Mike Williams over Corey Davis in a Landslide?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Mike Williams over Corey Davis in a Landslide?

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 am

I look at it as of the 91% that voted for the two of them, 60% voted for Williams and 40% voted for Davis. A 60/40 split isn't landslide, but it is a decent enough margin. I'll be interested to see if it pulls closer together as the combine plays out, as i expect Davis to be the superior athlete.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am 55% vs 36% means for every 100 votes, Williams got 55 and Davis got 36

55 / 36 = 1.53 or 153%

55 is 153% of 36 meaning Williams got 53% more votes than Davis did. 19% more of the total vote, but for every person that voted for Davis, 1.5 voted for Williams...
I had assumed you meant 50% as in literally twice as many, misinterpretation on my part. My bad.

Nonetheless, I don't consider 2 out of every 10 people (estimated) favouring Williams over Davis as a landslide for Williams (assuming a 4-4 split between the other 8). That was my main point.
Last edited by Phaded on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

maxhyde wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm
schiewerma21 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm It's because the dynasty community had notions about Corey Davis that your even surprised by this.

Most "experts" in the real NFL like Williams far over Davis which is why people paying attention to that prefer him. Now I love both players, but what the "dynasty community" thinks and real life is sometimes different.

For example: the DLF community would have Chubb ranked as their number 3 back despite him not being a top 10 rb on NFL draft expert boards and kiper telling him to go back to school cause he may be a day 3 pick. That's just the way it is.

Davis is awesome, but Williams is certainly ahead in the NFL eyes. What you do with that information is up to you.
Do we know that for certain? I mean personally I think Williams is a better player but he also has a massive red flag with that neck injury.
I don't say anything's for certain, but I do know that some of the mocks that come out there are based upon what reporters and insiders are hearing from scouts and sometimes GM's, and in the case of these two, the consensus has had Mike Williams ahead of Corey Davis. This isn't consistently meaningful in a case like this because for now, the decisive factor is almost certainly concerns over level of competition. Once we see how they perform at the combine and in workouts, there may be a reshuffling. I have no idea how Davis is going to perform, but have heard that his measurables and ranking coming out of high school was either 4 or 5 star, and he was very much considered one of the top WR recruits in his graduation year. Grades or some other issue, can't remember, forced him to go to a lesser school, but I would suspect that Davis tests at least as good as the other size WR's available.

I don't think you should necessairly care too much what NFL officials think of these guys in such small gradations. They miss a lot on WR's, quite consistently. WR has one of the least consistent hit rates positionally early on in drafts. They just don't have the position down yet like they seem to with OL (and even there they can miss a ton as you saw in some drafts in '13 and '14). Remember Diggs went in what, the sixth round, and Treadwell was the top ranked guy on a lot of boards depending upon need. If you love Davis, and your reasoning is based upon evidence, rather than just hunches, go with it. If you like Williams, go with it. I have a much harder time seeing JuJu as justifiable at #1 (and I don't think he is in many if any other places).

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am 55% vs 36% means for every 100 votes, Williams got 55 and Davis got 36

55 / 36 = 1.53 or 153%

55 is 153% of 36 meaning Williams got 53% more votes than Davis did. 19% more of the total vote, but for every person that voted for Davis, 1.5 voted for Williams...
this

+ the difference between Williams' votes (328) and Davis' votes (218) is 110 votes. 110 votes is >50% of Davis' votes (218). hence Williams got 50% more votes than Davis.

again, this is just a snapshot, mid-poll even. But I was (am?) still really surprised at the gap in Williams' favor. it feels to me like this is how rookie drafts would play out if held today. of course all of that can and probably will change greatly between now & the NFL draft, as has been pointed out. cheers,

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:02 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

55 / 36 = 1.53 or 153%

this

+ the difference between Williams' votes (328) and Davis' votes (218) is 110 votes. 110 votes is >50% of Davis' votes (218). hence Williams got 50% more votes than Davis.

again, this is just a snapshot, mid-poll even. But I was (am?) still really surprised at the gap in Williams' favor. it feels to me like this is how rookie drafts would play out if held today. of course all of that can and probably will change greatly between now & the NFL draft, as has been pointed out. cheers,
The gap is purely because Williams got an extra game and played very well.

I own Davis on one devy squad and I wouldn't trade him straight up for Williams. Consequently, if I owned Williams I doubt I would trade him straight up for Davis...the two are that close!
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm

I would trade Corey Davis for Mike Williams in every league...but I would trade Cook for Fournette in every league too. I think the split between most owners isn't quite as decided as I have it at this point.
Of course the whole draft process hasn't even started yet so obviously things can change but today I would make those deals and only slightly regret if something was discovered during the next 4 months that created a shift for me.

Anyway all the analysts and mocks have their "sources" and nfl scouts have done some work but I think alot of what you hear pre-draft is as much a smokescreen as the honest truth in what they think about specific players before the draft. I take as much as I can in but in the end I am happy to (and try to) go with my gut on guys
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am

55 / 36 = 1.53 or 153%

I had assumed you meant 50% as in literally twice as many, misinterpretation on my part. My bad.

Nonetheless, I don't consider 2 out of every 10 people (estimated) favouring Williams over Davis as a landslide for Williams (assuming a 4-4 split between the other 8). That was my main point.
For the record, I didn't make the original statement, just sorting out the math. :thumbup:

Your point of view is fair as well, although I think it would be more accurate in a head to head match-up as opposed to the current exercise. Also fair to mention that I have seen polls on other topics that were much more lopsided, so that also points to this not being a landslide...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm

The fact that this debate is still going on and that it has evolved into the math behind what constitutes a landslide is evidence that we all need the off-season to arrive haha!
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

haha - yeah seems about right.

Anyhow, landslide is a subjective term because there's no actual defined measurement associated with it.

For example, I would consider a landslide to be something with an overwhelming majority (such as 8-9 out of 10 people would prefer Williams to Davis). That is my opinion of a landslide, which hopefully sheds light on why I don't call this a landslide.

Anak
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Anak » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm
As an added bonus:

Smith-Schuster vs. Alabama: 1 reception, 9 yards
Ross vs. Alabama: 5 receptions, 28 yards
Williams vs. Alabama: 8 receptions, 94 yards, TD
I'd be careful about reading tooooo much into that. At the time, that whole USC team was a mess. Also, JSS was playing with Max Browne at QB, who is light years behind Watson. I think JSS would do much better vs Alabama if they played at the end of the year as opposed to Week 1.
QB: Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Le'Veon Bell, David Johnson, Rob Kelley, DeAngelo Williams, Chris Johnson
WR: TY Hilton, Alshon Jeffrey, Davante Adams, Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Breshad Perriman, Marvin Jones, Devin Funchess, Michael Floyd, Marqise Lee, Anquan Boldin
TE: Delanie Walker, Maxx Williams
D/ST: Oakland, Baltimore
12 Team Dynasty (1PPR). Lineup: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1WR/RB/TE, 1DST, 1K
2017: 1.01, 2.01, 2.05, 3.12
2018: 1st, 3rd, 4th

QB: Andrew Luck, Eli Manning
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, Jalen Richard, Alfred Morris, Jerick McKinnon, Peyton Barber
WR: Odell Beckham Jr., Alshon Jeffery, Donte Moncrief, Terelle Pryor Sr., Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown, Malcolm Mitchell, Mike Wallace, Jordan Matthews
TE: Tyler Eifert, Tyler Higbee, Virgil Green, Dwayne Allen
D/ST: Patriots, Giants
12 Team Dynasty (1PPR). Lineup: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WR/RB/TE, 1DST, 1K
2017: 1.08, 1.11, 2.08, 2.09
2018: 1st, 3rd, 4th

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 pm

flyersfan1981 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm The fact that this debate is still going on and that it has evolved into the math behind what constitutes a landslide is evidence that we all need the off-season to arrive haha!
touche' so true!

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:09 am

Kinda curious who the 6 "other" votes were for?

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am

Anak wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:18 pm
As an added bonus:

I'd be careful about reading tooooo much into that. At the time, that whole USC team was a mess. Also, JSS was playing with Max Browne at QB, who is light years behind Watson. I think JSS would do much better vs Alabama if they played at the end of the year as opposed to Week 1.
Absolutely. USC was a mess early on. Fundamentally different from the USC we saw once Darnold took over at QB. They just pounded the hell out of everyone after that. It's worth noting that the Vegas Power Ranking Polls had USC in the playoff at the end of the year based purely on how they viewed the team in comparison to the rest of the squads in the country, and back in September, I doubt USC was even in the top 20 of Power Polls.

I'm not a fan of Smith-Schuster, but I do believe that QB and surrounding talent played as much a role, as anything in Williams production. John Ross was the key weapon in the UW passing game, and Alabama easily shut down that game. USC was a mess w/a poor QB at the time. Meanwhile Clemson has one of the best QB prospects in the country and a loaded pass catching corps rendering it a pick your poison approach. If Alabama had treated Williams like they treated Ross a week earlier it would have been Artavis Scott and Cain would have been blowing up, but in UW, they lacked the luxury of other options that Alabama might fear.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Anak wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:18 pm
As an added bonus:

It's not so much who was throwing him the ball, as it is what he did against the closest thing in college to an NFL defense.

Like I said, I was higher on JSS going into the season, but the more I watch him, I just don't see anything that he does at an elite level. He wouldn't make my Top 3 WR's in this class.