Sam Bradford Under rated?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Sam Bradford Under rated?

Postby The.Big.Spank » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

I was looking at pro football focus dynasty league qb rankings. It has Bradford listed at 32, meaning the worst starting qb in the league.

When I look at great quarterbacks, they might have different skill sets, but they all seem to have two things in common, smarts and accuracy. Bradford, in college, was one of the best I ever saw in those two categories. I thought he would be a great pro.

Then he gets drafted by the Rams when they used 4-5 wide outs on every play and let their qb get destroyed.

He has never had anything near a decent offensive line, usually playing behind one of the 3 worst in the league.

He has never had a Wr that was worth a good squirt of *iss. His best was Matthews, a mid range , at best, WR2 and only for one year in a dysfunctional Philly under Kelly.

Outside of a old Steven Jackson, he has never had a RB2, let alone RB1.

He gets traded to Minn who lost 3 or 4 of their offensive lineman and AP almost immediately to start the season.

(here is where I make a total fool out of myself) I think if Bradford EVER had any semblance of a wr, rb or line in front of him he would be a qb1 easily.

Is Bradford underrated or am I insane?
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Sam Bradford Under rated?

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 am

pity he only has 100MM$ for a sympathy pillow ! poor mistreated feller!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

Well, 32 out of 32 is flat out stupid.

A lot of excuses by the OP. But, they are legit. If I were to rank him as it stands in the NFL right now as a qb... arm strength, accuracy, decision making, mobility, etc. I'd have him right around 20-23. 32 is flat out dumb. Think about what 32 out of 32 means....
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 am

I agree that he is vastly underrated as an NFL QB. As listed, there are a ton of reasons as to why he hasn't performed. When he has gotten decent protection and been healthy, he's a very good passer.

I don't know that he ever will because of those same reasons. He's just snake bitten. He's a favorite backup fantasy QB just for the chance he can show his best.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 am pity he only has 100MM$ for a sympathy pillow ! poor mistreated feller!
What does this have to do with the question? I have never heard him complain about money or being mistreated either. He has always acted like a pro.

(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135294&hilit=Bradford

My thoughts:
"Bradford has actually been really good with the Vikings. I didn't like the trade when it was made, because I was never really a believer. Watching him play for a season, he actually made the most of what he was given. As for him never making the playoffs...it's not like he's been dealt good hands.

In 2010, his rookie year, he threw for 3500 yards at a 60% clip with 18 TD/15 INT rate. He played well enough to be the rookie of the year. Now, any rookie QB that gets the opportunity to start 16 games has a fair shot to be the rookie of the year, so it's not a ringing endorsement, but it's certainly not a bad season.

In 2011, his stats were putrid (only played in 10 games before getting injured), but so was that whole team. They had the most difficult schedule in the league that year, according to football outsiders. They had crap for talent surrounding Bradford, and the line was just bad. There's a reason that both the head coach and the general manager were fired immediately after the season finale, and it wasn't the sophomore QB. They ran that team very poorly. You want the guy to succeed but I just can't fault him for not succeeding in this setting.

2012, Bradford was learning a new playbook, and WHAT A PLAYBOOK IT WAS! He got to head up a Jeff Fisher offense! YAY!! He threw for 3700, 60%, 21 TD, 13 INT. An improvement from his rookie year, but nothing fantastic. Personally, I feel that ANY success for a QB in a Fisher offense is a ringing endorsement of that QB. Yes, McNair was very good in my opinion. His transcendence through the crap system is the reason Fisher lasted so long.

2013, still Fisher...Bradford was passing for ~250 yards, 2 TDs and 0.6 INTs per game, and only lasted 7 games before getting injured. Gee I wonder if the genius offensive scheme with that stellar line that left the QB up for constant pressure with the simplistic, slow developing routes had anything to do with his rap for getting injured...I'd say 2013 is in no way an endorsement of Bradford, but it is also in no way a bad season or a sign of a lack of talent. Just unfortunate circumstances.

2014, entire season lost to a torn ACL. Jeez, Bradford. You've displayed some talent in entirely awful circumstances so far in your career, but wow are you getting injured a lot so far. 3 years of major injuries so far!? Hardly damning to his ability when healthy, but can he ever stay healthy?

2015, he moved to the Eagles and new WRs, coach and playbook. He did have Shurmur for some familiarity. He threw for 3725 yards at 65%, 19 TDs to 14 INTs in 14 games. Not wonderful, but not horrible either for his first year in the system coming off an ACL.

2016, he's traded to the Vikings (the team I love) and I didn't like the trade when it first happened. I was looking for hope, so I looked into his history, and from what I could tell it was neither condemning nor promising. It was glimpses of talent shining through entirely murky situations. He was an unclear answer. It seemed he had talent but it didn't seem unreasonable to just bet on another injury.
As the Vikings QB in 2016, he threw for 3877 yards, 20 TDs, and 5 INTs at a 71.6% clip...for a 99.3 passer rating. This is a solid year, and in case you missed it, this was yet again a putrid situation for Bradford. Bridgewater was the most pressured QB in the league in 2015...And Bradford's line was even worse. They were so riddled with injuries that the 2nd string right tackle was eventually the starting left tackle, and the 3rd string right tackle was also starting. The guards were also hurt. That historically bad offensive line just was pitifully over-matched in every game. Their rushing game combined for a whopping 75 yards per game! 3.2 yards per carry for the team. If you don't know...that's really bad. Good for 32nd in the league in both yards and ypc. Yet Bradford had a pretty damn decent season. If he had started week 1, it would have likely been a 4000 yard season. His contributions to the team were solid, in my eyes. He played better than I ever expected in a situation that was way worse (due mostly to injuries) than I ever expected.

Bradford should be given every shot to be the Vikings future QB. The guy is 29. He may not be a fantasy star, but he should be leading the team. I say all this as a big Teddy Bridgewater believer. I'm just realistically looking at his injury as something that could severely limit him, and even if it doesn't, by the time he gets back the job may be firmly Bradford's."

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am

Bradford is horrible. Dumped without the blink of an eye by two teams already and looked barely average last year. Every QB goes through stuff, it's the NFL. You either perform or you don't and Bradford hasn't performed at a high level.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am Bradford is horrible. Dumped without the blink of an eye by two teams already and looked barely average last year. Every QB goes through stuff, it's the NFL. You either perform or you don't and Bradford hasn't performed at a high level.
Dumped in the blink of an eye...
Both teams traded him for what was seen to be a nice acquisition at the time...
Last year, he played very well with what he was given. He made numerous very good throws in a rush while taking hits. He stood tall, knew he would get destroyed, and delivered the ball with accuracy. The Vikings offense would have been so much worse than it was without him.
To say he looked barely average tells me that you are looking at the stats and didn't likely watch the games

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am Bradford is horrible. Dumped without the blink of an eye by two teams already and looked barely average last year. Every QB goes through stuff, it's the NFL. You either perform or you don't and Bradford hasn't performed at a high level.

As a person on this forum with over 4k posts, I'd expect a much higher level of thought.

Your take is rather silly to be honest.

#1. Bradford isn't horrible. Try watching a game. It may help.
#2. He wasn't "dumped by 2 teams without a blink of an eye" WTF does that even mean? seriously.... Phili got a frickin 1st plus for him!!!
#3. "looked barely average last year" I guess I'll just ask what everyone else is thinking - did you just wake up from a long coma? If so, you have an excuse for what your typed and posted. If not.... well, hmmm.
#4. Your post was.... well, a bit light on meaningful content.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am Well, 32 out of 32 is flat out stupid.

A lot of excuses by the OP. But, they are legit. If I were to rank him as it stands in the NFL right now as a qb... arm strength, accuracy, decision making, mobility, etc. I'd have him right around 20-23. 32 is flat out dumb. Think about what 32 out of 32 means....
X2
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, J Daniels, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/G WILSON/D ADAMS/DK, Pittman, Flowers, Evans, Pearsoll
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/COUSINS, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
LAPORTA/KELCE/KITTLE
/
TEAM C - 32T (2 copy), 1QB, TEP
TUA, J Daniels
KAMARA, J Brooks, Monty, Mattison
JJ/DK/GODWIN/K ALLEN, Kirk, J Meyers, Polk, Wandale
KITTLE, Goedert, Higbee
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE, Pollard
CHASE/G WILSON/AIYUK/DJM, Nabers, Pittman, Diggs, Polk
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/BREECE, Pollard
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert
/
TEAM F - 12T, SF & TEP
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 am

As a person on this forum with over 4k posts, I'd expect a much higher level of thought.

Your take is rather silly to be honest.

#1. Bradford isn't horrible. Try watching a game. It may help.
#2. He wasn't "dumped by 2 teams without a blink of an eye" WTF does that even mean? seriously.... Phili got a frickin 1st plus for him!!!
#3. "looked barely average last year" I guess I'll just ask what everyone else is thinking - did you just wake up from a long coma? If so, you have an excuse for what your typed and posted. If not.... well, hmmm.
#4. Your post was.... well, a bit light on meaningful content.
No one wants the guy. It's really that simple. If he was good, teams would keep him.

He at no point has ever been considered an above average QB. He gets chances due to scarcity at the position.

Glad you guys were such good drinking buddies at Oklahoma but he was over drafted and has had little to no success. 0 playoff appearances, including taking over a 10 win Eagles team (who had made the playoffs the year before) and a Vikings team that was fresh off a playoff game.

Is now when you ask me "how many touchdowns have you throw in the NFL? Thats what I thought!"

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am Well, 32 out of 32 is flat out stupid.

Well, it means worse than hoyer, savage I suppose in Houston, whatever the Jets plan on doing and whatever homeless person off the street Cleveland trots out if we are just considering starting qbs.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Yep...

Well, Space Cowboy, I'm not even going to bite that hook and take that bait and run with it. You are welcome to your opinion. Even if I think it is warped, over simplified, and incomplete logic. You are welcome to it. To say that Bradford is garbage while ignoring the factors that led to the conclusion you hold; is well - simply crazy to me. Look at Bradford's numbers from last year. Look at his 0-line, look at his off season work, wr corp, his 32nd ranked running game..... I think what he did (and I watched every game and - I'm NOT and never have been a Bradford fan as far as Fantasy) - was REMARKABLE - completely REMARKABLE. To say the dibble and to hold that opinion that you did simply shows that you possess the ability to ingore factors that contribute to a result. It is nothing short of strange.

Any site ranking Bradford below a few of the lower end starting qb is.... well.... strange.

I get that he isn't a flashy fantasy name. But, in 1 qb leagues... I would expect about 20 qb to be put into that group. IN the NFL though, his skill set is more than adequate, and if given average time / protection, and if provided with an average wr corp - he would have a VERY easy time being in the top half of the league as far as fantasy scoring and NFL production. I don't think it is that hard to understand at all.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Personally, I think he is the second coming of Jim Plunkett (for all us guys over 55). It would not surprise me to see him make a Pro Bowl or two and take the Vikes to a NFC championship game if their line can stay in tact, they get a competent running game, and a decent WR. All well withing the realm of possibility.

(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

We must not have watch the same person play last year? 4-1 TD-INT ratio must not be good or matter? He was asked to manage games while learning the offense and then the offensive line imploded with injuries and Bradford was basically the last man standing.

Go back and watch some tape, he gets hit or hurried on 2/3rds of his drop backs. Hard to imagine anybody doing well with defenses on your toes in less than 2 seconds.