The Art of the Dynasty Deal (or: How I Landed Saquon Barkley)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

The Art of the Dynasty Deal (or: How I Landed Saquon Barkley)

Postby drbuttermaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:40 pm

I am aware there are a ton of first-overall and Barkley threads on here. I am posting another one in the hopes I can pay forward some of the insight and advice I receive from this forum. If nothing else, I think newer owners could find something worthwhile in it. Also, I want to brag about it a little bit, and my wife and daughter could not care less.

In a 14-team TE-2PPR league (39-player offseason roster, 8 IDP starters). I completed a trade for the 1.1 that was more than a year in the making. The end result:

I turned:

My 2018 first (8th overall)
My 2019 first
Jack Doyle
Martellus Bennett
Vernon Davis

Into:

1st overall
15th overall
19th overall
24th overall
2019 second (probably mid-to-late)

As an unabashed Penn State homer, Barkley has been on my radar since he set foot on campus. You can imagine my dismay when he was the consensus top prospect heading into his third year out of high school. Not only did that kill any chance I could get him on the cheap like I did Robinson and Godwin, it meant that his value would only increase with every game he played without injury.

My team is solid and deep (I won it all two seasons ago), so the odds of me getting the top pick via my record were virtually nil. I set about hoarding the draft capital I would need to get him, starting with the assumption that my firsts this year and next would be included in the deal, and that they would not be enough.

As our 2017 cut deadline approached (early April) I was in talks win another contending owner who was looking for a TE. I had Martellus Bennett. I was attached to him because I bought him on the cheap in our 2011 start-up, and he was coming off his second-best season, but I needed to give in order to get. I was able to deal him for a 2018 first.

Fast forward to the 2017 preseason. Jordan Reed’s owner wanted insurance and I had Vernon Davis (whom I overpaid for with a second-rounder during my Super Bowl run in 2015). I got back Marcus Peters.

As the 2017 season came down the home stretch, I shopped Jack Doyle (grabbed off waivers in 2015) on the open market. In a 14-team TE-premium league he is a decent start and the highest bid was a 2019 first and what ended up being the 24th overall in the upcoming draft.

Now I was headed into the offseason with the two firsts I acquired along with my firsts in 2018 and 2019. The owner of the 1.1 is in the middle of a massive rebuild. I told him to take his best offer so far and add whatever would make it a snap-accept. He came back with those four firsts, Aaron Donald and Marcus Peters for the first, 15th and 29th overall along with a 2019 second.

Once I knew I was in the ballpark with the capital I had been hoarding, I tried to shave the price down a bit with a counter that dropped Donald and asked for the 19th instead of the 29th. He accepted.

Final deal:

1.5, 1.8, two '19 firsts and Marcus Peters

for

1.1, 2.1, 2.5 and a '19 second

I finally had the draft rights to the rookie I have coveted most in 11 years playing dynasty, and it basically only cost me my first this year, a round swap next year and Jack Doyle (with the 2.1 and 2.5 pretty much balancing out his value).

I got way more excited about it than a grown man should.

Too long, didn’t read: if you want to be in a position to buy the players you want on draft day, constantly pay attention to the wire, be aware of other owners’ needs and take advantage of sell-high opportunities.

Edit: clarified the final deal as I did not make it apparent in my first attempt.
Last edited by drbuttermaker on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: The Art of the Dynasty Deal (or: How I Landed Saquon Barkley)

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm

For reference, I had to trade 1.03, a 2019 1st and Derrick Henry, in a Superflex, for 1.01. And even that was a little light, imho, as I would have paid a 1.11 as well, if needed.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm For reference, I had to trade 1.03, a 2019 1st and Derrick Henry, in a Superflex, for 1.01. And even that was a little light, imho, as I would have paid a 1.11 as well, if needed.
He got the 1.5, 1.8 and two '19 firsts. I am not in any Superflex leagues, but that seems comparable to 1.3, a '19 first and Henry.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm

drbuttermaker wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm For reference, I had to trade 1.03, a 2019 1st and Derrick Henry, in a Superflex, for 1.01. And even that was a little light, imho, as I would have paid a 1.11 as well, if needed.
He got the 1.5, 1.8 and two '19 firsts. I am not in any Superflex leagues, but that seems comparable to 1.3, a '19 first and Henry.
I don't know if it's my lack of sleep from the last few days, or staring at a screen for the last 3 hours, but I don't see anywhere in that where it actually mentioned what the trade itself was, or what picks you acquired. I saw one point where you said you flipped Martellus for an 18 1st, but I don't see where it says what pick that ended up being.
My apologies if it's listed and I'm just not seeing it, but from what it looks like from your write-up is that you gave up the 1.08, 19 1st, and a few TE's for the 1.01 and other picks.

once again, probably just a combo of lack of sleep and looking at a screen too long.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 pm

How to get Saquon cheap

Have a taco in your league

The end
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:43 pm

GLSmk wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm I don't know if it's my lack of sleep from the last few days, or staring at a screen for the last 3 hours, but I don't see anywhere in that where it actually mentioned what the trade itself was, or what picks you acquired.
Apparently you do not have the market cornered on lack of sleep and screen fatigue. I did not make the final deal clear. Hopefully my edit fixes that.

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm

During the 2016 season I traded away AJG (the week before he tore his hammy), frank gore, and Olsen to an aging contending team for Nuk, 2017 1st, and his 2018 1st.

His team was riding on the heals of an aging D Murray and Jordy, so I too took a long term interest.

His team finished last this year.

So AJG/Gore/Olsen for Nuk/Barkley/2017 1.9 (Engram)

Send me to N Korea to start these negotiations
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I think some of these trades are kinda questionable but it really just boils down to trading players you don't need when their value is highest which is fantasy trading 101.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Now thats planning ahead. Having the personal connection also makes the pull even harder. My story is much simpler. I blew my startup last season price enforcing on Dez and Jordy which screwed my budget for the remainder or the draft. After 3 weeks of getting the doors blown off my team, I traded away Dez for Derrick Henry. Then as insurance to guarantee I get 1.01, I flipped Derrick Henry for his 1st + Doctson to another crappy team I knew would challenge me for the 1.01 (he was 7th at the time). His 1st ended up 1.02.

Tldr.... I traded away old fogies to ensure I got Barkley. I fell in love vs Iowa when he made that dead leg stutter on the side line and the LB flew in front of him out of bounds.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

I offered 1.03,Hyde or Ingram, 3rd,4th and a 2019 1st,2nd,3rd,4th for 1.01 and was told i needed to add Corey Davis

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:15 pm

KingsKing wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm I offered 1.03,Hyde or Ingram, 3rd,4th and a 2019 1st,2nd,3rd,4th for 1.01 and was told i needed to add Corey Davis
Don't be so cheap, just do it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Too long, didn’t read: if you want to be in a position to buy the players you want on draft day, constantly pay attention to the wire, be aware of other owners’ needs and take advantage of sell-high opportunities.
...or join a league of bozos and prosper.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:38 pm
...or join a league of bozos and prosper.
I think the league has a good slate of owners, so it is an honor to have someone with enough fantasy knowledge to consider them "bozos" take the time to lower himself to read this thread. Thank you.

From now on I will make a point to read all your posts. I look forward to the learning experience.