McVay to LA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Servo
All Pro
All Pro

McVay to LA

Postby Servo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Anything here? Speculation that Anthony Lynn and Wade Phillips are being worked on as OC/DC candidates.

Is this guy actually worth skipping over Shannahan or McDaniels for (Skins fans)? Or is it safe to say that those two might not have been interested in the gig?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: McVay to LA

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I said at the beginning of the season that the Redskins offense was my favorite to watch in the NFL. At some point, I probably added that Sean McVay would be a hot coaching candidate, or become a highly paid OC.

I think McVay is the real deal and that this is a great hire for the Rams. They did not need a splashy hire. They just needed someone who could teach Jared Goff how to play and introduce the Rams to a modern day offense.

For this to work though:

1. Goff needs to become very good at reading defenses quickly and getting the ball out quickly. The Redskins offense does not force feed anyone and it's basically designed for the first open man. So, at some point he has to go through those progressions very fast.

2. That said, the Redskins personnel has a lot of receivers who are excellent at getting open quickly in those short area and intermediate routes (Garcon, Crowder, Reed, D-Jax). To me, the only current Rams WR who can do that is Pharoh Cooper, and he's not exactly proven right now. I think Tyler Higbee is also good at this, but again unproven. Tavon Austin could fit that mold, but he doesn't get open as much as people would think for someone with his speed. If they re-sign Kenny Britt, I think he fits that Garcon role well. Otherwise, The Rams are going to need some big offensive upgrades going forward.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 pm

This is an interesting situation to monitor.

McVay made some players legit in Washington that probably wouldn't be or wouldn't be "as legit".

With that said, he is coming into a big mess on offense.

Will be interesting to monitor.

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm

I see this hiring of McVay as the best possible scenario for Higbee truthers. McVay was a TE coach, then OC. He highlighted Reed..

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm

The key for McVay will be getting that line fixed. They have a lot of theoretical talent there, but it just wasn't coming together under Fisher. I think the receivers are fine and they have enough guys with talent there that a couple will work out. Gurley is obviously solid. I'm a little worried about Wade Phillips being brought in for the defense. Their personnel isn't a great fit given that they were converting safties to linebacker to get two consistent linebackers out there and no idea how the conversion would go for Quinn and others.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm

This is very good news for the Rams' offense and Gurley. McVay has been exceptional at using his players in WASH in ways to utilize their strengths. His ability to adapt and adjust to his players is completely 180 degrees opposite from what has been true for the Rams for a very long time.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Wonder what it means for Cousins? Is Washington going to pay him? And how much of his success is McVay vs Gruden?

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 pm

What do you guys think this means for Gurley? Good or bad news? He is the only fantasy asset worth mentioning from the current Rams offense in my opinion. Just never been a big fan of Goff, but I think he can be good enough.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 pm

onetwothree wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm Wonder what it means for Cousins? Is Washington going to pay him? And how much of his success is McVay vs Gruden?
I think it's bad news for Cousins. Not "the sky is falling" bad news, but I think McVay played very well to Kirk's strengths and utilized his other offensive weapons well.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:27 pm

onetwothree wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm Wonder what it means for Cousins? Is Washington going to pay him? And how much of his success is McVay vs Gruden?
I'm not sure it means anything for Cousins, because the system in Washington looked pretty similar to Gruden's system in Cincinnati, except with a TE as the focal point instead of an elite lead receiver. I suspect whoever gets hired will be encouraged to continue with what is working. I might worry a bit if Gruden brings in an established guy, but I don't see that as likely.

I feel like this may have a Flacco type ending if they pay him, but I'm not sure what else they can do at this point. They're in that terrible spot where they're not quite playoff caliber, but too good to get solid draft picks.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:33 pm

They have to pay him. It's the NFL, even above-average QB's get paid. Cousins threw for 4,917 yards this season. He topped the record he set last year for Washington QB's.

I don't think Cousins needs to be worried about who the OC is. I think the bigger concern is if they lose both Jackson and Garcon in free agency.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 pm

AlPal&Ange wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm I see this hiring of McVay as the best possible scenario for Higbee truthers. McVay was a TE coach, then OC. He highlighted Reed..
This. Is exactly what I was going to say. Has to be really good for Higbee, at least in so far as him finally getting a legit shot to produce. I also think it's good for Gurley, since the offense is bound to have more balance and a bit more than "a jr high offense".

Really interested to see what WR's he brings in. He simply has to acknowledge the freaking obvious. And that is the Rams need WR help. Sure they can leverage some of the pieces they have, but they need a legit #1. Hopefully one who they can build around along with Goff, Gurley & maybe Higbee.

joekool
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekool » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 pm

As a Rams fan, we dont have much to be excited about usually, but at least this is hopeful and Wade Philips I think will help balance out McVay.
I am also glad it wasnt Martz, Turner or Mora...or Shanahan or McDaniels.

Also, I think Britt leaves in the off-season.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 am

LA definitely needs to spend money in FA on O-Line help and possibly WR help. They obviously have their 2nd round pick and I believe they should still have a shot at their 3rd rounder?

I'm sure there will still be guys like Dede Westbrook, Isaiah Ford and even saw something with Cooper Kupp...who could provide a significant upgrade.

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:33 am

I tend to think that they'll concentrate on O-line reinforcements and try to coach up some of the potential skill position players.

I'm certainly interested in Higbee if I can get him cheap. Pharoh Cooper too.
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate