Just had my dynasty start-up auction... how did I do/what would your next move be?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Just had my dynasty start-up auction... how did I do/what would your next move be?

Postby Mr. Wizard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm

See sig.

So for clarity, we're transferring over from a keeper league, so we all kept our guy from last year for basically free (mine was Melvin Gordon). I then got Hunt, Njoku, and Trubisky in the rookie draft, and with Spencer Ware getting hurt, I decided to go all-out in the auction for receivers. We use RealitySportsOnline, which gives you the NFL cap of $167m, and then you can sign players to a finite number of multi-year contracts (one 4yr, two 3yr, three 2yr, remainder 1yr).

I ended up spending an absolutely exorbitant amount on locking up Evans to a 3-year deal and spent a definite pretty penny to lock up AB for 4 (AB came up first in the auction; in hindsight, I wish I would've swapped their contracts). In the end, I spent my 4yr on Brown, my 3yrs on Evans and my keeper Gordon, and my 2yrs on Eifert, Pryor, and Kupp. The rest are on one-year deals.

I feel like, with health on my side, I've gotta be a big contender for the title. However, I'm definitely top-heavy as all hell and my RB depth is like... zero, because the value just wasn't where I wanted to be and my Evans/Brown tandem ended up being significantly more expensive than I thought. I do like Gore and Burkhead as "off the bench" options, but a big injury could really screw me. I also ended up with one more TE than I wanted.

Think I could move Engram or Everett for a little more RB depth? They're on very friendly deals. I'm not really going to be able to package players for a significant RB with a significant contract, because I'm pressing up against the cap due to the Evans/Brown contracts.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I feel pretty damn good but I'd like a little more RB depth.

EDIT: LeGarrette Blount, Jamaal Williams, Robert Turbin, Shane Vereen, Darren Sproles, Danny Woodhead, DeAndre Washington, and Jacquizz Rodgers headline the waiver wire. I could waive Tyrell Williams or something for one of them.
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Williams (5), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2)
IR:
Future Picks: 2024 2.12, 3.12, 3.6, 3.12 -- 2025 no picks -- 2026 2nd 3rd 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Achane, Swift, Herbert, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Allen, Nuk, Jeudy, Cooks, Dotson, Shakir, Bourne, Davis, Moore
TE: Hockenson, Knox, Johnson, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 2024 3.02, 3.10, 3.11 -- 2025 2nd 3rd -- 2026 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Nesus
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Just had my dynasty start-up auction... how did I do/what would your next move be?

Postby Nesus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 am

I think its a solid team and it could be a contender if everyone stays healthy and Newton bounces back. There's a chance you have 3 WR1s. My advice would be to drop two WRs and pick up two Rbs. I don't have much experience with Salary cap leagues but I think its much more important to have rb depth in a league like this than wr depth, especially considering its .5 ppr and only start 2 wrs. It's basically rb premium. I would waive Kupp and Brown for Woodhead and Blount/Williams. I'm not high on Blount this year.

I also think Gore will be a solid rb2 this season. I don't know how easy it is to sign new players in a league like this.
The Pigskin Pimp Lounge League
The Sloths
12 team PPR. 23 Man Rosters

Qb - Mariota, Dalton, Wentz
Wr - Cooper, Robinson, AJG, K. Allen, Baldwin, C. Coleman, Garcon, Trent Taylor, John Brown
Rb - Hyde, Henry, Mixon, Hunt, CJA, Du. Johnson,
Te - Kelce, Clay, ASJ

2018 - 1

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Just had my dynasty start-up auction... how did I do/what would your next move be?

Postby darkadun » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 am

Really nice team. Contender for sure. Only move I might make is add another RB for depth. Maybe see what you can get for Tyrell Williams or John Brown. But you might have to do that mid season hoping they start well and increase in value.
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Postby Mr. Wizard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for both of the replies so far. Good to hear Nesus thinks Gore can be an RB2, because I'll need one juuuust in case of injury to Gordon/Hunt or if Hunt unexpectedly busts.

I agree that RB depth is the biggest concern; do you think it's worth outright dropping John Brown or Tyrell Williams to add any of the RBs on the wire I listed in the first post? Otherwise, I can stay put and hope to move via trade for something a little better as the season progresses. Right now I'm thinking I might drop Williams and add Blount, but I'm torn.

It's not too difficult to add players off the wire -- guys that are making significant money have some guarantees in their contracts, but my vet minimum guys like Williams and Brown can be dropped for no penalty, and at that point it's a FAAB system. However, I'm not gonna have the cap to win any big time breakout guys.

Another thought is that I could hope Kupp and Pryor both perform well; they're on pretty cheap two-year-deals, so they might be nice trade assets for a back, allowing me to flip one and keep the other.
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Williams (5), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2)
IR:
Future Picks: 2024 2.12, 3.12, 3.6, 3.12 -- 2025 no picks -- 2026 2nd 3rd 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Achane, Swift, Herbert, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Allen, Nuk, Jeudy, Cooks, Dotson, Shakir, Bourne, Davis, Moore
TE: Hockenson, Knox, Johnson, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 2024 3.02, 3.10, 3.11 -- 2025 2nd 3rd -- 2026 1st, 2nd, 3rd