Cooks vs. Davante Adams?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Cooks vs. Davante Adams?

Brandon Cooks
82%
Davante Adams
18%

Total votes: 76

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Cooks vs. Davante Adams?

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Yes even the best receivers can have a hard time with the top CB - but some of these top CBs would be licking their chops with Adams across from them all game. Where the best receivers have a hard time, I have to question if Adams wouldn't get completely erased.

With all this said - if Jordy is still there I have a hard time seeing the Packers re signing Adams next year with the money they already have tied up in Jordy & Cobb.

I think Adams makes for a good WR2 in a thriving offense, but I'm not so sure he would be great as a WR1.

amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby amazehayes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Phaded wrote:Yes even the best receivers can have a hard time with the top CB - but some of these top CBs would be licking their chops with Adams across from them all game. Where the best receivers have a hard time, I have to question if Adams wouldn't get completely erased.

With all this said - if Jordy is still there I have a hard time seeing the Packers re signing Adams next year with the money they already have tied up in Jordy & Cobb.

I think Adams makes for a good WR2 in a thriving offense, but I'm not so sure he would be great as a WR1.
I can see him being resigned. I'm not a fan of Cobb at all and I think the packers would try to move away from him and maybe try to draft another receiver to play the slot. But in everything else I agree

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Just one game, but dang in that Lions game, Davante snagged 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion catch. Even while not producing many yards. That's the mark of a good WR (or at least one who has a great QB throwing to him). Pleased to see the latest DLF WR rankings, one ranker ranked Adams at overall WR9, with comments "He's a WR1 now". Totally agree. Cheers,

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 pm

pvillebiker wrote:Just one game, but dang in that Lions game, Davante snagged 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion catch. Even while not producing many yards. That's the mark of a good WR (or at least one who has a great QB throwing to him). Pleased to see the latest DLF WR rankings, one ranker ranked Adams at overall WR9, with comments "He's a WR1 now". Totally agree. Cheers,
Well, he finished the season as WR10 in PPR and WR7 in standard, so he was a WR1 across the board. Pretty remarkable for someone who people thought the Packers would cut in favor of Jeff Janis.

Adams arrow looks to be pointing up, but I still think Cooks is a better player. Cooks was also a WR1 (WR8 in PPR, WR9 in standard) again this year, but you wouldn't know it sometimes based on the comments about him being a "boom or bust" option.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:16 am

Well, That is because Cooks was a bit boom or bust. As an owner of his in more than a couple leagues, I can tell you that he pissed me off and cost me dearly on a few occasions. Having to choose between Cooks, Landry, ARob, DThom, and J.Brown, was next to impossible to get right. ON a few other occasions though, Cooks' contributions allowed me to put up some pretty awesome numbers.

Weekly
1. 33.4
2. 13.8
3. 3.9
4. 6.1
5. bye
6. 30.5
7. 18.8
8. 14.4
9. 11.6
10. 18.8
11. 11.9
12. 0.0
13. 14.7
14. 11.1
15. 37.6
16. 14.8

He is boom or bust to an extent. That isn't a great thing, or a bad thing really. You just have to build your roster around that type of thing. Be aware of it. Your opponent that you are matched up against has some to do with who you start. Swing for fences style or just go for the double... iykwim.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:33 pm

JFever wrote:Well, That is because Cooks was a bit boom or bust.

Weekly (in my opinion)
1. 33.4 BOOM
2. 13.8 Solid
3. 3.9 BUST
4. 6.1 BUST-ish
5. bye
6. 30.5 BOOM
7. 18.8 Solid
8. 14.4 Solid
9. 11.6 OK
10. 18.8 Solid
11. 11.9 OK
12. 0.0 BUST
13. 14.7 Solid
14. 11.1 OK
15. 37.6 BOOM
16. 14.8 Solid
His scoring looks pretty stable to me. A few booms and a few busts. Julio does that too. It seems like the famed world beater Cooper goes absent more than Cooks...but maybe that's just me.

People remember the losses more than the wins. Human nature. When you lose, you will look at the guy that gave you the worst game, which could have been Cooks a few times this year. Those stick in your head. All those weeks of solid contribution are mostly ignored because they are expected. I think people are focusing on the negative as we tend to do, and ignoring the mostly solid contributions from him.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Yeah, kinda normal.

D.Adams per week

1. 14
2. 3.6
3. 10.3
bye
5. 19.5
6. 5.4
7. 38.2
8. 19.4
9. 14.1
10. 21.6
11. 7.2
12. 28.3
13. 2.7
14. 20.4
15. 4.5
16. 14.4

So.... basically, Cooks and Adams are boom or bust guys. I didn't look but, If I were to guess (baring injury of course), I'd say a bit more so than Julio. If you had to start and depend on Adams during the last few weeks (11-16) you were probably like OUCH!!!? But....... Julio was dinged up and on the bench during that same time period, as was AJG, so - a bit of inconsistencies this year by a few,I believe, led to some fairly unexpected results for many owners / leagues. That along with career years out of D.Baldwin, Crabtree, TY Hilton and another (possibly last stand) for Jordy as a top wr scoring option. Crazy year.

Long term, I think we are spitting hairs deciding between these two. I like certain parts of each of their games. If I HAD to pick one and live with it..... I'd slightly lean toward D.Adams as I think he has a higher ceiling and I think Rogers plays longer than Brees.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:37 am

Jason3123 wrote:I see some more false Cooks is inconsistent narrative in here. Classic.

Anywho..Adams has come a long ways but I definitely prefer Cooks because he is great and always has been, and always will be. That said, if I owned Adams I wouldn't be trying to trade him plus a first for Cooks because that wouldn't make my team better. As long as Adams is tied to Rodgers he will continue to produce, although at a much more boom/bust rate than Cooks.
UPDATED: Had sorted weeks backwards before... Thanks NathanQ42
OK, lot of comments on consistency, Cooks vs Adams. Here are Cook's stats by game (.1 pt for yards and 6 pts for TD, pass or rush, -2 for his lost fumble, no PPR cuz that's how I play and it's my lens)
Game 1 27.4
Game 2 6.8
Game 3 1.9
Game 4 3.1
Game 5 23.5
Game 6 11.8
Game 7 10.4
Game 8 6.6
Game 9 15.8
Game 10 4.9
Game 11 0
Game 12 7.7
Game 13 6.1
Game 14 30.6
Game 15 7.8
Game 16 1.9

The 6-8 pt games are OK, nothing like the 2 points people are throwing out there, but he still is wildly inconsistent. Cooks has 5 games under 5 pts (1 is 4.9 pts), and he has only 6 double digit point games.

Now Adams:
Game 1 11
Game 2 0.6
Game 3 8.3
Game 4 14.5
Game 5 3.4
Game 6 25.2
Game 7 5.4
Game 8 10.1
Game 9 15.6
Game 10 4.2
Game 11 23.3
Game 12 1.7
Game 13 16.4
Game 14 2.5
Game 15 10.4
Game 16 15.1

Adams actually has the same number of games with really low point totals (5 games under 5 pts), but has 9 games with double digit point totals.

Finally, their game by game comparison:
Cooks Game 1 27.4 Adams Game 1 11.0
Cooks Game 2 6.8 Adams Game 2 0.6
Cooks Game 3 1.9 Adams Game 3 8.3
Cooks Game 4 3.1 Adams Game 4 14.5
Cooks Game 5 23.5 Adams Game 5 3.4
Cooks Game 6 11.8 Adams Game 6 25.2
Cooks Game 7 10.4 Adams Game 7 5.4
Cooks Game 8 6.6 Adams Game 8 10.1
Cooks Game 9 15.8 Adams Game 9 15.6
Cooks Game 10 4.9 Adams Game 10 4.2
Cooks Game 11 0.0 Adams Game 11 23.3
Cooks Game 12 7.7 Adams Game 12 1.7
Cooks Game 13 6.1 Adams Game 13 16.4
Cooks Game 14 30.6 Adams Game 14 2.5
Cooks Game 15 7.8 Adams Game 15 10.4
Cooks Game 16 1.9 Adams Game 16 15.1

I think Cooks IS more inconsistent than Adams.

Furthermore, I think he will be surpassed by Michael Thomas if he hasn't already been. I think Fleener will be more a part of the offense next year, especially is Sean Payton stays. Even though Brees looks like he could play till he's 50, we may have seen the best of Cooks if he stays in New Orleans.

Cobb could affect Adams's production in Green Bay, but we have been waiting years for him to get back to normal. I think Cobb is the #3 guy there. Adams flopped with his last chance to be the #1 in Green Bay, but I think he was too raw and also injured. I think Adams trajectory is pointing up.

I might still choose Cooks over Adams, especially if I had strong, consistent production at other spots on my roster, but in a vacuum I think I would choose Adams.
Last edited by jetsfan5757 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 am

Idk where you got those cooks stats but they are wrong across the board...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9404/brandin-cooks

Same with Adams.. Were you looking at the right year?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9273/davante-adams
Last edited by nathanq42 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:47 am

Lssd2012 wrote:(1) What happens when Cobb comes back 100% healthy? Lets not forget this guy was a Top 15 dynasty asset just two years ago. He's been limited by an ankle injury (similar to Adams last year) which explains his lack of production. Otherwise, he is a fairly proven player.
IF Cobb comes back healthy, it will affect Davante's production but will also boost the overall offense. Might be a slight hit but not a huge one.
Lssd2012 wrote:(2) What happens when GB drafts a top tier TE, as most expect. This TE class is LOADED and I know it typically takes a few years to develop but these tight end are instant receiving impacts. You could even argue guys like Engram or Njoku are more natural receiver than tight end. Any of these tight ends will be an upgrade over Jared Cook which would increase target share for tight ends thus decreasing target share for wide receivers.
Overblown: Rodgers has never used TE too much, even back during Finley days. I think that also means they probably won't invest serious draft capital there (more likely they jettison Lacy and draft a RB, IMO)
Lssd2012 wrote:(3) What happens when Eddie Lacy comes back (or they draft a RB) and TY Montgomery returns to the slot or becomes a strict passing down back? Once GB gets a real RB, they will not simply forget about Montgomery. Montgomery will continue to eat, likely taking most screen passes and underneath routes, similar to Theo Riddick. This further eats into the target share receivers have in that offense.
Montgomery's role will conflict/overlap with Cobb and whoever is at RB, not Davante. Yes, the offense could be geared to run some more of these screens/underneath routes, but the Pack will not stop going deep. Also, this will only serve to open up the deep ball.

Some of these things could impact Adams, but I really don't think he just goes away or loses the role he has carved out. If he stops dropping easy passes, his production could even increase. There are potential personnel and scheme changes that could affect Adams, but let's not pretend they don't exist for Cooks either: Michael Thomas, a more comfortable/integrated Fleener, Sean Payton leaving, Brees retiring or losing the deep ball that makes Cooks so successful...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 am

nathanq42 wrote:Idk where you got those cooks stats but they are wrong across the board...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9404/brandin-cooks
:doh: I messed up when sorting in excel. Had week 16 as week 1, 15 as 2, etc. Both Players. # of games sub 5 points, double digits, still holds. Corrected comparison.

Cooks Game 1 27.4 Adams Game 1 11.0
Cooks Game 2 6.8 Adams Game 2 0.6
Cooks Game 3 1.9 Adams Game 3 8.3
Cooks Game 4 3.1 Adams Game 4 14.5
Cooks Game 5 23.5 Adams Game 5 3.4
Cooks Game 6 11.8 Adams Game 6 25.2
Cooks Game 7 10.4 Adams Game 7 5.4
Cooks Game 8 6.6 Adams Game 8 10.1
Cooks Game 9 15.8 Adams Game 9 15.6
Cooks Game 10 4.9 Adams Game 10 4.2
Cooks Game 11 0.0 Adams Game 11 23.3
Cooks Game 12 7.7 Adams Game 12 1.7
Cooks Game 13 6.1 Adams Game 13 16.4
Cooks Game 14 30.6 Adams Game 14 2.5
Cooks Game 15 7.8 Adams Game 15 10.4
Cooks Game 16 1.9 Adams Game 16 15.1

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:13 am

JUdoubleD wrote:
Phaded wrote:The real question is - when Jordy is gone, how will Adams fare against the top cover corner if he re-signs?
I agree with this and TheChicken's comments. I don't think Adams can produce as the main threat in an offense.
The poster after this answered it well, but to elaborate: He was an injured 2nd year WR stepping into the #1 role. Do his struggles under those circumstances really mean more to you than his improvement this year???

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 am

Phaded wrote:Yes even the best receivers can have a hard time with the top CB - but some of these top CBs would be licking their chops with Adams across from them all game. Where the best receivers have a hard time, I have to question if Adams wouldn't get completely erased.

In all of my comments, I didn't once think of the fact that he might not stay in GB. If he is out of GB, then I'm not sure how strongly I feel about him. If I only had 1 guy and had no idea which team they would play on, I think I would take Cooks.

However, I'd be pretty surprised if they let Adams go. Seems like trading or even cutting Cobb would be more likely. Adams can (meaning potentially) eventually replace Jordy if he continues improving, and Montgomery can do a lot of the things that Cobb did. Cobb failed miserably as the #1 just like Adams (he was facing injuries), and I doubt they will try to line him up out wide to do the things Jordy does. Not saying that Adams can do those things right now, but it's much more likely he can than Cobb. If I'm Green Bay, I keep Adams or risk starting over from scratch in trying to replace Jordy (Geronimo Allison has some potential, but I think we need to see a LOT more).

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 am

I find it funny that people think Cooks stats are going away considering he was great in college, and has been historically great in the NFL. He will continue to post top 24 WR seasons, multiple more times.

Additionally, Cooks was the Saints WR facing the #1 corners majority of the season. If Michael Thomas does "surpass him" (what does that mean?), he will begin drawing that coverage, which means Cooks will have the better matchup. So then everyone on here will think Cooks "surpassed" him back I guess?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 am

Jason3123 wrote:I find it funny that people think Cooks stats are going away considering he was great in college, and has been historically great in the NFL. He will continue to post top 24 WR seasons, multiple more times.

Additionally, Cooks was the Saints WR facing the #1 corners majority of the season. If Michael Thomas does "surpass him" (what does that mean?), he will begin drawing that coverage, which means Cooks will have the better matchup. So then everyone on here will think Cooks "surpassed" him back I guess?
It's out of bounds to give Cooks credit around here