Lamar Jackson as a WR

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lamar Jackson as a WR

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Saw some teams were trying him out at WR. Thoughts?

Kinda annoys me because it’s so often backfires - especially in a QB—>WR type deal. I get that he is incredibly athletic. But athletics without form will only get you so far. It’s so difficult to transition to another position once entering the nfl.

Notable “recent” QBs who have switched:
Terrelle Pryor - one good season but the jury is still out
Julian Edelman - average WR that got made by Brady
Brad Smith - personally I liked him but was JAG
Josh Cribbs - pretty good career as a returner
Antwaan Randle El - another pretty good returner
Brian Mitchell - best on the list easily, and switched to a RB from QB. 2nd behind Jerry Rice in all purpose yards, but primarily a returner as well.

I gotta say I am not really impressed by any of these former QBs transitioning to a true WR (although they can certainly become solid punk/kick returners).

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Re: Lamar Jackson as a WR

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:47 pm

It’s ridiculous that they would ask him that.

He’s going to get drafted as a QB if your not in position to do that don’t insult him that way.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 pm

I have no idea if Lamar will pan out, and I think I'd only feel confident drafting him in rookie drafts should he go to an open-minded organization/OC/HC (probably have that wishlist for any prospect lol, but think Doug Pederson w/ Wentz vs. Fisher w/ Goff)

If I'm him, there's no way I'm doing WR drills. There are enough teams out there that would risk their jobs on him as a QB.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm

He's already come out and said he won't do the WR drills at the combine. It's QB or bust for Jackson apparently.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

It does just seem like a joke to bring him in as a WR. Seems like an insult to all WRs to just assume that an athletic QB can just come in and automatically be good at running WR drills.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm

It’s all a media created story Jackson came out and said no one asked him to do the WR drills. Just another example of media trying to start a race war for their profit :thumbdown:

Heres the quote
“No team has asked me to play wide receiver,” Jackson said. “I don’t even know where it come from. I’m strictly quarterback. Yes, sir.”

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm It’s all a media created story Jackson came out and said no one asked him to do the WR drills. Just another example of media trying to start a race war for their profit :thumbdown:

Heres the quote
“No team has asked me to play wide receiver,” Jackson said. “I don’t even know where it come from. I’m strictly quarterback. Yes, sir.”
wat
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Outrage sells especially race-fueled outrage
Last edited by Nanananananana on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm Outrage sells especially racefulled outrage
that much I get, it's the connection between asking a guy to play WR instead of QB and race that I'm not getting here
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 pm

If you read any comments on Twitter or forums on Jackson being asked to do WR drills a lot of people see it as racist. It’s been a hot topic so to see stories come out on a site like CBS Sports, that you would think might have higher standards, with this fake news just for clicks is ridiculous!

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Don't forget about Braxton Miller.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Also according to this article both Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin were former QBs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5328 ... fl-history
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm Also according to this article both Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin were former QBs.

The jury is still out on Braxton Miller, but if it’s true about Ward and Boldin being former QBs, then those are two guys that made the transition pretty well.

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:00 pm
ArrylT wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm Also according to this article both Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin were former QBs.

The jury is still out on Braxton Miller, but if it’s true about Ward and Boldin being former QBs, then those are two guys that made the transition pretty well.
Ward threw like 100 passes his soph year but was almost exclusively a wr his Jr and sr years. Lots of guys get recruited to college as qbs and make the switch to another position while in college. Both jordan reed and trey burton were both recruited to Florida as qbs for instance

If youre looking for the most successful qb to we conversion after moving to the NFL look no further than Freddie Solomon

Edit: Anquan Boldin threw 16 passes total at FSU, all his sr year

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 am

Nanananananana wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 pm If you read any comments on Twitter or forums on Jackson being asked to do WR drills a lot of people see it as racist. It’s been a hot topic so to see stories come out on a site like CBS Sports, that you would think might have higher standards, with this fake news just for clicks is ridiculous!
There's nothing remotely racist about asking Lamar Jackson to be a WR