Marvin Jones?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why is Marvin Jones suddenly worth so much?

Postby tstafford » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm not buying either one of them. If I was buying, I'd buy Tate. He's a better player for sure. My bet is the Tate is a reliable WR2 in 2016 and Jones is a low end WR3 who you hate to start. If that's true, Jones isn't worth much more than a 2nd to me. I own him in my main league and would happily sell if I could get the values being discussed in this thread.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:26 pm

HawkeyeState wrote:Tried to basically say this in a different Marvin Jones thread and everyone told me I wasn't valuing Jones properly.
I own him nowhere and will not own him anywhere. He's a late 2nd at best value player and even that is rich IMO
Same here, I think owners would've lost their mind if he went to the rumored Patriots.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:31 pm

tstafford wrote:I'm not buying either one of them. If I was buying, I'd buy Tate. He's a better player for sure. My bet is the Tate is a reliable WR2 in 2016 and Jones is a low end WR3 who you hate to start. If that's true, Jones isn't worth much more than a 2nd to me. I own him in my main league and would happily sell if I could get the values being discussed in this thread.
I'd buy Ebron over both if we're thinking long-term.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm not really seeing a huge difference between this situation and James Jones leaving Green Bay for Oakland a few years back. Detroit isn't a good offense and Stafford is a middle of the road QB. His efficiency numbers looked okay last year, but if you run Calvin's targets at Tate's efficiency, Stafford drops about 300 yards and his ypa gets ugly. The sad part is, that's probably understating the actual drop as Calvin was often drawing double coverage and always the top CB.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:53 pm

akbfrosty wrote:It means he has the most proven ability to score touchdowns. Ten in one year is pretty impressive, and it's unfortunate that he didn't have a chance to play when AJ Green and Eifert were injured two years ago because that would probably give us a better indicator of his ceiling.

The claim of "most proven" has a lot to do with the lack of any proven red zone threat remaining on the Lions, too...so it's almost most proven by default, which isn't a ringing endorsement.
And that proven ability to score, if we take away one 49-9 blowout of the Jets in 2013, has led to him scoring 11 tds in 42 games, just over 1 every 4 games. Even with that one outburst it brings him just up slightly over 1 every 3 games. Ebron last year also score 1 every 3 games and is only now hitting his 3rd year which is when you should expect a TE to finally become viable.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:02 pm

1 in 4 games for a TD is supposed to be good? That's only 4 TDs a year for a receiver who has never eclipsed 1000 yards.

His QB situation has also gotten worse going from Cincy to Detroit.

People are all excited about Marvin Jones landing in Detroit because they think he is going to get this big uptick.

The reality is - Detroit's offense is now pretty ugly.

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Apparently, I'm in the minority of thinking Detroit's offense will be okay without Calvin.

Stafford was one of the best QB's in the 2nd half last year...after Lombardi was gone. Whether the change in OC and offensive scheme was a major contributing factor or not, who's to say. They played a weaker defensive schedule in the 2nd half if I'm recalling correctly, so that's also factored in to why Stafford and the O was better.

I'm not advocating for Jones to score over 240 points. I'm advocating for what I feel is a WR2.

Also, I feel like I addressed the red zone issues for this year. You can say he only scored 4 TD...but for me that's cuz Tyler Eifert was being almost force fed and AJ Green was the WR1. Jones doesn't have that in Detroit. If you don't wanna buy that as a difference maker, so be it. Let's take away his rookie year, too, cuz what was his expectation as a 5th round rookie...seems silly to count that against him (also only took into account Ebron's 2nd year...). Let's call the 4 TD game a 2 TD game...so he had 8 his 2nd year, sounds pretty good.

The question he'll need to answer is whether or not he can be a viable target when he's facing better competition/coverage. If he can't, then he'll most likely have a similar season to last year.

Are the other options in Detroit better red zone weapons than Marvin Jones? Ebron, maybe on a projection, I can accept.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Strip away the hyperbole, ignore the odd shyster sending out ridiculous offers and all you have is a perfectly logical rise in value for a good player moving to a new team where he's likely to get more targets. He's moving from playing opposite AJ Green to playing opposite Golden Tate. I like Tate a lot, but he's clearly not a WR1 in the mould of AJ Green. The Lions won't run the ball as often as the Bengals did last year. Ebron's not Eifert. Allied to which, this looks an awfully weak draft class at the WR position outside of the top 3 or 4 guys.
As ever though, anyone not looking like he could be a top ten WR is worthless in many eyes...

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Wow, the dumping on the Detroit offense is amazing. Sounds like everyone on that team is a buy-low based on this thread. :dance:

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think that offense is only gonna suffer a slight setback statistically... not the doom and gloom y'all are predicting.

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Honestly I think Jones's value remains the same as it was in Cincy. He was the number 2 with Dalton throwing to him and he did alright. Stafford is about equal to Dalton in fantasy, but I think it's more the fact Detroit paid him what they did to be their number 2. It's all opportunity and the money in a different system that raises his value. He could have a great year but just as well bust or just end up the same. I definitely think with Calvin gone, they're still gonna keep their eyes open in the draft.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon
WR- Evans, Hilton, ARob, Cooper, Watkins, Shepard, C Davis, Gordon, Doctson
TE-Olsen, Kittle
PK- Whatever
DE- Okafor, Hunter
LB- Buccanon, Mack
S- Baker, Mathieu

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:20 pm

I don't see it and also I think the WR and "next best thing" bias is playing hard into this one. There is going to be some strong buyer's remorse coming back to bite some folks. I feel like Jones is just another guy who cashed in on the free agent market due to available talent, but will leave fantasy owners hurting as he has already shown what he is capable of and it isn't worth all this hype.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:22 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:Wow, the dumping on the Detroit offense is amazing. Sounds like everyone on that team is a buy-low based on this thread. :dance:

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think that offense is only gonna suffer a slight setback statistically... not the doom and gloom y'all are predicting.
I agree. As awesome as Calvin was, when he was hurt it didn't have all that much of a negative impact on the team overall. The primary problem is the Jekyll and Hyde play of Stafford.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Hard to over-estimate how awful Lombardi was as a play-caller. I'm relatively optimistic about the Lions.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:23 pm

skip wrote:
holy_stromboli wrote:Wow, the dumping on the Detroit offense is amazing. Sounds like everyone on that team is a buy-low based on this thread. :dance:

I agree. As awesome as Calvin was, when he was hurt it didn't have all that much of a negative impact on the team overall. The primary problem is the Jekyll and Hyde play of Stafford.
Which an improved scheme and O-line should help with. I'm still high on Stafford, I think we still haven't seen him at his consistent best yet. Especially if they can get just a middle-of-the-road rushing attack in place.

HEADBANGER
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby HEADBANGER » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:43 am

Detroit throws the rock about 150 more times a year than Cincy for the past three years, almost 10 more passes per game. Cincy had AJG hogging all the targets while Detroit lost their hog in Calvin. Someone is going to catch those balls so give Tate and Ebron an uptick sure. I don't see Riddick getting more than 99 looks this year. Detroit paid Jones a lot of money to be their starter and their defense still very suspect, meaning they will be playing from behind so the passes should still be a very high number again this year.

What I am saying is you can question Jones abilities and previous opportunities all you want. I totally believe his current opportunities and number of targets will be much greater now in Detroit and that is one thing I am looking for when trying to buy a player. Hopefully that answers the OP original question why his value has gone way up.
FF Player for 32 years, dynasty for the last 10 years.