Need some advice and thoughts on John Ross Please vote

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Ross or pick 14

John Ross
28%
Pick 14
72%

Total votes: 65

Daddyburleson86
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need some advice and thoughts on John Ross Please vote

Postby Daddyburleson86 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Looking at your team I would take Ross

topher
All Pro
All Pro

Postby topher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Ross, for the same draft pedigree chances as mentioned before.

Bisquiteen Trisket
Starter
Starter

Postby Bisquiteen Trisket » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 am

bot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 pm
Bisquiteen Trisket wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm I’ll take Ross. He barely saw the field his rookie season so I’m not ready to judge or call him a bust. Historically receivers with high draft pedigree have a lower bust rate. Combine that with it usually taking 2-3 to develop and adjust to being a WR in the NFL and I can see a lot of people getting burned by jumping ship now.

2 examples of recent WRs who we all gave up on that are now valuable assets: Davante Adams (went from “complete bust/droppable” to a Top20 asset) and Nelson Agholor (from “complete bust/droppable” to Top50ish).
WRs taken in 1st round in the two years previous to last year:

2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell
2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Devante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshard Perriman, Phil Dorsett

Not tons to get too excited about. I don't think draft capital is much of an indication of anything exactly other than the willingness for a team to not admit their mistake as quick for risk of looking silly to ownership and the fanbase. If I can sell Ross now for something decent I will and use that dart to try and hit on something else. If I am wrong, I am wrong but I don't think it's the type of trade you would ever really regret that much as it's not like you are moving an Odell Beckham type player. At best he turns into a WR2 on his team and in today's NFL you can find guys like that (see Marvin Jones, Sterling Shepard, Robert Woods (even tho he is their WR1), etc.) for fairly cheap.
I respectfully disagree. I think there is plenty to get excited about, especially if you look back more than 2 years. Amari is still a big time dynasty asset. His stock is down but should rebound. Not a bust. Others who have already been given longer to prove themselves than Ross and are still regarded as valueable in dynasty: Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Agholor, Parker.

And the further you look back, the more you realize draft pedigree means something. Here’s a link to all WRs drafted over the past decade+. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... osition=WR
A lot of names stand outin round 1...Julio, Dez, Calvin, Sammy, Evans, OBJ, KB, Cooks, Nuk. All first rounders. Now, I’m not comparing Ross to that group. He’s not as good. But Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Agholor, Parker? I think Ross is still just as much in the mix as those guys. We literally don’t know what he is yet, so it’s silly to write him off.

jpusmc0311
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jpusmc0311 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:45 am

I'll go with the pick.
Team 1: 10 TEAM PPR. 0.2 PPC 2QB 3RB 4WR 1TE 1FLEX 2IDP 1 D/ST 1K
QBs - Bridgewater, Cousins, Darnold, Rudolph
RBs - Miles Sanders, Ronald Jones, Mixon, Fournette, Mike Davis, Gio Bernard, T. Coleman, Damien Williams, Love
WRs - DHop, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, DJ Chark, Beckham Jr, DJ Moore, Sutton, Kirk, Edelman, Tre'Quan Smith, Anthony Miller, Van Jefferson, Jalen Guyton, Peoples-Jones, Marcus Johnson
TEs- Kittle, Hockenson, Tonyan, Njoku, Trautman
IDP: Lavonte David, Roquan Smith
K: Greg Zuerlein

Team 2: 12 Team PPR 1QB, 3RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX
QBs - Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Lock, Eason
RBs - Barkley, Cook, Swift, Cam Akers, Mack, K. Johnson,
WRs - Michael Thomas, A Robinson II, Chark Jr, Tee Higgins, Woods, Sutton, B Edwards, Hardman, Zach Pascal, Van Jefferson, Berrios, Gandy-Golden, Tyler Johnson, P Campbell
TE - Fant, Ebron, Kmet

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 am

i think its funny/peculiar to see how fast people are to dismiss John Ross. I would prefer Ross unless you can hold out till closer to draft time to see if you have a target or two you like better in that 14th pick range. Looks like you own the pick and i would bet you could still offer that deal with a chance of getting accepted come draft day
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:22 am

He was a first round pick and they threw him out there before he was truly healthy
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

FKC
All Pro
All Pro

Postby FKC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am

RB6 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am Easily the pick.
X2. I’ve never been a fan. I would get what you can and run.
FKC or subliminally known as KFC
“It’s finger lickin’ good!” -The Colonel
29 Act 5TS 10IR
10 team(0.5 ppr) - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex(WR/RB/TE)(SF in 2024)
Champ '19, '20, ‘21, ‘22
QB: Herbert, Tua, Carr, Ridder, Stroud
RB: D Cook, Barkley, Chubb, Ekeler, Dobbins, K Ingram, Brightwell, C/Z/D Evans, I Spiller, Strong Jr, R Rivers
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, T Hill, Diggs, Pittman, JSN, MT, A Rob, D Johnson, Mingo, Tank D, Hutchinson, Shenault, T Scott
TE: Ertz, Kittle, Waller, Freiermuth
2024 picks: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

Bisquiteen Trisket wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 am
bot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 pm
Bisquiteen Trisket wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm I’ll take Ross. He barely saw the field his rookie season so I’m not ready to judge or call him a bust. Historically receivers with high draft pedigree have a lower bust rate. Combine that with it usually taking 2-3 to develop and adjust to being a WR in the NFL and I can see a lot of people getting burned by jumping ship now.

2 examples of recent WRs who we all gave up on that are now valuable assets: Davante Adams (went from “complete bust/droppable” to a Top20 asset) and Nelson Agholor (from “complete bust/droppable” to Top50ish).
WRs taken in 1st round in the two years previous to last year:

2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell
2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Devante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshard Perriman, Phil Dorsett

Not tons to get too excited about. I don't think draft capital is much of an indication of anything exactly other than the willingness for a team to not admit their mistake as quick for risk of looking silly to ownership and the fanbase. If I can sell Ross now for something decent I will and use that dart to try and hit on something else. If I am wrong, I am wrong but I don't think it's the type of trade you would ever really regret that much as it's not like you are moving an Odell Beckham type player. At best he turns into a WR2 on his team and in today's NFL you can find guys like that (see Marvin Jones, Sterling Shepard, Robert Woods (even tho he is their WR1), etc.) for fairly cheap.
I respectfully disagree. I think there is plenty to get excited about, especially if you look back more than 2 years. Amari is still a big time dynasty asset. His stock is down but should rebound. Not a bust. Others who have already been given longer to prove themselves than Ross and are still regarded as valueable in dynasty: Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Agholor, Parker.

And the further you look back, the more you realize draft pedigree means something. Here’s a link to all WRs drafted over the past decade+. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... osition=WR
A lot of names stand outin round 1...Julio, Dez, Calvin, Sammy, Evans, OBJ, KB, Cooks, Nuk. All first rounders. Now, I’m not comparing Ross to that group. He’s not as good. But Coleman, Fuller, Doctson, Agholor, Parker? I think Ross is still just as much in the mix as those guys. We literally don’t know what he is yet, so it’s silly to write him off.
I would take the 14th pick over any of those guys too except maybe Fuller.

ChickenBeaks
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ChickenBeaks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 am

I'm not terribly against Ross and what his label is at this point, but I like my chances in replacing him in this scenario, give me the pick
12 Team, PPR
1 Q, 1-2 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE, K, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2-3 CB, 2-3 S
Q- Carr, Flacco, Allen
R- Freeman, Guice, L. Miller, Hyde, T.Mont, Foreman, Bredia
W- Hopkins, Cooper, Cobb, Moncrief, Martavis, R.Anderson, TreQuan, J'Mon
T- Kelce, H.Henry, Burton
K- CButker
DT- F. Cox, K. Clark
DE- F. Clark, B. Graham, Golden, Irvin, Takk, C.Harris
LB- J.Houston, Barr, Kerrigan, Judon, B. Martinez
C- Trufant, J. Mills, Tre'Davious
S- Ha-Ha, K. Joseph, Addae, J.Jones

24 Team Devy - 1 Copy
1 Q, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 TE, 1-3 DT, 1-3 DE, 3-5 LB, 1-3 CB, 1-3 S
Q-Winston, J.Allen, Garoppolo
R-Mixon, J.Williams, A.Jones, J.Jackson, Hines
W-Hilton, P.Richardson, Hurns, Kearse, Gallup, J'Mon, St. Brown, Stuff
TE-OJ, Jonnu, Watson, Stuff
D-Irving, Reader, Hand
DE-Beasley, Barnett, Dunlap, Hughes, Golden
LB-Bradham, L.Floyd, Hitchens, Longacre, A.Williamson
DB-Lattimore, MCCourty, Mitchell, D.Johnson, Trufant, Jaire
S-Derwin,M.Williams, Hooker, Harrison, Reid, Weddle, Berry

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Ross.

If Marvin Lewis isn't completely incompetent, he'll look at what KC did with Hill and try to implement Ross into the Bengals offense in similar ways. The guy has the speed to take a short slant to the house on every play. He has so much potential and is still younger than most of the rookies coming in this year. Ross has the tools, he just needs the opportunity.

He also needs a coach that knows how to work with young players, you can't just sit a guy for fumbling once, what if Reid did that after Kareem Hunts first carry in the league. You got to let them play, make the odd mistake, and learn...but that's a different conversation.

The price can't get much cheaper, and the potential is huge. He is the definition of a lotto ticket player. Easily one of the best buy lows in the league.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pmIf Marvin Lewis isn't completely incompetent, he'll look at what KC did with Hill and try to implement Ross into the Bengals offense in similar ways.
Yes, but Marvin Lewis has yet to show a whole lot of creativity on offense. While the CIN offense performed fairly well under Bill Lazor last year, there are plenty of Tavon Austins for every Tyreek Hill.
Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pmThe price can't get much cheaper, and the potential is huge. He is the definition of a lotto ticket player. Easily one of the best buy lows in the league.
I agree that people shouldn't panic and sell low on John Ross, but pick 14 is 2.02 in a 12-team league. Ross was drafted in the late 1st or early 2nd in most dynasty leagues last year. Selling for the 2.02 is hardly "selling low". If you buy into the recent trend that WRs who are injured their rookie years rarely succeed, and you add in the fact that Ross has suffered a myriad of injuries throughout his career thus far, then 2.02 is a good price to get out on Ross while you still can.

I believe in the talent, but can he stay healthy, and even if so, can CIN utilize him well enough to make him a relevant fantasy WR2 or better? My answer is "no" to one or both of those questions, so I'd sell for the 2.02.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm

I am about as low on John Ross as you can get..

But with that said - I would easily take Ross over pick 14.
I know he had a write off of a first year, but I have a hard time believing you'll get someone with more upside with that pick.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I'd take Ross but his value has dropped further than this, push to get a later pick back or some other throw in.

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm I am about as low on John Ross as you can get..

But with that said - I would easily take Ross over pick 14.
I know he had a write off of a first year, but I have a hard time believing you'll get someone with more upside with that pick.
There’s usually some available there. Hunt went at 14 in my draft last year. Engram and Watson after that. The year before pick 14 was Jordan Howard. In any event, you’re not as low as you can get. At least 72% in this poll are lower.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

While I agree with the general premise that some are too quick to write off receivers (and will happily purchase any shares of Cooper on the market), I have thought Ross has been overvalued since he was drafted.