The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!

Will Odell be traded?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 62

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am The Rams thing is really interesting. The Steelers have shown a top RB and WR can co-exist and flourish, but the Rams have a much better D, so Odell would have to eat well in the first 3 quarters of games, because the 4th quarter would be Gurley's. The interesting thing though, is the money. If the Rams are serious about acquiring OBJ, they need to have an extension in place if they are going to give up the assets required to acquire him. So lets say 18 million a year. What does that do to the idea of resigning Aaron Donald? They would almost certainly not be able to keep Peters after his rookie deal is up if they get OBJ and want to keep Donald. Would it mean losing Donald long term if they get OBJ? Maybe the feel WR is the better long term position to invest in. WR's are probably more bang for the buck through their second contracts. As good as Suh was, was he worth his contract with Miami? Marcel Dareus, Albert Haynesworth are a few names at DT that were disasters in their 2nd contract. Big guys who play in the trenches can easily lose a bit quicker due to weight (knees etc) and wear and tear of the position. Donald is pretty fit (doesn't carry a ton of extra weight), but what is the move for the Rams if they do acquire OBJ? Can they keep Donald as well. If they did, it would certainly eat into their depth over the next few years.
Good points, and questions raised. You'd have to believe the Rams have a plan of action if they were to make a move for OBJ, but too many hefty 2nd contracts can cause some real issues for a team. Seattle is a good example of that in LA's division. It does feel like the Rams are going all-in for 2018 with the FA signings they made. But Suh's money will go back into the pot in 2019 if they choose not to bring him back, so that's some relief.

Haynesworth is definitely a cautionary tale, but I would be surprised if they let Donald get away.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The official "Where will Odell play next year?" thread. Post inside your guess.

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 pm I suppose so, but when it comes down to football players are largely unaffected, as it is commonplace for them to be the centre of talks by drones like Skip Bayless. The media doesn't dictate what the Giants do. They create a perception for the fan. Media excels at telling you what your opinion should be (and I'm not saying you specifically). I think the larger question is the Giants GM, who cut bait with Josh Norman, and if he wants to play the game with OBJ, or if he wants to put his stamp on this team by making a move to ship him. I do think it would have to pass through ownership, though. Regardless of NY or LA, OBJ is still an supreme talent on the field, and that's what really matter for FF.
I think it's more interesting because the media's narrative is matching the opinion of Giants ownership. They are clearly tired of his on/off-field antics. They may want to keep Beckham, but I don't think they trust him at the number he's looking for. Also, Gettleman knows better than most GM's that having or not having a star WR doesn't determine the quality of team. So, the opportunity to get a first round pick in a package would be appealing for a team that really needs work on both sides of the ball.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:53 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 pm I suppose so, but when it comes down to football players are largely unaffected, as it is commonplace for them to be the centre of talks by drones like Skip Bayless. The media doesn't dictate what the Giants do. They create a perception for the fan. Media excels at telling you what your opinion should be (and I'm not saying you specifically). I think the larger question is the Giants GM, who cut bait with Josh Norman, and if he wants to play the game with OBJ, or if he wants to put his stamp on this team by making a move to ship him. I do think it would have to pass through ownership, though. Regardless of NY or LA, OBJ is still an supreme talent on the field, and that's what really matter for FF.
I think it's more interesting because the media's narrative is matching the opinion of Giants ownership. They are clearly tired of his on/off-field antics. They may want to keep Beckham, but I don't think they trust him at the number he's looking for. Also, Gettleman knows better than most GM's that having or not having a star WR doesn't determine the quality of team. So, the opportunity to get a first round pick in a package would be appealing for a team that really needs work on both sides of the ball.
I think it is ownership that makes the ultimate decision. No way Gettleman can do this without Mara's consent. You may be right about the "antics", but he's never missed time for his off the field stuff. Contract hold outs are a common thing, especially in this situation. Obviously the Giants have to weigh out the pros and cons of either side, and make a decision. If a trade happens, I look to see it happen before the draft, or during the first round. I don't think the Giants make a trade if it's an unknown position in the 2019 draft.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm

skip wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am
UATahoe wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am I think people are too hung up on the Giants saying the price is 2 firsts. That's just as much of a negotiating tactic as players threatening to sit out and not play under the franchise tag. LOL. Of course they will shoot high but we all know the price would be less.
I doubt anyone will give up a single 1st. This isn't fantasy football. I'd expect the price to be more like a pair of 2nds and possibly an additional piece, like a 5th rounder. Overall, I'm not anticipating a trade happening but if it does, they aren't getting a 1st.
That is why he won’t be traded. Not sure why the Giants would trade someone they drafted at 12 and is Top 5 at his position for 2 2nd rders.