Orphan Advice - New to Dynasty

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
LakeCharles
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Orphan Advice - New to Dynasty

Postby LakeCharles » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 am

I just inherited a team and have never played dynasty before. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, but the team seems okay. It's very young anyway.

League: 12 Team 0.5 PPR
Rules: QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLEX(WR,RB,TE)/1DST/1K
My team:
QB: Mariota, Ryan
WR: Evans, Cooper, DThomas, JMatt, Doctson, MLee, TGabriel
RB: Ajayi, Dixon, Abdullah, Rawls, DLewis, Powell, McKinnon
TE: Ebron, Henry, JThomas, LGreen
DST: Arizona
Picks: 1.06,1.07,2.07,2.08,4.07,5.07

I need to cut 6 players to get down to 15. I was assuming I'd cut Arizona D, JThomas, LGreen, TGabriel, McKinnon and DLewis. As for the rookie/FA draft, I'm guessing I'll just take BPA based on some rankings.

Can I compete this year? Do I need to sell any of these players? Thanks.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Re: Orphan Advice - New to Dynasty

Postby Kramer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 am

I think you should definitely be able to compete. I really like your team and am shocked that someone would give that team up with so much young players. The players you plan on cutting seem fine to me. I would try to package up some of your draft picks and try to move into the top 4 if possible and grab one of the RBs (preferably Mixon or Fournette if you can get him). The team has a solid core and should be a contender for years to come. Feel free to ask us follow up questions on trades and whatnot. Best of luck!
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

AndrewS
Starter
Starter

Postby AndrewS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am

Team looks good and i agree with your cutdown picks (though you could make a case for letting Gabriel go instead of McKinnon or Lewis). Here's my thoughts:
1. be wary of people trying to get Evans, Cooper and Ajayi from you. Typically i see some lowball offers to a new owner or the old 5 quarters for a dollar strategy (i'll give you these 3 players that have minimal worth for your stud WR). Stay away from offers like that! A good rule of thumb is to try to obtain the best piece in each deal. This is especially true for a team that can compete right away. It's a bit different for teams that are rebuilding.
2. try to use your draft picks this year to move up in the draft to a top-3 position. I'd probably start with the 1.07 and 2.07 for the 1.03 or even the 1.07 and JMatt for the 1.03. For me i'd even be willing to give up the 1.06 and 1.07 to get into the top-3. If your team can get LF or Mixon then it can definitely compete.
3. use the forum for advice and suggestions...but also be sure to contribute. I recently started playing dynasty and love the forum on here. There's great insight and discussion.
Good luck!
Team 1 - 12 Team Half PPR
Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 1 D/ST
Total Starters = 10
Russel Wilson, Eli Manning
Bell, Howard, Hyde, J Williams, Smallwood, A Jones, J Allen, D Washington
M Thomas, B Cooks, D Hopkins, A Jeffery, Meredith, Boyd, Caroo, Smelter, T Benjamin, C Hansen
Ebron, Butt, V McDonald, G Kittle
2018 1, 1, 3, 4 2019 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4

Team 2 - 12 Team Half PPR
Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K
Total Starters = 10
Brees, Bortles, Goff, Fitzpatrick
D Freeman, L Miller, JStew, CJ Anderson, J Hill, J Williams
TY Hilton, K Allen, A Thielen, Tate, Stills, Hogan, Wheaton, Hansen
Graham, Walker, Z Miller

Team 3 - 12 Team Full PPR
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)
Total Starters = 8
A Rodgers
Ingram, Ware, Martin, L Murray, AP, Artis-Payne, Quizz Rodgers, D Lewis, R Jennings, Josh Ferguson
AJ Green, J Landry, D Baldwin, E Decker, J Brown, R Cobb, J Janis, T Smith
J Reed, E Ebron, E Swoope, J Heuerman

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Postby dblj1199 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 am

Your roster isn't that bad and you should be able to compete. It's a fine line with players of when to keep them or trade them before they are too old, lose value etc. You have a great roster and are stocked at wr, quality young te's, and great depth at qb. Your only issue is at rb. If Ajayi takes the next step that is huge. If Abdullah or Dixon can become quality players then you are set. I'd either simply take best player available in the draft or package the 1.6, 1.7 and move up to grab a rb, you should be able to get to 1.3.
Also being the new guy be prepared for lots or shitty offers from owners trying to take advantage of you. This site is always a great sounding board to help out as well. Good luck.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

Dizzle
Starter
Starter

Postby Dizzle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 am

I agree with all the above.
ESPECIALLY try not to let guys take advantage of you being new and not quite knowing what you're doing. If you get any offers you should present them on the forum. You'll get so much advice you'll feel like a pro.
Best of luck! Great looking team to take over.

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dyno_7 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am

Pretty darn good orphan! Lol!

Agree with the above. Don't let anyone try to low ball you for a player. If you're a DLF member, use the trade finder tool to help you determine market value for players. Also mentioned, run trade proposals by the forum, you'll get great feedback.

If you can move up to at least 1.04, that will give you a good shot at either Mixon or Cook. Fournette and Davis will likely go 1 & 2.

If you can't move up, don't panic. Take the bpa and try to work out a deal for a RB after the draft. Teams always walk away from the draft with a perceived doubt at a position. You could work out a deal. The 1.06 & 1.07 should put you in range for Njoku, Howard, M. Williams etc. You could corner the top 2 TE's in the draft and use them to deal for a RB. Chances are someone is salivating to get one of those guys for the future.

Good luck! You got a good team.
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

Team looks good. I'd try to trade Ryan because you don't need two stud QBs in a 1QB league. I also agree with packaging the 1.06 and 1.07 and getting into the top 3 to draft Mixon, or even 4 or 5 if that doesn't work to get Cook.

timmybhoy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby timmybhoy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 am

Welcome to the forum LakeCharles. You're starting with a pretty good team set up to be in the mix for a few years.

You're cuts are spot on to me so you obviously have a clue to what you're doing. Gauging trade values is one of the hardest things to know when you're just starting out so use all the tools available to you, especially this forum.

I agree with others in trying to move up in to the top 3/4. 1.07 and 2.07 probably won't be enough but I'd start there.

Good Luck :thumbup:
Team 1
12 team 1pt ppr,
Bonus pts for td's of 50yd+
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2 FLEX 1 DEF

QB: Rodgers, Smith
RB: Gurley, Perine, Prosise, Hunt, Charles, Aaron Jones, Smallwood, Sproles, Richard, Burkhead
WR: Hilton, M Thomas, Jordy, Crowder, Coleman Sanders, Aiken, K Wright, LaFell
TE: Rudolph, Engram, J Thomas
DEF: Hou, LA
Taxi: Carroo, Mahomes, Darboh

2018 Picks: 1st, 3rd

Team 2
12 team, 1ppr, TE prem, SFlex, IDP, Devy
Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 SFlex, 1 Flex, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB
QB: Mariota, Ryan, Dalton, Kaep
RB: Gordon, Hyde, Matthews, Booker, Sims, Marshall, Joe Williams
WR: ARob, Keenan, CoCo, Tate, Crabtree, Thielen, Boyd, Woods
TE: Graham, Hooper, Gathers