long term potential and I think Ridley has it in Atlanta.

Matt Ryan is locked in long term in Atlanta. Ridley could be the second coming of Roddy White...and we know how that worked out.

To me, the landing spot is ideal, draft capital is huge... taking him as your next #1 WR is a mistake. Taking him as a potential WR2 with upside is the way to look at it.
Boom, this is the truth. I dont expect him to be Julio, but If he can turn into a Golden Tate type and be a top 15-20 wr after drafting him in 1.08-1.14, that’s a great player to have on your roster. IMO
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Smus wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 pm I thought Ridley was good, not elite, but I felt his QB play at Alabama held him back a fair amount.

To me, I've traded for Ridley knowing full well he's a WR2/3 in Atlanta *right now* and that's fine by me. I've got OBJ, Tyreek and DT to be the top guys.

My thought is this, Julio will hit 30 before the start of this season, and only has 2 more years of dead cap money before he can be cut for nothing. Sanu has another 2 years before his cap number is minimal. Dynasty (to me) isn't about year 1 production, it's about long term potential and I think Ridley has it in Atlanta.

Matt Ryan is locked in long term in Atlanta. Ridley could be the second coming of Roddy White...and we know how that worked out.

To me, the landing spot is ideal, draft capital is huge... taking him as your next #1 WR is a mistake. Taking him as a potential WR2 with upside is the way to look at it.
I don't think Julio will be cut in two years, haha . . . Wouldn't shock me if he beats out Sanu as wr2 there though (I still want to see Ridley in the slot for the majority of his snaps, which Sanu plays a lot of as well)
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:37 am
jaykay22 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 pm I think there's a lot of people that are letting the hype created around Ridley define their view and expectations of his. People who bought into the "Amari Cooper's successor" hype are now doing a 180 as they are upset to find out that they bought into unfounded hype, as Cooper and Ridley are nothing alike. People who were never huge Ridley fans are using the fact that he's not an elite athlete or seemingly surefire prospect to dog him and pile on post-combine, despite him being a good football player yet not a surefire prospect.

I don't agree with OP's knock on Ridley about his late breakout because he's a bit of a special case as he was something like a 20 year old freshman. Obviously that's not working in his favor, but if a guy didn't step foot on a college field until he was almost 20 years old of course his breakout age isn't going to be great. But he did have a pretty good freshman year, so he came into his own in the college game quickly.

I do agree with previous posts in this same thread that think he's going to be a WR2-WR3 in the league. Ridley reminds me of a hybrid between Stevie Johnson and John Brown. He's an older, slightly-built prospect who will be a 24 year old rookie, much like Brown. Like Brown he's got good hands and can take the top off of a defense. Unlike Brown, he's not AS explosive, however he's got a more convincing college experience (SEC/Bama vs Pittsburgh State/DII for Smokey). Like Johnson (once he came into his own in the league a few seasons in), his route-running can put dudes on skates and make DB's look foolish, and he seems potentially effective at moving the chains for an offense as he's pretty solid at all 3 levels of the field. He's a bit bigger and less sudden than Brown, and he's a bit smaller and faster than Johnson.

Is Ridley worth a top 6 pick? Well, it depends. Ridley on say, the Saints opposite of Michael Thomas with Brees slinging it? Sure. Ridley on the Colts opposite of TY with a healthy Luck? Absolutely. Ridley on the Ravens with Flacco? Ehhhhh, probably not.

John Brown's best year to date for his career: 65/1003/7
Stevie Johnson's best years to date for his career: 82/1073/10, 76/1004/7, 79/10046/6

If he lands in an ideal situation, I'm comfortable nabbing him as early as 1.03.
If he lands in a good but not great situation, I'm comfortable drafting him at 1.05 and later.
If he lands in a terrible situation, I'm comfortable drafting him at 1.08 and later.

FWIW he is my WR3:

1. Sutton
2. Miller
3. Ridley
4. Washington
5. ESB
Miller at 2, and no DJ in your top 5? Wow. Amazing how differently some people see things. Not trashing your evaluation, but I have Sutton 1 and 2, and no Miller in top 5. I'll do the courtesy of watching a bit more of him. He was super productive, but is older and although somewhat athletic, as well as being undersized. What specifically do you like about his tape/profile that has him that high?
I have Miller as my number 1. This year is fun because how varied the the rankings are.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 pm

lic217 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 pm
jaykay22 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 pm I think there's a lot of people that are letting the hype created around Ridley define their view and expectations of his. People who bought into the "Amari Cooper's successor" hype are now doing a 180 as they are upset to find out that they bought into unfounded hype, as Cooper and Ridley are nothing alike. People who were never huge Ridley fans are using the fact that he's not an elite athlete or seemingly surefire prospect to dog him and pile on post-combine, despite him being a good football player yet not a surefire prospect.

I don't agree with OP's knock on Ridley about his late breakout because he's a bit of a special case as he was something like a 20 year old freshman. Obviously that's not working in his favor, but if a guy didn't step foot on a college field until he was almost 20 years old of course his breakout age isn't going to be great. But he did have a pretty good freshman year, so he came into his own in the college game quickly.

I do agree with previous posts in this same thread that think he's going to be a WR2-WR3 in the league. Ridley reminds me of a hybrid between Stevie Johnson and John Brown. He's an older, slightly-built prospect who will be a 24 year old rookie, much like Brown. Like Brown he's got good hands and can take the top off of a defense. Unlike Brown, he's not AS explosive, however he's got a more convincing college experience (SEC/Bama vs Pittsburgh State/DII for Smokey). Like Johnson (once he came into his own in the league a few seasons in), his route-running can put dudes on skates and make DB's look foolish, and he seems potentially effective at moving the chains for an offense as he's pretty solid at all 3 levels of the field. He's a bit bigger and less sudden than Brown, and he's a bit smaller and faster than Johnson.

Is Ridley worth a top 6 pick? Well, it depends. Ridley on say, the Saints opposite of Michael Thomas with Brees slinging it? Sure. Ridley on the Colts opposite of TY with a healthy Luck? Absolutely. Ridley on the Ravens with Flacco? Ehhhhh, probably not.

John Brown's best year to date for his career: 65/1003/7
Stevie Johnson's best years to date for his career: 82/1073/10, 76/1004/7, 79/10046/6

If he lands in an ideal situation, I'm comfortable nabbing him as early as 1.03.
If he lands in a good but not great situation, I'm comfortable drafting him at 1.05 and later.
If he lands in a terrible situation, I'm comfortable drafting him at 1.08 and later.

FWIW he is my WR3:

1. Sutton
2. Miller
3. Ridley
4. Washington
5. ESB
Miller at 2, and no DJ in your top 5? Wow. Amazing how differently some people see things. Not trashing your evaluation, but I have Sutton 1 and 2, and no Miller in top 5. I'll do the courtesy of watching a bit more of him. He was super productive, but is older and although somewhat athletic, as well as being undersized. What specifically do you like about his tape/profile that has him that high?
I have Miller as my number 1. This year is fun because how varied the the rankings are.
I also have Miller as my WR1 this draft. When I watch his tape I see flashes of OBJ potential. Whether he can put it together on the field or not, I guess we'll see. I don't care so much about his age, and I think he went to a perfect situation. Just to be clear, I'm not saying he's going to match OBJ's level, I just see flashes of him looking like he could be "That Guy".
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat May 12, 2018 8:00 pm

GLSmk wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 pm
lic217 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 pm

I also have Miller as my WR1 this draft. When I watch his tape I see flashes of OBJ potential. Whether he can put it together on the field or not, I guess we'll see. I don't care so much about his age, and I think he went to a perfect situation. Just to be clear, I'm not saying he's going to match OBJ's level, I just see flashes of him looking like he could be "That Guy".
I can say confidently that I see almost nothing in Miller's game that reminds me of OBJ other than the occasional one-handed catch. He'll never come close to dominating like OBJ.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 pm

jaykay22 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 pm, as Cooper and Ridley are nothing alike.
This is hilarious to me. Please tell me which player I'm describing:

dominated the SEC as a FR
stands 6'1"
has ~31.5" arms
has both great straight line speed and agility but limited explosion/jump
can play inside and outside
struggles with physicality
struggles with drops
wins at all 3 levels of the field
advanced route running + route tree
plug and play starter
1st round pedigree

If I don't give you their age or weight you can't actually tell them apart as prospects.

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Ridley is gonna surprise a lot of people this year and in his career which is gonna be short cause he is so old. In all honestly dude has the smoothest routes I have ever seen and I’m gonna include that the dude runs a 4.43 40 yd dash... his floor alone is a high end WR3, with the patient all to easily be a high end WR2
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 pm
jaykay22 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 pm, as Cooper and Ridley are nothing alike.

stands 6'1"
has ~31.5" arms
struggles with drops
plug and play starter
1st round pedigree

If I don't give you their age or weight you can't actually tell them apart as prospects.
and if Kupp played at Alabama he would have been a first round pick too...
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Sun May 13, 2018 10:42 pm

bsp27 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 pm

stands 6'1"
has ~31.5" arms
struggles with drops
plug and play starter
1st round pedigree

Really?

The dude has the crispiest routes I have ever seen and can take the top off a defense
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Rosenbluu wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:42 pm

stands 6'1"
has ~31.5" arms
struggles with drops
plug and play starter
1st round pedigree

Really?

The dude has the crispiest routes I have ever seen and can take the top off a defense
Ur talking about Ridley right? Well, for being under 190 lbs, he is not extremely fast. Of course his routes are 'crisp', he has had 3 extra years to hone his route running.
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 am

stands 6'1"
has ~31.5" arms
struggles with drops
plug and play starter
1st round pedigree

Kupp can't run a 4.4 30

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 am

Cooper & Ridley both stayed in university for 3 years, Kupp played for 4 years. I'm not sure how much practice you get in High School to build your route tree.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:42 am

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/6/8/ ... vin-ridley

Ridley getting praise from WR coach (video included in article)

Going to be interesting to see if Ridley climbs in value over the course of the summer (pretty cheap atm in many MFL10s)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:02 am

It looks more and more likely that Julio Jones will hold out on training camp. This surely means a jump in Calvin Ridley's value and prospects for 2018. He will get more reps, more looks, more focus from the entire team. Is this a great situation getting even greater? I certainly think so.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

[quote=bsp27 post_id=1462793

Ur talking about Ridley right? Well, for being under 190 lbs, he is not extremely fast. Of course his routes are 'crisp', he has had 3 extra years to hone his route running.
[/quote]

I've just read through the whole thread and have seen a few times this 3 extra years argument. Could you elaborate here? As far as I can tell he was in high school until age 20. I'm not certain he is getting any professional coaching and high level training before he was 20 and went to Bama. But maybe I'm wrong. Otherwise I'd say his age is not too related to his skill level.